We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for Moshav in Tiberias (and other places)

Which Tiberias hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Washington DC...
Looking for Moshav in Tiberias (and other places)

Hello, everyone.

I'm very interested in spending a few months this summer working on a moshav in Israel. I'm looking into various areas, and I was told that there are quite a few in the Tiberias area. Would any of you have any information on this? Either specific programs or specific people I can contact?

I do not plan to get a visa in the beginning. I believe I'm allowed 90 days in Israel just with my passport, but hoping that once I'm there I can get involved with a moshav that will sponsor me for a visa so I can stay longer. I'm open to staying for a year or even longer, if the situation is right.

I am not Jewish; I'm Catholic and so I need to be in an area where I can get to a Catholic church for mass on Sundays. Since Tiberias is near Nazareth, I thought this would be a good place to start. But I'm open to other areas besides Tiberias, provided I can get to a church.

I'm excited and looking forward to hearing any ideas or advice. Thanks in advance!

- Katie

Washington, DC, USA

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 31
1. Re: Looking for Moshav in Tiberias (and other places)

As an American you will get an automatic tourist visa upon entry to Israel. Usually this 3 month visa can be renewed for an additional 3 months, up to a maximum of a year. The renewals require a visit to the appropriate government office.

What type of volunteering are you interested in? What would you like to do? Moshavim (plural of moshav) don't often have volunteers.

I suggest that you look through this web-site about volunteering in Israel, as a starting point:

http://www.ivolunteer.org.il/eng/

Since you are located in DC, you might consider contacting the Israel Embassy to see if they have any information that can help you.

As far as Catholic churches - you can easily find churches in Nazareth, near the Sea of Galilee - at Tabgha and Capernaum, in Jerusalem, Jaffa, Haifa and many other areas.

Washington DC...
2. Re: Looking for Moshav in Tiberias (and other places)

Oreets, thank you so much for this reply.

I did, in fact, use the wrong word. I shouldn't have said volunteer. I would like to WORK on a moshav, but I have seen some programs where volunteers go and receive a small stipend. But this is confusing. I'd like to be able to earn something working on a moshav, though the pay can be small. I just want to go there!

I would like to work on a moshav helping with farming and agriculture. At this point my ideas are not specific and detailed. I did find one moshav in Kfar Tivor, for example, they have a moshav but the area is heavy on tourism as well. Perhaps a place like this could use an English-speaker.

The truth is I really love Israel and want to spend some time working there in whatever capacity I may be of service. I've wanted to do this for YEARS but the timing was never right until now. I love the idea of farming and agriculture, and the Israelis are among the best in the world at this, so that's why I'm leaning towards moshav. I need to make a little bit of money, but not a lot. I can live simply. I don't want a thing like salary to get in my way. I just want to be able to cover my basic needs. Really, for me it's about the work, the environment, and some time for spiritual rejuvenation.

Thanks for your advice about the Embassy. I will do!

Edited: 3:49 pm, February 07, 2011
Herzlia, Israel
reviews: 5
3. Re: Looking for Moshav in Tiberias (and other places)

Hi Katie,

Try the Kibbutz Program Center (KPC) website: www.kibbutzprogramcenter.org which offers various programs for N. Americans and Canadians. They are also partners with WWOOF Israel which might be another option. I don't know if you've heard of "WWOOF" before, but there are branches all over the world and the ideas is that you work a few hours a day, 5 days a week, on an organic farm (in Israel this is usually a moshav or a kibbutz) in return for food and accommodation. The program is open to anyone over the age of 18, whatever their nationality. From what I understand, you can do this for 2 or 3 days or up to 6 months. Check out their website: www.wwoof.org.il

Good luck!

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 17
4. Re: Looking for Moshav in Tiberias (and other places)

If you are interested in WORKING you need a work VISA which won't happen easily. The small stipend you receive for volunteering on a kIbbutz is loose change--pocket money! Basically you have to then be prepared to spend the vast majority of your free time on the Kibbutz, or supplement it with funds from the US. Also,be aware that Sunday is a regular work day here in Israel. People do not usually get it off.

Personally, I think what you are looking to do is unrealistic. The agriculture societies of yesteryear---are gone. On a Moshav--for sure, on a kibbutz--maybe

galille israel
reviews: 3
5. Re: Looking for Moshav in Tiberias (and other places)

Hi Katie

Not like rdglady said. I think it is realistic.

I am from a Moshav, near Tiberias and I am in the agriculture business.

the different between the past and now, is that the farm are mach mor professional and less suitable for temporary workers.

But ! There are some farms, mainly animal that might be open.

The other option that I am sure that will be open is the ecotourism places.

one of them that maybe like some help is hemdatya(see hemdatya.co.il) which is unique place.

and the other one is yarokaz, which I now that they work with volenteers.

If you need more help, please contact me

Washington DC...
6. Re: Looking for Moshav in Tiberias (and other places)

Thank you, GalilGirl!!

Washington DC...
7. Re: Looking for Moshav in Tiberias (and other places)

Thank you, lernerGalilleIsrael, I plan to contact you! I am looking for long-term, and if they cannot pay much, it's okay for me. I will manage somehow with outside funds. I'm going to contact you. :)

Every single person I have talked to--both inside Israel, and outside with experience of moshavim--have told me my plans are NOT unrealistic. I'm going to stick with my plans with optimism.

Edited: 8:37 pm, February 08, 2011
Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 31
8. Re: Looking for Moshav in Tiberias (and other places)

Your plans should succeed, even though it will be a lot of work for you to set this up - as long as you are planning to volunteer. You cannot get a paying job without a work visa, as rdglady pointed out and the odds are you will not qualify for one.

Herzlia, Israel
reviews: 5
9. Re: Looking for Moshav in Tiberias (and other places)

After all this controversy, I'd be interested to hear if you get fixed up. If you want to, you can contact me through my website - you can get the address from my profile.

Washington DC...
10. Re: Looking for Moshav in Tiberias (and other places)

I will let you know! :)