We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buses to Galle

Which Galle hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
reviews: 1
Buses to Galle

May I know if there is any direct bus from Sigiria, Dehiwala or Mount Lavinia to Galle or must I get to Colombo Fort to catch the bus ?

Will I save much time going from Dehiwala compared to Colombo Fort ?

Thanks.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
reviews: 223
1. Re: Buses to Galle

Hi,

There are direct buses from Dehiwela and Mt Lavinia to Galle. At times, you might not find seats in these buses since they are loaded from Colombo Fort itself. But there will be plenty of buses going to Galle on the Galle Road and I m sure you will find a seat. From Dehiwela to Colombo Fort is around 30 - 40 minutes depending on the traffic and hoping into a bus from Dehiwela to Galle will save that much of time.

Rgds,

Treshi.

2. Re: Buses to Galle

Thank you Treshi,

How long will the bus journey takes from Dehiwala to Galle and what is the minimum time required for a quick visit in Galle? Air Asia's flight cancellations to Colombo really spoiled my whole plan.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
3. Re: Buses to Galle

Hi,

The bus journey is usually 2 - 2 1/2 hrs on the Galle Road from Dehiwela. But if you use the highway, its only one hour from the starting point. There are few things to see around in Galle which is once again depending on your choice. Nice restaurants and gall fort with some museums inside the fort. This wouldnt take half a day or couple of hours but its your choice again.

Sorry to hear about the air asia flight cancellation.

Rgds,

Treshi.

4. Re: Buses to Galle

Thanks again Treshi,

Do you mean just one hour from Galle Face or Colombo as a start point to Galle via highway? How regular is this one hour journey bus ? In this case, shall I visit Lavinia on Day 3 returning from Kandy and Day 4, after sunset set in Galle, catch the one hour bus to Galle Face for the night.

How will you suggest ? I have only 2 nights in Colombo but Galle, Galle Face and Mount Lavinia are all seems better for sunset visit.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
5. Re: Buses to Galle

The starting point for high way is Kottawa/Homagama. It is one hour from this point and for you to get to this point from colombo, it will take another 1 hr or so minimum. The highway buses commence from a town called Maharagama which is in between Kottawa and Nugegoda. This may sound a bit complicated for you and therefore, better you take a bus from Galle Road to Galle which will be much easier for you. There are buses frequently to the highway from Maharagama. You cannot reach Galle Face in one hour in this case as it takes about another one hr from the starting point of the highway to get to the Galle Face.

Its best you visit Galle during the day and then head to Galle Face directly from there and then go back to Mt Lavinia to spend the night as you might not find cheap accommodation in Colombo but Mt Lavinia you will get decent accommodation.

Rgds,

Treshi.

6. Re: Buses to Galle

Ok thanks.

7. Re: Buses to Galle

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, February 21, 2014