We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spiders

Which Mahe Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
reviews: 77
Spiders

I am absolutely terrified and really hate spiders. I stil survived a trip to South Africa some years ago, though must admit that I did not at all sleep when I had seen spiders in or close to hotel room.

What can I expect in the Seychelles? We will stay in Mahe (Four Seasons).

Manchester, United...
reviews: 21
1. Re: Spiders

I dont recall seeing any spiders in any of the accomodation I've stayed at in the Seychelles. You do see some rather large Palm Spiders up in the trees. They seemed most noticeable on the path at the back of Anse Source D'Argent, but they are above head height and no bother. On our last trip we travelled with friends, one of whom is very very scared of spiders and she coped ok getting past them.

I don't imagine for a moment you'd have any problems at a Four Seasons property - they are not the sort of place they'd let spiders in are they :-)

Kuwait City, Kuwait
reviews: 1
2. Re: Spiders

Lol musken....there are quite a few of them there but they arent that scary atleast the hotel staff insured me that..We just came back from there and and we were in 304 villa and theer was this BIGGEST SPIDER WEB just at the enterance of our villa:P...and we still survived 8 days without any HAPPENING...its something expected from that kind of setting...trust me the resort is soo amazin otherwise u will forgive such minor insects:)

London
reviews: 84
3. Re: Spiders

Hi

You will probably encounter the odd palm spider at Four Seasons, but only sat on its web. I've never seen them scurrying about on the ground to be honest. They are a big spider, no doubt about that, but nothing to worry about as they are non poisonous and not interested in humans.

The Four Seasons is an incredible experience and you will love it so fear not, a wonderful trip awaits!

4. Re: Spiders

I think that I can cope with spiders in their webs outside. At least to some extent though I will of course avoid villa 304.

In South Africa we had spiders inside our hotel rooms at several occasions. That is what really made me freak out.

Musken: There is a spider in the room

Musken-husband: No, it is just part of the straw roof.

Musken: No. It is a huge spider.

Musken-husband: Stop it. It is just a straw.

Musken: The straw is moving now!!!

London
reviews: 84
5. Re: Spiders

That sounds like a man I can relate to!

Seriously, the Palm spiders are not intrusive and are, ,like the majority of Seychelles wildlife, utterly fascinating.

What I would say is, if you see a gecko in the room, make friends with it and keep your a/c to say 23 degrees minimum, that way he can have his insect meals and you get a room kept free of bugs in the most eco friendly way you can imagine! The spiders are good at that too, I just would not invite them in, although their catching method is far better.

6. Re: Spiders

I'm back. Saw a number of palm spiders, some really big ones, but even for someone as afraid as myself, it was no problem. They stayed in their webs and did not do me anything. At one of our excursions, the guide took one and let it crawl around on his hands, body and face just to show that it was not dangerous. I believe him, but would not want to try it myself, of course. But, as I said, palm spiders did not worry me down there.

Takamaka, Seychelles
7. Re: Spiders

Great News. Hope the holiday was just as good.

8. Re: Spiders

We definitely enjoyed the rest of the holidays as well. Many of the beaches are better than on the Maldives and the Seychelles islands offer lots of things to see and do in addition to just enjoying the Paradise. Great destination - hope we will be back some time.

9. Re: Spiders

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, April 18, 2010