We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where to begin

Miami, Florida
reviews: 97
where to begin

Hi--we have never been to upstate NY and are considering the area for a weeks vacation next summer. We would be renting a cabin (probably vrbo or something similar). We are into the outdoors and being outside as much as possible. We would probably fly into NYC and then rent a car to drive up to our location where we would base ourselves for the week. We like hiking (nothing more then 4-5 hours a day), being on the water (kayaking, canoeing) and wildlife and nature. Not into anything touristy and would need some where along the way to pick up basic groceries for our stay. Any locations to begin our rental search would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much.

Adirondack, New York
reviews: 88
1. Re: where to begin

If your main reasons for this trip are outdoor activities and the Adirondacks why won't you consider flying to Plattsburgh airport? It is a small but new airport with many direct and inexpensive flights from various points in Florida. Rent a car there and you will pay a fraction of what you would pay when renting in NYC. From there is a short drive to Lake Placid. Driving without any traffic should be a big surprise after Miami.

You could consider a week rental in Lake Placid, Saranac Lake, or Wilmington (least expensive). You’ll be in the center of hiking trails. You can chose trails accordingly. They are everywhere. You can kayak on Ausable River and many lakes in the area. Groceries are short distance away but first figure out all details of your itinerary and then I or any local residents can help you with locations of large supermarkets and maybe farmers markets too. Plattsburgh has several supermarkets (Hannaford, Price Chopper, Walmart).

We have a number of friends and family member who rented a cabin in Wilmington. The cabin is not on a water but with a stunning view of Whiteface from the living room windows. I won't mention a name of the cabin here on this forum but i think it is listed on cyber rentals and maybe other rental sites too. I could ask. You if rent after Labor Day they used to have special rates. My friends from TX rented a place for a whole month because it was less expensive this way than renting for a week in Lake Placid. September is a great time to visit the Adirondacks because of no bugs, Indian Summer, less people along hiking trails, apple picking, corn, farmers’ markets, fruit/vegetables stands. As you know the Adirondacks is a huge place (6 million acres) and High Peaks is only a small part of it. If you place yourself in the Lake Placid/Wilmington area you can also go to Burlington, VT. Montreal is 2 hours away if you get to much scenery and outdoors. High Peaks/ the Lake Placid area is accessible from airports in Plattsburgh, Burlington, Albany, Montreal.

Adirondack, New York
2. Re: where to begin

are you trying to decide between the Adirondacks, Shenandoah, Yellowstone, Grand Canyon, Arches, Zion, Bryce or are you visiting them all in the summer or 2012?

Miami, Florida
3. Re: where to begin

I wish I could say I was visiting them all but...I am trying to decide. After initially researching a trip out west we have decided to go with something cheaper and stay on our own coast. We have spent many summers in NC and love the mountains but are looking for a different location.

Vestal, New York
Destination Expert
for Auburn, Finger Lakes
reviews: 143
4. Re: where to begin

If you want a true Adirondack experience, do not stay in Lake Placid. Any of the smaller towns in the region would be better choices.

Adirondack, New York
5. Re: where to begin

So many hikers, kayakers, backpackers, bikers, Ironman competitors, skiers, horseback riders, snowboarders, skaters stay in Lake Placid and have great outdoor experiences. The village of Lake Placid and its area is a perfect spot to base yourself for all types of outdoor activities. If you stay on Main Street and restrict yourself to shopping, restaurants and bars then maybe it is not my type of vacations but if that's what someone wants and this is his/her type of the Adirondack experience then it is their choice. Everybody should have, IMHO, own view what "true" experiences are and one should be in charge of it. We can only make suggestions.

Miami, Florida
6. Re: where to begin

Thank you for all of your suggestions. I have not yet had time to research this trip anymore but we are looking for something more quiet and nature oriented, rather then the "hustle and bustle" of shops and restaurants. I am thinking that somewhere outside of lake placid would be perfect...it would allow us to enjoy restaurants and a short drive to montreal but we would focus on hiking and being outdoors. Thank you very much for your help and recommendations...I welcome all of them.

Wilmington, New York
reviews: 3
7. Re: where to begin

Then I reiterate "Places'" suggestion that you look into Wilmington NY. (I live there!) go to website whitefaceregion.com for further info!

8. Re: where to begin

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:18 am, October 06, 2012