We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to go from Busan to Gyeongju

Which Gyeongju hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore
Best way to go from Busan to Gyeongju

Hello, all. I am deliberating between taking a train or bus to Gyeongju

I am considering the bus because it goes straight to the town area of Gyeongju rather than its outskirts, and seems much cheaper than using the train, which I am not sure will save me time (at seemingly much higher expense) since the train goes to Singyeongju on Gyeongju's outskirts and I have to take a cab into town.

Time-wise, the bus ride is estimated to be 50 mins, while that for train is 30 mins. If I factor the taxi ride after the train, the time difference may not be that big.

Expense-wise, the bus costs 4,100 to 4,900 won, while that for the train along is 10,700 won. Considering the taxi fare, the difference seems rather big between the bus and train + taxi option.

Does anyone have recommendations on which one I should pick? While hearing that the train ride offers nice scenery, I am wondering whether it is free seating or specifically assigned seating on the bus and trains.

Cheonan, South Korea
Destination Expert
for South Korea
1. Re: Best way to go from Busan to Gyeongju

The choice is up to you, and the KTX between Busan and Gyeongju(SinGyeongju St.) ride doesn't offers you nice scenery, it runs through half underground, half ground, if I remeber rightly. and assigned seat. there's a bus from SinGyeongju st. to downtown as well.

Edited: 12:45 am, March 07, 2012
Singapore
2. Re: Best way to go from Busan to Gyeongju

Thank you very much for highlighting about the scenery bit !

For the bus, would you know whether the seats are assigned and comfortable, and whether I have to purchase the excellent class seats for this? I am travelling with my mother and would like her to comfortable, especially if the ride is 50 mins - 1 hr on the road.

Does the bus cater to small carry-on luggage only, or can accomodate bigger luggages (we would be in Korea for around 13 days)?

Singapore, Singapore
reviews: 4
3. Re: Best way to go from Busan to Gyeongju

Hi,

I hope you don't mind me hitching a ride on this thread.

1. I am also interested to know if we can bring small to medium-sized luggage up the buses. My friend and I will be flying from Jeju to Busan, then taking bus to Gyeongju, Gyeongju to Andong, and then Andong to Seoul (this may be by train).

2. I would like to get some advice on Busan to Gyeongju as well.

- What are the buses to take, how much and how long? What are their timings?

- Can I buy the bus ticket on the spot? Are buses likely to be full?

- Is Busan airport far from the Busan bus terminals? Or can I take the bus from Busan airport to Gyeongju directly?

3. I'm quite lost on the part from Gyeongju to Andong. What are the buses to take and what are their timings? I think I saw some info somewhere, but that maybe from 2009...not sure if there are any changes?

Thanks in advance for your replies. I appreciate your patience with my questions!!

Singapore, Singapore
reviews: 61
4. Re: Best way to go from Busan to Gyeongju

I am in Gyeongju now and leaving to Seoul. A couple of days ago I arrived via Busan Gimhae airport. When you exit the domestic terminal, turn right and the ticket counter for the limousine bus is at the end. Don't worry the bus is comfortable. The bus is a 27 seater coach, similar to the ones from Singapore to Malaysia. There is luggage storage or you can bring it up the bus with you. I took my 20" backpack up the bus n it was fine. The journey is about 70mins if no slow traffic. You will be alighted outside the Gyeongju bus terminal, walk ahead n you will see tourist info centre, the staff can speak English n you can ask abt travelling around, get a map or sign up for city tour at the office behind tourist info centre building. If you want to take public bus ard Gyeongju, you can use your t-money if you have one.

Singapore, Singapore
5. Re: Best way to go from Busan to Gyeongju

Hi Lilacsugar,

Thanks for your reply. It's been most helpful.

Can I just do a quick check with you on where you stayed in Gyeongju? The popular Sa Rang Chae guesthouse is full for the dates that I will be there.

Am trying to contact Luckywon or Sundosanbang. Or else I'll just appear at the Gyeongju Tourist office and ask for recommendations like what some people did.

Cheers,

Kieryl

Singapore, Singapore
6. Re: Best way to go from Busan to Gyeongju

There are many motels in the area near the bus terminal, if you dont mind. I stayed at Gyeongju Godo Guesthouse. It is halfway between downtown area n bulguksa temple area but is very accessible by buses. Both bus no. 10 & 11 runs along the road to this guesthouse. These are the 2 buses you will need to travel between downtown, bulguksa n bomun resort areaa. They run in opposite routes. These 2 buses will announce the stops to key tourist sites in english.

Owner of the guesthouse is a very nice lady, Mrs Kim. She speaks english sparingly but makes every effort to communicate even with the help of a translation app. The guestroom is comfortable, clean n looks new.

Edited: 12:57 pm, April 04, 2012
Singapore, Singapore
7. Re: Best way to go from Busan to Gyeongju

There are many motels in the area near the bus terminal, if you dont mind. I stayed at Gyeongju Godo Guesthouse. It is halfway between downtown area n bulguksa temple area but is very accessible by buses. Both bus no. 10 & 11 runs along the road to this guesthouse. These are the 2 buses you will need to travel between downtown, bulguksa n bomun resort areaa. They run in opposite routes. These 2 buses will announce the stops to key tourist sites in english.

Owner of the guesthouse is a very nice lady, Mrs Kim. She speaks english sparingly but makes every effort to communicate even with the help of a translation app. The guestroom is comfortable, clean n looks new.

Singapore, Singapore
8. Re: Best way to go from Busan to Gyeongju

The website is www.godominbak.com

you can send her email or add their facebook page n msg on their fb wall.

I paid 30 000 won per nite for single room. Totally worth it!

Singapore, Singapore
9. Re: Best way to go from Busan to Gyeongju

Dear Lilacsugar,

Thanks for the information & tips!

I'll check out Godo minbak and try contacting them =)

Thanks once again.

Cheers,

Kieryl

Singapore, Singapore
10. Re: Best way to go from Busan to Gyeongju

No problem, happy to help!