We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Galillee by taxi with wheelchair

Which Nazareth hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Antalya, Turkey
Galillee by taxi with wheelchair

We ordered a taxi in Tel Aviv to go to Gallillee.My husband needs a wheelchair,so we decided not visiting Nazareth,because most churches have steps and we are not religeous.

Do you have suggestions for us for interesting accesibles places around the lake.We like to see Beth Shean ,but is it accessible?

During an other daytrip,we planned to visit Caesarea,Akko and Haifa,not Rosh Hanikra,

THanks a lot.

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
reviews: 41
1. Re: Galillee by taxi with wheelchair

I suggest that you hire a guide/driver and not a taxi. The price is similar but the trip will be much easier and informative.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 112
2. Re: Galillee by taxi with wheelchair

Rosh Hanikra is wheelchair accessible as well as the Church of the Annunciation in Nazareth. You can visit Tiberias. Drive along the northern road for fantastic views and stop at Park Goren and the Galil Winery(not on Saturday). Beit Shean is also wheelchair accessible but a bit bumpy at some points.

Chana

Israel

Edited: 2:32 pm, September 26, 2012
NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 18
3. Re: Galillee by taxi with wheelchair

Chana is one of the licensed guides who posts on the forum. Her post, which corrects some of your incorrect assumptions only goes to prove what Shoshi is saying. A taxi will take you where YOU tell him to go. A guide will go where you want BUT will be able to add imput and suggestions to make your visit complete.

Antalya, Turkey
4. Re: Galillee by taxi with wheelchair

Thank you all for the replay.We realize that taking a guide is much better,but the difference in price is 600 dollar between our taxidriver and the guides (we contactet a few)We are just two ,and planned 4 tours,so it will be too expensive.

But the advise of Chana helps us a lot.

Kind regards,

Lea

Belgium

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 36
5. Re: Galillee by taxi with wheelchair

I'm a bit confused. Since most driving guides charge approximately $600-700 a day for a tour, how is the difference between your taxi and a guide $600? I can't imagine you found a taxi driver who will take you around for $100.

Tel-Aviv
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv
reviews: 11
6. Re: Galillee by taxi with wheelchair

Note that it takes about 2 hours each way to drive from Tel-Aviv to the Sea of Galilee (assuming normal traffic). This will limit the number of sites that you can visit in one day.

Another possibility is Zippori National Park. Note that many of the parks can provide a special vehicle for mobility-challenged visitors. For example (scroll to the bottom of these pages):

Bet Shean

parks.org.il/parks/…default.aspx

Zippori

parks.org.il/parks/…default.aspx

Antalya, Turkey
7. Re: Galillee by taxi with wheelchair

We found a taxidriver ,who will take us for 200 dollar a daytrip.

Sandy ask 750 dollar for a daytrip,other ask 850(Bein Harimtour) for a private tour.

I found the taxidriver by mail .An American recommended him and posted his e-mailadress.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 18
8. Re: Galillee by taxi with wheelchair

$200 is an unbelievably low price. It makes me very nervous. Is this a licensed insured taxi driver or someone who is driving you in his own private vehicle. The difference is, G-d forbid there is an accident--a licensed driver will have proper insurance. An individual using his own vehicle ( and these people ARE out there) will have no insurance. BTW it is legally slightly OVER $100 for a licensed driver to take you from Netanya to Jerusalem ( 1.5 hours) That gives you an idea of how low your $200 for the day is.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 112
9. Re: Galillee by taxi with wheelchair

Lea, since you are set on doing a self tour with a driver I highly recommend that you use the services of a licensed guide to write a suitable itinerary for you. Your situation is different from many others and requires a professional to give you proper advice regarding exact sites to see, accessability from which entrances, etc. Also keep in mind that while professional drivers will drive you around they may not be familiar with some sites which makes it even more important to have a full itinerary in place before departure. The fee for writing an itinerary far outways the aggravation on faulty planning, especially in your case.

Chana

Israel

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Galilee, Tel Aviv
reviews: 104
10. Re: Galillee by taxi with wheelchair

I took a group of seniors to Israel 2 years ago. One of them was in a wheelchair. I want to tell you that this is not an easy trip to do with a wheelchair. You really need to plan things out.

One of the things you need to know is access. Though the site may be accessible, the access from the parking may not be easy. You will have to know how to access the handicapped/wheelchair entrances and parking. In my experience, this is not usually marked. A good example is Ceasarea. Ceasarea is handicapped accessible. However, to enter the park, tourists usually enter through one of two main entrances. One, at the amphitheatre, means pushing the wheelchair across paths that may be covered in sand. This is doable but not so easy. The second is cobblestone streets which are not accessible. There is a third entrance that is not evident to most people (including a taxi driver who is used to dropping people at the main entrances). It is BEHIND the restaurants. It is completely accessible but you have to explain to the gate person that you are transporting a wheelchair.

I can't suggest strongly enough that you look at getting a guide. The guide will not only do the driving but will help you with all the ins and outs. It can make the difference between having a completely frustrating day or an experience of a lifetime. With a year of planning for the trip, I still relied on the knowledge of our professional guide and bus driver who made our trip so memorable. I would not trust a taxi driver. When my wheelchair and mobility challenged people needed to take a taxi, the drivers often didn't know where to drop them off or what the closest spot to entrances were. I heard about this happening several times when they had free time and went out on their own. You would think that taxi drivers would know this type of thing but often, they just don't.

Look for a licensed driving guide which charges less than what you have been quoted. It will be more than a taxi for sure, but it is only one day and those few hundred dollars will make all the difference in the world to your experience.