We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

sri lanka plan

Which Bentota hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Guangzhou, China
sri lanka plan

Hello everyone. I plan to go sri lanka from 4,feb to 13 feb,2013.

Could any one give me the suggestion for he trip for 10days as per the weather ,everything.

tks

Edited: 2:59 am, January 09, 2013
Fredericia, Denmark
Destination Expert
for Bentota, Beruwala, Sri Lanka
reviews: 7
1. Re: sri lanka plan

2-3 bases, e.g. Cultural Triangle, Kandy an Hill Country.

In February you can expect sunny and dry weather.

Hans

Edited: 3:04 am, January 09, 2013
Guangzhou, China
2. Re: sri lanka plan

Dear Hans,

Thanks. It seems it is a good news for the weather. As my coutnry is very cold. And could you sugggest me the detailed famous place worth to visit in this month?

Fredericia, Denmark
Destination Expert
for Bentota, Beruwala, Sri Lanka
reviews: 7
3. Re: sri lanka plan

Sigiriya, Polonnaruwa, Dambulla Cave Temple. Tooth Temple, Botanical Gardens, Little Adams Peak. Liptons Seat - just to mention a few.

Hans

Guangzhou, China
4. Re: sri lanka plan

Thoese in Kandy, right? then How many days i can take for that? I also wanna go to check the tea plation by train? Can take that on the river in this month?

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
reviews: 132
5. Re: sri lanka plan

No those are spread out over the three areas. Hans used a nice 3-2-2 formula as they call it in sports: 3 for Triangle, 2 for Kandy, 2 for the hills. I'd use at least 2 nights for each base, for Triangle maybe even 3. And transport Kandy-Ella and Ella-Colombo can be done by train, Colombo-Triangle with some difficulty also, but Triangle-Kandy needs taxi or bus. Don't understand what you ask about 'river', if you could please clarify?

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Edited: 3:59 am, January 09, 2013
Guangzhou, China
6. Re: sri lanka plan

HI

1)it means can see the sea by train, somebody told me that to tea plation can by this kind of train, it is funny for me.

2.so it is like that:

Sigiriya, Polonnaruwa, Dambulla Cave Temple. ---culture triangle---3nites

Tooth Temple, Botanical Gardens------kandy----2nites

Little Adams Peak. Liptons Seat -----------hill---(how many nites better)

3.and my flight is 11am in cmb airpot, if i could head to Kandy directly by train, or go to culture triangel , which is better?

4.And I wanna make the last station is beach after hill area, and which beach is better in FEB?

5. I heard somebody siad the entrance fee is expensive in Sri lanka, and I have a stendent card, can get any discount?

thanks a lot

Michelle

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
7. Re: sri lanka plan

Hi again Michelle,

Okay now it's clear. Bentota would probably be a good beach and can be reached by train (and has a large river too). If you stick to public transport as much as possible it would be:

* 4th arrive at 11 AM, take bus to Dambulla from airport (limited luggage space!); transfer needed in Kurunegala and first at the Katunayke bus stand. You'd arrive just before dark

* 7th bus to Kandy

* 9th train to Ella for 2 nights

* 11th train to Colombo and then on to Bentota, overall a 10 hour journey and you'd arrive after dark

* 13th (or 12th if flight is very early) to Negombo/airport, by train and bus

Student cards don't get discount but many attractions have a discount for 'SAARC countries + China' which is about 50% off the price for Western tourists.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Guangzhou, China
8. Re: sri lanka plan

Dear Erik,

It is very clear to me . And for the train if i need to book on line? Also somebody said the train is not stable, someitems have, someitms no, then do u suggest me rend a car. We are 4 persons. But someboady said public transport can enjoy the life in Sri lanka. Can u give me some suggestion.

Is it true? China can get 50 % off the price? But why some friends from China they went to visit sigiriya, they need to paid usd 30?Can you let me know how can get a discount price for the entance fee. I understand this coountry need help for money, but i don't think the entance fee worth usd30.

thanks

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
9. Re: sri lanka plan

Hi again,

Okay correction: for the main cultural sites, like Triangle, CCF site says

ccf.lk/visitors_tickets_sri_lanka/index.php

only SAARC gets discount, Chinese not. But other sites, probably Pinawela, adds China and so do many hotels which (through operators only, not through their own websites or the Agoda-like sites) have special block rates for SAARC+China.

Train can only be booked online for the special coaches, www.exporail.lk and www.rajadhani.lk. Relatively expensive, but one has a seat guarantee. 1st class on same train can be booked from the large stations like Kandy, also for the ride 2 days later Ella-Colombo; but as it opens 10 days before travel date it could or could not already be sold out.

Train is stable in the sense that it will bring you to your destination, the odd strike excepted. It's not very stable in timing yes, on longer distances 1-2 hours delay can happen. And of course car-driver is better than train or bus but a lot more expensive...

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

10. Re: sri lanka plan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, January 11, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Bentota