We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moyenne island

Which Mahe Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kent, UK
reviews: 26
Moyenne island

Asked a bit of a vague question on 31st January about the marine parks, hence no response!

I have now done some research on St Anne Marine Park and really answered my own question! Moyenne island, within the park, remains undeveloped - I really admire the ethos behind the owner, Brendon Grimshaw and friends, who have worked to maintain the island as a wild park which is open for tourists and seychellois to enjoy. Certainly hope to be able to visit Moyenne when we come to the Seychelles in July as well as the other marine parks around Mahe and Praslin. I would welcome any comments from people who have visited. Thank you, Juliet

New York, USA
reviews: 36
1. Re: Moyenne island

See BBC video clip. The owner bought the island for 8000 pounds 50 years ago.

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 15
2. Re: Moyenne island

Can anyone advise on how to get there? I just saw the BBC video clip and would love to go visit!

Beau Vallon
3. Re: Moyenne island

Its a great place, and the only island in the Marine Park which is a reserve, so nothing can be changed, Brendon is a very good friend of me, graet guy ( 87 years of age ) good fun to listen to him, has a aprox 121 tortoises on the island, to go there just go to the Marine Charter, ask for Maxim who will bring you there in his little boat, takes about half hour,. you better book one day in advance. ( By the way the Island whas not bought 50 years ago ) Stories go around. Ask Brendon or buy his book !!!

Lancashire
reviews: 2
4. Re: Moyenne island

Is Brendon gay or just eccentric. Also, away from the television can be bit bombastic, can he not?

Kent, UK
reviews: 26
5. Re: Moyenne island

Yes, saw the BBC programme.

Have arranged to visit Moyenne as part of a trip to the marine park. There are plenty of tour operators offering trips to the marine park; just check that they stop off at Moyenne. Not all of them do. Alternatively arrange a private tour.

Victoria, Seychelles
reviews: 13
6. Re: Moyenne island

ok ... BOOK Masons travels they do official day tours to this island with coral watching like a safari this will be around 700 SCR (for locals) with lunch in the boat, boat ride, snorkeling, ... The Boat is called Anahita... its not literally a boat though.. quite big... :) this is an island of one owner,, As he said he goes to the town once a month,,, and he is in a small house with his pets all alone.. and he has many stories to tell u.. in this island there are tombs of pirates, etc. once u arrive in the island they will give you a map... enjoy it

London
reviews: 2
7. Re: Moyenne island

For those who don't know, Brendon recently died (July 2012). It's very sad really. I just visited the Island with my wife, taken by his long-standing friend Maxim, who now almost single handedly looks after the Island and its 120+ tortoises and other wildlife. There are also 3 dogs there which are beyond cute! We played with the little 2-month old puppy loads. Do go and visit the Island. Right now you can still see the house just as Brendon left it, but the house and the long-since closed down restaurant, are apparently going to be turned into a museum in 2013. There are many boxes of Brendon's book "Another grain of sand", so do ask to buy a copy. All the money goes towards looking after the Island, which is being conserved as part of the Marine National Park, for now at least. As one other person said, ask for Maxim at the Marine Charter Terminal in Victoria. Everyone knows him as he has been going back and forth to Moyenne for the last 30+ years.

London
reviews: 84
8. Re: Moyenne island

He was a real flag bearer for the ethos of Seychelles in terms of environment preservation and is sadly missed.

His legacy lives on so yes, make sure to include it in your itinerary. Probably need to book via a ground handler

9. Re: Moyenne island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, October 12, 2013