We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

rabies

Which Galle hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Wokingham, United...
reviews: 1
rabies

is it advisable to have this injection for a 2 week stay in sri lanka staying at galle and colombo

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
reviews: 133
1. Re: rabies

Hi there,

Nope. Solely for those working close to animals, e.g. stray dog volunteering, it's helpful. If you as a normal tourist avoid those, and also too close contact to other possible (and unexpectedly bite-ready) beasties like monkeys and bats (!), no problem at all and no more risk than at home to catch the disease...

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Wokingham, United...
reviews: 1
2. Re: rabies

thanks for that imformation

newcastle upon tyne
reviews: 99
3. Re: rabies

If you're still unsure, there's quite a few threads about this topic, have a read & set your mind at ease

Brisbane, Australia
reviews: 26
4. Re: rabies

I recently returned from Sri Lanka on a 2 week trip. I was bitten on the first day of the trip by a cat that was sleeping under my chair (I was not aware it was there) when I stood up I stood on the cat and it bit my ankle. Don't blame it! Only protecting itself.

I had to get 6 injections over 3 courses during my stay and have had a further injection the day I landed back into Australia. In hindsight and I am a frequent traveller to Sri Lanka and Asia I would have had the vaccine before my trip. It took a long time to get the vaccine in the hospitals over there. The injections were given by lovely caring nurses and I can not fault the care however everything takes a long time and so it ate into my trip. I am lucky my husband can speak the language as he was born there. It would have taken longer if he was not with me.

Just food for thought

Kind regards

Jo Dissanayake

5. Re: rabies

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:52 pm, November 26, 2013
6. Re: rabies

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:34 pm, September 03, 2012
uk
reviews: 17
7. Re: rabies

if bitten wash in warm soapy water for at least 5 mins and apply 40% alcohol immediately after .... vodka or similar will suffice

I am not vaccinated and this is the advice of GPs

common sense applies do not approach / stroke animals ...even friendly domesitc pets that look completely normal.

uk
reviews: 17
8. Re: rabies

if bitten wash in warm soapy water for at least 5 mins and apply 40% alcohol immediately after .... vodka or similar will suffice

I am not vaccinated and this is the advice of GPs

common sense applies do not approach / stroke animals ...even friendly domesitc pets that look completely normal.

New York City, New...
reviews: 63
9. Re: rabies

That is spectacularly bad information if the animal is rabid. Regular bites, sure.

The US says only get a shot if you will be there more than 30 days or will be in contact with animals.

Since I am also going to India, where the no kill policy for strays is causing huge problems even in cities, I need to think about what to do.

10. Re: rabies

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

Removed on: 10:17 pm, December 13, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Galle