We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maldives or Seychelles in June

Which Mahe Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London
reviews: 27
Maldives or Seychelles in June

Please help. We are trying to book our honeymoon for June and cannot decide between the Maldives and the Seychelles. I prefer the look of the Maldives resorts, and the small island getaway but am worried about the weather in June. In the Seychelles I like the look of the Banyan Tree in Mahe, but have heard that you cannot safely swim in the sea at this time of year, and that the sea is very rough. We cannot afford North Island or Fregate which look amazing, and I am not sure about Denis Island or Lemuria on Praslin.

Does anyone have knowledge of the different Seychelle resorts, and/or visited the Seychelles and the Maldives in June or July to tell me if there is much difference? We have never spent this much on a holiday and I am really nervous about not making the best decision.

london
1. Re: Maldives or Seychelles in June

Seychelles should have excellent weather in June. It's one of the best months to visit, as it's less humid and less lightly to rain than the strangely more popular winter months. Having said that last year in June there were 4 days of heavy rain. It is the tropics and you can never be 100% sure what the weather will do.

I don't know the Maldives, although I believe that June is slap bang in the middle of their rainy season.

If you want the small intimate island resort feel, but can't spring for North and Fregate (who can!)I think Denis or the larger Desroches would be a good bet. I've only been to Bird Island, similar to Denis, myself. It was stunning, and a must for nature lovers, but as for swimming, the sea was rough on one side and very shallow on the other.

Consider L'Archipel on Praslin. It's got a small, pretty beach and fab views. It's next to the stunning Cote D'Or, has great rooms and good food. It's got the sort of romantic atmosphere that would suit a honeymoon. La Reserve is also good, but I think it's shut for a refurb.

Lemuria has 3 beaches, but the main one where the villas/suites are, will be too rough in June. It's a trek to the one really good swimming beach. And it's very pricey.

Praslin is gorgeous and still really rustic. And of course you can visit the vallee de Mai and the famous Anse Lazio-a truly amazing beach. It's also a good base for visiting other islands. La Digue is a short boat trip away and has bounty bar beaches and ox carts for taxis.

Don't dismiss Mahe. Banyan Tree may have the luxury feel but it's not very "seychellois". For a more creole experience try Anse Soliel Beachcomber. It's small and extremely out of the way in the wilder south of Mahe, on a pretty beach.

Great sunsets and you really feel cut off from the rest of the world. But you can still get out and visit attractions like Michael Adams gallery and even view the crashing waves at the nearby Intendance(Banyan Tree beach)

If you like sea swimming, DON'T go for Banyan Tree, as lovely as it is as a hotel. The sea will be very dangerous in June.

Broxburn, UK
reviews: 4
2. Re: Maldives or Seychelles in June

Hi LouLou, We are going to the Banyan Tree on 5th June. We are not much bothered about swimming in the sea, but we have booked a "villa by the rocks" and from these you can see and hear the waves lapping against the rocks next to your private villa. You have your own pool, jet pool and outdoor dining area,very romantic. Sounds perfect for a honeymoon.

Seattle, USA
reviews: 118
3. Re: Maldives or Seychelles in June

Having been to both places several times it really boils down to what you want to do. The maldives is strictly a beach holiday and a wonderful one. Much more fun on the beaches in the Maldives than the Seychelles. I'm always struck by how expensive the Seychelles are and that alone would lead me to the Maldives.

UK
reviews: 25
4. Re: Maldives or Seychelles in June

I much prefer the Seychelles, particularly the out islands.

The maldives are very pretty, but for a fortnight we found it a bit boring. Aside from the great diving there isn't a great deal to do but sunbathe.

The Seychelles are a great destination for island hopping. We loved Praslin & Desroches ( spectacular diving there) but found Mahe a bit 'resorty'. The beaches on praslin are stunning.

Stockport
reviews: 1
5. Re: Maldives or Seychelles in June

Hi. Myself & my fiance are looking into the Seychelles for our honeymoon, which will be the very end of May into the beginning of June, is this a good time to go weather wise??? Im a little worried about this. Which is our best bet, Seychelles or Maldives? Also is their a such thing as affordable luxury??? Would appreciate anyones advice.

Broxburn, UK
reviews: 4
6. Re: Maldives or Seychelles in June

You will see from my earlier post that i was due to go to the Seychelles. Well the post is from 2006 so obviously we have been. All I can say it was the most beautiful place we have been to. The Banyan Tree was stunning and the views from our villa were absolutely breathtaking. As it so happens, we have just returned from the Maldives a few weeks ago and yes, the place was your picture postcard stuff. ...turquoise waters, sugar white sand and just peace, glorious peace.But, if I am honest, I did actually prefer the Seychelles. I think you would get more for your money in the Maldives as the resorts in the Sychelles are much higher priced than the Maldives. We stayed at Huvafen Fushi in the Maldives and it was expensive, but in this case you do get what you pay for. There are much cheaper alternatives which are just a slovely. Veligandu is very popular also Sun Island. it depends what your budget is. Also the bigger islands do tend to be cheaper than the smaller ones.I will definately return one day tothe seychelles but not so sure about the maldives. Yes, it is somewhere everyone must experience before they die, but i've seen it and absolutely loved the beauty of ot but am happy with my one visit. I must say, though, it is the perfect honeymoon destination. If you have any questions you want to ask me about the resorts we have stayed in personally then I would be happy to answer them or send me a private message.

I hope you find the perfect place for your honeymoon.

KC, MO
7. Re: Maldives or Seychelles in June

How is October on these islands?

Kelowna, Canada
reviews: 20
8. Re: Maldives or Seychelles in June

There is not much weather variation between months in Seychelles. Supposedly two seasons but honestly everyday seemed like the next to me and I lived there for more than 9 years. Seychelles is 4 degrees south of the equator after all. It is outside the hurricane belt so no need to worry about that. The rain when it happens was a welcome relief to me from the heat, it's more likely to be afternoon thundershowers and last a short time.

Dubai
9. Re: Maldives or Seychelles in June

Maldives or sychelles in January ...??? Again for a honeymoon trip

Thanks every1

Torquay, England
reviews: 13
10. Re: Maldives or Seychelles in June

January is one of the best months to go to the Maldives but it is the rainy season in the Seychelles. If you want virtually guaranteed sunshine then it has to be the Maldives but then the rain does tend to come in heavy bursts and move on quickly in the Seychelles and is not usually days of rain.

Michelle