We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Adirondack mountain vacation

Illinois
reviews: 36
Adirondack mountain vacation

We have 3 or 4 families planning a group vacation and would like to stay 4 days or more in the Adirondacks. How do you choose the best area to stay? Lake Placid, Lake George, Sarnac Lakes?? Please advice. We have kids ranging from 8 - 17. Some of us fish, some hike, but none are true "rough it" people. We saw info on Ausable Chasm. Where is the best bet to base ourself out of. I'm thinking we'd like easy lake, swimming, hiking access.

Upstate New York
reviews: 13
1. Re: Adirondack mountain vacation

The problem you're apt to have is actually finding someplace to stay. Probably your best bet is to try to rent a house on a lake. Check out the various realtors and maybe VRBO.

If you don't want to rent a house, try Hedges or Hemlock Hall. You might try the Irondequoit Inn too. They have some cabins and an inn. They're in a nice location and not too expensive. It's sort of hit-or-miss in terms of management though.

Of the places you listed, I'd probably prefer Saranac, the Lake Placid, and way last Lake George (which in my opinion barely qualifies as the Adirondacks - it's really a bit of a zoo). I prefer the quiet, less "discovered" regions of the park. They have wonderful small towns with 100% local flavor. I just really like that, so little of America has that left, no chains, no Wal-Mart.

Be sure to take the kids kayaking - they'll love it and it's very easy. Get a book by Barbara McMartin that highlights some easier hikes (there are several).

If you look on the previous thread started by "krpasta" you can read some other suggestions I gave.

Good luck and be sure to report back!

Vestal, New York
Destination Expert
for Auburn, Finger Lakes
reviews: 141
2. Re: Adirondack mountain vacation

I would also recommend Saranac Lake over Lake Placid or Lake George if you want a truer, more laid back Adirondack experience. Even though Lake Placid and Saranac Lake are only 8 miles apart physically, they are worlds apart vibe-wise.

Ausable Chasm is a reasonable distance north (30-35 miles) from Saranac Lake.

The high peaks gateway is south of Lake Placid in the Keene area (SR 73). This is a beautiful drive even if you choose not to hike here.

I'd also recommend the Blue Mountain area; the excellent Adirondack Museum is located here and the climb up the mountain can be done by everyone.

Have fun in our beautiful state!

3. Re: Adirondack mountain vacation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:21 am, September 18, 2009