We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thinking About Seychelles & Praslin!

Which Praslin Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London
reviews: 4
Thinking About Seychelles & Praslin!

I've been looking at a little 7 night trip around May (I understand that this is a good time??) to this wonderful place...but on a budget. I know the travel to the Seychelles and the word "budget" don't normally go together, but I'm hoping we can still achieve it somewhat!

Came across Isles des Palmes as a very nice little place to stay - near Anse Takamara. However, two things concern me about staying in these types of places - food (self-catering) and location to snorkelling spots.

How easy is it to get food to cook and does it work out expensive? Any idea on rough costs? Or is it possible to buy meals at restaurants at a relatively good price?

I understand the beach by the hotel is too shallow for swimming. Is there any other beaches nearby where we could snorkel? We're not strong swimmers though, so don't want to venture past the reef drop off so bear that in mind!

Not sure where the nearest reef would be and how easy it is to get there on a daily basis. I understand getting around Praslin is quite easy by bus...is this really the case? Or can we bike it around? Or is car hire a must?

Any help would be appreciated! :)

Bucharest
Destination Expert
for Seychelles
reviews: 65
1. Re: Thinking About Seychelles & Praslin!

Hello pridash!

Isles des Palmes is under refurbishment, they are expecting to finish the works at the end of April. They will have a restaurant and also accomodation will be equipped with A/C (information received from the owners). The best snorkeling spots I found at Anse Possession near the rocks and also at Anse Lazio. Travelling by bus is recommended if you go to places like Cote d'Or, Valle du Mai, Grand Anse or Anse Possession. If you do not have strong feet then for Anse Lazio or Anse Georgette is better to rent a car because there is 1.2 kms to go from bus station to Anse Lazio (steep hill) and around 7-800 m to the gates of Constance Lemuria. Travelling by bus in Seychelles might be tricky because there is no clear bus schedule. The waiting time between 2 buses is between 15 and 45 mins and after 6 pm it will be very difficult to find one. So please plan your trip accordingly.

The best shops we found were in Cote d'Or Area and also between the airport and Lemuria and you can find a fair offer of raw food. Also in Cote d'Or Area you will find fruits and fish sellers so staying in this area will help you re-stock better.

Acquario Villa and Villa Kass are very good accomodation located 1-2 kms away from Cote d'Or area in Anse Petite Cour and Anse Possession.

A trip to La Digue is a must.

Miki

London
2. Re: Thinking About Seychelles & Praslin!

Hi Miki - thanks for your reply and I've read some of your other posts which are really helpful!

I'm at work at the moment so will check out the map again later to see where those places are on the Island as I'm just starting to get familiar with it. So are those snorkelling places easy to get to by bike maybe? Me and my wife are reasonably fit so I'm thinking we should be ok.

I'll check out the villas you recommended to see if they fit in our price range.

Yep La Digue i planned...in fact I'm thinking of whether we would be better placed to stay there for our 7 night and skip Praslin all together. Good idea? Maybe the snorkelling is better there?

Edited: 10:59 am, February 15, 2013
Bucharest
Destination Expert
for Seychelles
3. Re: Thinking About Seychelles & Praslin!

Hi Pridash!

I do not advise you to use bike on Praslin. Very Narrow and steep roads and formula 1 one bus drivers can put your life in danger. Actually I have not seen anyone biking on Praslin. Bike is recommended for La Digue.

The prices of the recommended villas is 90-110 euro/day with or without breakfast.

It is a really great idea to stay only on La Digue. My next trip from April is mostly spent on La Digue which is my favourite island in Seychelles. There is no traffic, it is a small island but with plenty of deserted beaches which I consider the most beautiful on Earth (Anse Source d'Argent and Anse Marron).

Miki

London
4. Re: Thinking About Seychelles & Praslin!

I think you've sold me on LaDigue! Will post the question about that on the other thread!

Bucharest
Destination Expert
for Seychelles
5. Re: Thinking About Seychelles & Praslin!

Pridash one more thing:

For me bikes are mandatory on La Digue, we like active vacations, we use taxi only when we arrive / leave La Digue.

Did Apever confirm you the reservation?

Miki

London
6. Re: Thinking About Seychelles & Praslin!

Hi Miki.

Yes we'll definitely be renting bikes!

And yes, he did reply - quite quickly as well. I'm all set, except for the number of reviews I'm reading about Etihad Airlines...not very nice at all! If it wasn't for the extremely early return flight of 07:30 / 08:15, I'd be flying Qatar/Emirates. I wonder if anyone else has flown on Etihad recently?

Praslin Island...
7. Re: Thinking About Seychelles & Praslin!

Hi Pridash, on Praslin island there's a new Self-catering, Seashell self-catering its at Anse kerlan not far from lemuria hotel and Anse georgette beach, and if you planning to go to Anse lazio without taking buses you can walk for 45 minutes. There's 2 supermarket , one mini market, bicycle rental, car hire rental and 2 Restaurant nearby.The rates for the self-catering is 50 euro per night for 2 people.

London
8. Re: Thinking About Seychelles & Praslin!

Thanks for the info! However we've decided to stay at La Digue for virtually all our holiday along with a night in Mahe before our flight back. Hope we haven't made a bad choice! :)

Samos, Greece
reviews: 55
9. Re: Thinking About Seychelles & Praslin!

Good choice!! Hope your accom is in LaPasse as some can be far away from the shops etc. Check out Anse Severe, and good swimming & snorkeling at the beach just before LaOrangerie even at low tide.

Don't worry about the airline they are all about the same just try for the one with the shortest layover in Doha, DuBai or where ever you change for Seychelles. I haeard bad things for Qatair but it was no different than Emirates. Check Mr. Alfa taxi and take it easy, he will take you anywhere and return to pick you up same price as 2 bikes for a day. Who wants to pedal & sweat after a day in the sea & sun! Very humid so 28 seems like 38

but you get used to it in a day or so.

Seychelles
10. Re: Thinking About Seychelles & Praslin!

I was on La Digue for the day yesterday and we had lunch for the first time at Labousir close to Anse Source d'Argent. I found it really pleasant - simple and local, cool with high roofs, quick service and good food. If you are travelling with children they do half portions on request and the chicken noodles delicious! I felt like a curry so I tried the chicken curry and it was good but the veg served with it outstanding. Fair value not the cheapest of restaurants but fresh food and would do again definetly.