We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nazareth as a base for the Galilee

Which Nazareth hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
Nazareth as a base for the Galilee

Hi,

i'm a solo traveller. I'm thinking of using Nazareth as a base for exploring the Galilee. The idea would be to take a bus up there from Jerusalem and spend five days there, exploring the city and then doing day trips to Haifa, Akko, and the Sea of Galilee. It seems centrally located. sound like good idea?

Two questions:

1. If I wanted to rent a car there, is that easy? Is that easy?

2. I. need to return to BG on a Ssturday.I assume I could take a sherut?

Thanks

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Galilee, Tel Aviv
reviews: 104
1. Re: Nazareth as a base for the Galilee

Nazareth is not usually used as a base for exploring the north.

Yes, you should definitely rent a car for exploring the north, and yes, it is very easy and highways are clearly marked with signage in Hebrew, Arabic AND English.

You might want to consider staying in one of the Zimmers (BandB's) or little chalets. You could use Tiberias as a base (there are a lot of Christian sites in this area) or even Rosh Pina which is a lovely town and close to so many locations in the Galil as well as easy access to the sea.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 18
2. Re: Nazareth as a base for the Galilee

I do not believe there is a sherut from Nazareth to the airport. They do NOT exist in every place. If you are renting a car--you can drive yourself to the airport and return it then.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 112
3. Re: Nazareth as a base for the Galilee

Nazareth is not a good base for the Galilee. The streets are also difficult to navigate, I'm not sure if there is ample parking near the hotels and the city's traffic will slow you down when departing and returning the city after a days traveling. If you want to stay in a city, Tiberias is easier for this purpose or you can stay in one of the kibbutz hotels or a Zimmer. If you would like a Christian atmosphere try the Pilgerhaus Tabgha, on the waterfront.

Getting to Ben Gurion on Shabbat can only be done by taxi from anywhere in the north. You may want to spend Friday night closer to the center of the country to cut down traveling time and expense as you will need to depart for the airport about 6 hours before your flight's departure (depending on where you stay in the north).

Chana

Israel

Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 23
4. Re: Nazareth as a base for the Galilee

Definitely not wise to use Nazareth as a base for touring the North. Nazareth is a bit of a chaotic city with parking problems and horrendous traffic.

You are much better off using rural accommodations for your base for touring -- assuming you're renting a car.

Consider a kibbutz hotel. Kibbutz Lavi is located very centrally in Lower Galilee and is a good choice, provided that you don't plan to be there over the Sabbath (it's a religious kibbutz). Another good kibbutz option is Nof Ginosar, located directly on the lake, just north of Tiberias.

5. Re: Nazareth as a base for the Galilee

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:24 am, May 28, 2013