We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seychelles vs Maldives mid Sep

Which Mahe Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
los angeles
reviews: 6
Seychelles vs Maldives mid Sep

Hello,

we are planning our honeymoon . we want to stay 3 nights in dubai and then either move on to the seychelles or maldives. since we read its rainy season in the maldives we are kinda hesitant to go there, however we are more drawn to it.

what would you recommend ? we absolutely want a beach vacation where we just relax and sunbathe.

thanks for all your help

Cannock, United...
reviews: 18
1. Re: Seychelles vs Maldives mid Sep

Hi

My hubby & I have visited both the Maldives and the Seychelles (albeit both in December 2002 & 2003 respectively) and oh, I don't envy you having to make such a big decision for such an important holiday!

We loved both but for very different reasons. The Maldives were the ultimate for relaxing and fantastic for snorkling and sunbathing. The sea was so warm it was like taking a bath, the beach was like sugar and we were lucky with the weather too (although friends of ours went when it rained/overcast but it didn't stop them from the water sports and getting even sunburnt!). There is some wildlife (other than aquatic) and we even had visits to our bit of beach from a friendly heron. They were the typical island paradise and they treated honeymooners like royalty (some other friends went to Kuredu for there honeymoon last Dec and they had flowers on the bed etc)! The negatives though tended to be the islands can be restrictive for other things to do (we went to Meeru or Meerufenfushi depending on the brochure) although Meeru, being a larger island, had a pool, volleyball, soccer, snail racing (don't ask) and a dive centre, aswell as several restaurants to choose from and excursions were available. Each island is very individual so make sure you check them out first.

The Seychelles were a photographers dream. The beaches were beautiful and rugged but the sea was not as clear as the Maldives and on some beaches swimming was dangerous due to currents and waves. There was more to do and see in the Seychelles (i.e. shops, pubs) and car hire made all the beaches easily accessible. Again we were lucky with the weather (Dec is supposed to be very wet) and we had sun but it did rain although it was only a warm shower and dried up quickly. Please note though, my hairdresser honeymooned there last September and it rained every day.

Both could be classed as expensive to eat out but at least in the Seychelles there was a choice of places to eat (the Anchor Cafe on Mahe was quite reasonable) or self cater. The all inclusive option would be best for the Maldives due to the import costs.

The weather forcast for both can be misleading. The Seychelles have a lot more rain usually throughout the year due to the mountainous landscape however, there is a lot more to do should you get caught out. You're stuck on the island if you're choose the Maldives and the weather is bad but eh, it's your honeymoon and the suites are usually pretty special.

At least in Dubai you'll get guarenteed sunshine should either of the other destinations deny you of your beach relaxation!!

I would return to both and at this very moment are planning our return to the Seychelles if that gives you any indication to our feelings to the Indian Ocean islands.

Hope this helps, good luck in you choice and best wishes for a very happy honeymoon!

Jane

UK
2. Re: Seychelles vs Maldives mid Sep

We went towards the end of September and had three or four gloomy days; otherwise the rest of our two week holiday was dry.

Although the Maldives are on my list of destinations to visit, I always got the feeling that after a few days on one of the small islands along with the restrictions placed on when you can visit the main island, and what you can and cannot do there, I might get bored. Though I am a little uncertain of the absolute validity of these facts - things may have changed. But then again, it is your honeymoon, and like a lot of honeymooners you probably want to do much. The Maldives sound more suited for that provided the weather is fine; whereas the Seychelles can give you both. And I can testify to the beauty and captivating character of the Seychelles and the Seychellois, time and time again.

3. Re: Seychelles vs Maldives mid Sep

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:17 am, August 21, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Mahe Island
More Mahe Island Topics