We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rail Service From/To Bentota

Which Bentota hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Doncaster, United...
reviews: 45
Rail Service From/To Bentota

Hi Guys

I wonder if you may be able to help me please.

We are due to travel to Bentota later this week. We would like to travel by train independently to Galle for the day, for the experience, but I have been informed by a local (via email) that if we chose to travel independently in this way we would not be able to see what Galle has to offer. I assumed this was due to train times and despite several attempts, we cannot find a timetable online.

Does anyone agree with this statement or could it be that my contact just wants us to book a tour with him?

Any information much appreciated please.

Many thanks

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
reviews: 131
1. Re: Rail Service From/To Bentota

Hi Dawn,

The timetable is here

www.gic.gov.lk/gic/index.php…

and he's talking nonsense. The railway station is 5-10 mins walk from the Fort and very well suited to see all nice Galle things. Enough train connections also.

Do note that trains from Bentota station to the south aren't many, BUT you'd better plan with Aluthgama station as a base; this is across the bridge, about 1 km walk/tuktuk/bus from most Bentota hotels. Here all express trains stop.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Fredericia, Denmark
Destination Expert
for Bentota, Beruwala, Sri Lanka
reviews: 7
2. Re: Rail Service From/To Bentota

If you decide to walk to Aluthgama it is a slight shortcut walking on/along the railway line after you have crossed the bridge across Bentota river.

Hans

newcastle upon tyne
reviews: 100
3. Re: Rail Service From/To Bentota

Sometimes the locals tell you a few porkies :).

I would check the train times, once you get to Bentota, & then catch an early train down to Galle, making sure you know what times the return trains are, as there isn't a frequent service.

Doncaster, United...
reviews: 45
4. Re: Rail Service From/To Bentota

Many thanks for taking the time to respond.

I suspected as much!

This is a great link and I've found the information I need.

Many thanks

Dawn

5. Re: Rail Service From/To Bentota

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, November 27, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Bentota