We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family trip to Sri Lanka-Planning

Which Galle hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Copenhagen, Denmark
reviews: 1
Family trip to Sri Lanka-Planning

Hello,

We are travelling to Sri Lanka (from Denmark) in February/Marsh for 18 days. We are an Danish/French family of 4 (the kids are 5 and 2).

I have a million questions but from all reading I have done I have come up with an itieray..and It would be great if you´d be so kind to tell me what you think about it? (It will be ready in a day or two)

Regarding accomodation. I wish to stay at places with a pool (for the kids) and wifi if possible for us. Also I want us to stay in the same room as I don´t feel safe leaving the kids in a different room . When looking for hotels on the net, most of them will charge us 2 rooms and reviews are´nt always good!

Can you recommend any (guest house, B&B, hotel) in Negombo, Habarana (the cinnamon lodge looks great a bit pricy of course!)Kandy, Ela, Yala and Mirissa?

Looking forward to hearing from you :o)

Thank-you!

Virginie

Cambridge, United...
reviews: 14
11. Re: Family trip to Sri Lanka-Planning

It is the best time explores Sri Lanka. We went to Sri Lanka this February I would suggest National parks, which would occupy the children. There are some beautiful hotels in Sri Lanka we stayed in some really nice hotels around Sri Lanka. We traveled from London early this year for 4 weeks. It was organized by Polanka Travel. They organized everything we wanted from holiday and organized according to our budget.

We really like the train journey in the hill country. You should book the train ticket in advance to get best seats. They are plenty of room for luggage and you can buy snacks in the train from sellers pop into the train.

Our whale watching was organized. It was good boat and they provided us with life jackets. If you are with children contact the Travel agency to organize everything for you like we did.

Enjoy your holidays.

12. Re: Family trip to Sri Lanka-Planning

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 3:01 am, December 15, 2012
Copenhagen, Denmark
reviews: 1
13. Re: Family trip to Sri Lanka-Planning

Hello,

I just read your post and I am SO curious to hear about your holiday in Sri Lanka! please let me know how it went!!

You can email me at vkerauf@yahoo.com

I have not decided yet whether we travel with our own means or whether we book it with an agency. I have booked the hotels already and I know what we would like to see but what I am really not sure about is the transportation/car + chauffeur part. I realize it would be be much easier to have the agency provide us with a car + chauffeur + they also provide insurance but it probably end up being much more expensive. I am considering finding our own car+ chauffeur.

We bought our tickets with Gulf air a few month ago but they just cancelled them as they have decided to suspend all flight to and from Copenhagen as of Feb 5!! So I had to buy other tickets with Qatar which was an extra 700 Euros! this is that less in our budget!

Anyway I´d love to hear about your experience....

Looking forward to hearing from you,

Virginie

Surahammar
14. Re: Family trip to Sri Lanka-Planning

Hi there, we are also planning on a family trip to Sri lanka from 12/2 until 5/3 this year. Also flying Qatar but from Stockholm. Our kids are 2, 5, 8 and 10. We are planning on staying in Negombo the first week and than travel for about a week or so. We are looking at the following itinerary but would like some input if its even possible or not and if it would be “child friendly”. We have not booked a driver yet since we are considering trains might suit the kids better on some of the routes. How ever, long car rides is not a problem for the kids since they are used to long car rides through out Europe.

We are also a bit concerned about child safety while travelling by car, does any one know if its possible to get/rent car safety seats for the children or can a reliable driver provide such?

Edited: 12:38 pm, January 11, 2013
Surahammar
15. Re: Family trip to Sri Lanka-Planning

Sorry, forgot the intiniary

Day 1 Negombo – Kandy

Day 2 Kandy

Day 3 Kandy – Nuwara Eliya

Day 4 Nuwara Eliya – Visit a tea plantation

Day 5 Nuwara Eliya – Worlds End, is it possible to go the from NE during a day since some of the family might want to stay at the hotel

Day 6 Nuwara Eliya – Yala

Day 7 Yala – Galle, leaving for Galle after morning safari at Yala National Park

Some of the legs on the jurny might be better of by train but on the other hand it may be easier with a car all the way with all of our luggage.

Sorry for borrowing your thread, hope it´s OK

Edited: 12:56 pm, January 11, 2013
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
reviews: 133
16. Re: Family trip to Sri Lanka-Planning

Sounds okay. On Day1 you could stop by at Pinawela.

Day5 works, it's about 45 mins from NE to the entrance and best is to be at entrance at 7 AM. So the rest of the family can have a good sleep and normal B'fast and the hikers need to leave 6:15 with a packed B'fast box...

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

17. Re: Family trip to Sri Lanka-Planning

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, February 05, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Galle