We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Security problems

Which Bentota hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Mumbai
reviews: 2
Security problems

Hi , I read about trouble brewing in Sri Lanks in the news today, and our trip is to Colombo , Kandy and Dambulla , Sigiriya around the 3rd week of August. Your advice, please. Should we go ahead or cancel?

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
reviews: 144
1. Re: Security problems

Hi there,

All areas will be fully safe for tourists, as they always were even during the war. Take care with some Colombo situations however, as you also should with Mumbai commuter trains.

See also

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g297895-i9507-k728…

Have a nice (and safe) holiday,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

PS We'll be there ourselves next month, so really nothing to worry...

Mumbai
reviews: 2
2. Re: Security problems

thanks Erik. Your words are as always very reassuring.

3. Re: Security problems

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:07 pm, March 29, 2011
Hampshire
reviews: 5
4. Re: Security problems

Hi

I've just returned from a week in Sri Lanka visiting all the places you listed and never at any time felt concerned for my safety (other than when trying to cross the roads, but thats another story!!)

I would say go ahead with your holiday and have a great time, just be aware of your surroundings as you would in any other place.

HH

Ahungalla, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka, Kalutara, Ahungalla
reviews: 9
5. Re: Security problems

Hi Homemaker

DO NOT cancle yor planned trip to Sri Lanka, you will be just fine out there.

All the places that you have mentioned are, and have always been perfectly safe for us toursists.

I am going once more for a month in November this year.

Regards

Dave

Nottingham
reviews: 7
6. Re: Security problems

HI folks,

It is an interesting topic, i have a trip planed (as Erik will know as he helped with the itinerary) and picked up on some fairly widely reported fighting in the NE and must admin, I too am alittle worried by it.

I appreciate it it restricted to those areas and that it centres around access to the resevior (that is the trigger any way). But i can't help remembering that Sri Lanka is not that big .. what are the chances it spills further south and or west? I understood from previous notes that it never really spread beyond the north and east even during the worse time sin the past, is that correct?

I think we will take stock of it and kep an eye on the situation, but i do not want to cancel our trip or change our plans .. but I obviously have to consider the safety of my family to.

So i understand your concerns and it IS good to hear from people like Erik on the ground.

So thanks.

simon

Ahungalla, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
7. Re: Security problems

Hi Simon

Ok, to put a matter or two staright here i think, Erik like me are in fact NOT resident in Sri Lanka but like you, but maybe with many more visits uner our belts so to speak, are in fact both tourists.

Erik has the better inside knowledge as he has family there, where as i have only friends, although both are really useful when it comes to keeping up to date with current issues.

Ok, so onto your recent posting Simon, both Erik and myself have been to Sri Lanka many times, yes, in good times and bad too, and believe me the current happenings DO NOT put this among the bad times by any means, so please do try to relax a little here ok, you will be perfectly safe in going to Sri Lanka.

Yes, you will probably encounter strong security, but at the end of the day who cares about that as long as your safety is secured, and that is what the Sri Lankan government will be concerned about more than anything right now.

Erik as he says will be going back to his second home next month, follwed by me again in November for a months stay, the 3rd this year alone, and i can tell you one thing here, neither he, nor me will be worried for a moment about security issues, and Erik has more to be worried about thatn me, as he will have his family along too.

So Simon, the message is clear!!, DO NOT cancel, you will be just fine ok, go and enjoy what this fab country has to offer, you will bitterly regret not doing so if you were to cancel.

Maybe worth mentioning one thing here, the Tigers fight is with the government of Sri Lanka, and NOT us as tourists, and your tour company will cancel your holiday if they think for one moment there is ANY risk to you.

Hope this helps

Regards

Dave

Nottingham
reviews: 7
8. Re: Security problems

HI Dave,

Thanks for clarifying a few points there and apologies for my errors. I well written and well informed post. Thanks for the detail it really does help those poor folks who hae never been aand have to rely on the media for information .. to make a better informed choice.

I wasn't meaning to worry or put anyone off. i have been genuinely overwealmed by the kindnes shown by yourself and Erik alike, just expressing some genuine feelings having read the news today.

Your points are very god and while heavy security can look a little concerning, it is there for our benefit, i'm not going to complain about that!

Foreign office advice is all clear as long as you stay away from the north and east too.

Thanks,

Simon

Ahungalla, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
9. Re: Security problems

Simon

Glad to be of some help, and Erik and myself would be very glad to help with any other questions that you and or others may have at any time, so please do ask.

Also our great friend Treshi who is on the ground in Colombo will glady help too, although at this time she has her family over from Canada at this time, so will be a little busy right now.

As regards to the Forieng Office advice website, that info has been unchnaged now for many years, so obvioulsy they are not to worried at this time either.

Go and have a great time ok , as i know that you, like Erik, his family and i will do.

Regards

Dave

Milano
reviews: 16
10. Re: Security problems

Hi Erick and Dave,

thank you very much for all your support!

I should be leaving for Sri Lanka in a few days with my boyfriend,

to do the usual tour (Cultural triangle, Kandy, etc.) with a local driver.

I have just spoken to my embassy in Colombo and they have INFORMALLY ADVISED me NOT TO GO to Anuradapura, Polonnaruwa, Sigiriya...

What should we do in your opinion?

Thanks again

Eleonora