We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kibbutz Misgav Am

Which Tiberias hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cookham Dean...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Kibbutz Misgav Am

I stayed at Misgav Am as a volunteer for 6 months in the late 70s - have not been to Israel since, but always thinking about going back. I am determined to go this September. We will be staying in Jerusalem, but a visit preferably an overnight visit to Misgav is a must. I am just not sure which is the best way to go - in the old days it was the bus, change in Kiryat Schemona, but nowadays unless there is an organise excursion to the Upper Gallilei including Misgav Am, I think i would prefer to hire a car and do the trip alone, visiting en route my other kibbutz Afikim.

What would you suggest. Thank you for any advice.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv
reviews: 58
1. Re: Kibbutz Misgav Am

Hire a car for he trip north - it will give you flexibility and a much better use of your time

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
reviews: 37
2. Re: Kibbutz Misgav Am

Renting a car is the best way. Pay attention that September has amny Jewish holidays so book hotels in advance. Have a look at their wesite http://www.misgav-am.com/english.htm They also have B&Bs.

Cookham Dean...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
3. Re: Kibbutz Misgav Am

I am sure a car hire would be the best (just my husband is worried about safety),but I am sure there is no need!. I've seen Misgav website, and so much has changed in the last 30 years, I know they have BB these days, no such thing then. I remember the trips down the valley (oranges and cotton) and Afikim mainly bananas.....and the trips to Kfar Giladi's swimming pool.

I am really looking forward to it.

Thanks for your advice. If there is anything else I should bear in mind please let me know.

israel
Destination Expert
4. Re: Kibbutz Misgav Am

Did you notice that on the website is a link to "lost amigos" that is a forum for former volunteers?

Don't worry about driving, I suppose you drive at home too.

San Juan...
reviews: 7
5. Re: Kibbutz Misgav Am

In 2005, I visited for the first time the kibbutz (HaHotrim) where I had volunteered 32 years earlier. Much to my amazement, my "kibbutz family" still lived there and welcomed us for tea. The barracks where I lived are now derelict, and most members work off the kibbutz with almost no agriculture on their land being operated by them (it was grapefruit orchards and bananas mainly in 1973).

Your return to the kibbutz where you were a volunteer will be an extraordinary experience!

Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv
6. Re: Kibbutz Misgav Am

Coming from the UK, you should to be aware that we drive on the right side (how comfortable aer you with it?).

Most rental cars here are automatic, which makes driving on the "wrong side" easier. Just make sure you hire an automatic car.

reviews: 30
7. Re: Kibbutz Misgav Am

By bus (egged.co.il), you have to take the 963 to Kiryat Shmona and the 23 or 24 to Misgav Am. Today for example, if you leave Jerusalem at 6:30, you arrive at Kiryat Shmona at 10:30, and you have a 24 bus at 11:45 which gets you to Misgav Am at 12:05.

Cookham Dean...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
8. Re: Kibbutz Misgav Am

Thanks for all you help - Egged timetable might come in handy and los amigos I will certainly use to trace one of my old buddies.

I am used to driving on the right as I drive in Europe often, and my current car is automatic.

SparkOC - your kibbutz was in Haifa region? I bet it was exciting going back after so many years. Unfortunately I don't remember any of the permanent residents of Misgav as we mainly worked with 3rd year soldiers, the location of the kibbutz being what it is. But I look forward to seeing all the changes.

israel
Destination Expert
9. Re: Kibbutz Misgav Am

We would love to read about your visit there.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv
10. Re: Kibbutz Misgav Am

If driving on the right is no problem - do hire a car !

You'll be able to see much more witin the limited time you have.

So much have changed - i'm sure you'll love it.