We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip to Acre from Haifa

Which Acre hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Vic...
reviews: 252
Trip to Acre from Haifa

We are on a cruise that will stop in Haifa for two days. Unfortunately these days are on the weekend. I know that Friday and Saturday are not the best days to take off on a journey via public transport.

We want ideally to take the train to Acre from Haifa cruise port and at the other end I assume that from the station (which station/stop?) in Acre we could walk to the old town.

How feasible is this idea please?

Any advice as to journey time and cost would be helpful and which station to alight in Acre.

vancouver BC
reviews: 39
1. Re: Trip to Acre from Haifa

I think Acre (Akko) only has one train station. I walked from it to the entrance to the Old City recently. It took 10-15 minutes. The train from Haifa is about 25 -30 minutes depending on which station in Haifa you get on.

Trains stop running sometime Friday afternoon and not sure if they start Saturday evening after sundown. A Destination Expert will know this, I'm sure.

Akko is very pleasant -- the Old City. Try to take time just to meander. I enjoyed the package ticket you buy for about 56 NIS. Turkish Bath presentation was lots of fun.

A falafel stand, "Falafel Arafe," with a Coca Cola signage in the little shopping area of the OC makes falafels to die for. It is always full of locals. the guy shapes the falafel balls at lightening speed.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 31
2. Re: Trip to Acre from Haifa

If by weekend you mean Friday - Saturday then you would be able to take the train to Akko but coming back you would need a taxi. BTW the train station in Haifa is just 2 minutes from the port.

If you are thinking of visiting Akko on Saturday you would be best to take a taxi as the trains do not run, and by the time they start again at night, it would be quite late.

If you are talking about a Sunday, which in Israel is a normal workday, then the train is an option.

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
reviews: 33
3. Re: Trip to Acre from Haifa

Buses run on weekend in Haifa and Akko. Bus no. 271 goes from Haifa central bus station north till Nahariya. You can get off near the Navy School and walk5-10 minutes to the Old City of Akko. On Friday the bus service stops at 1600. There are other buses and shared taxis (sherut). A private taxi is the last option as it is the expensive one.

Correction - the last bus from Nahariya will pass by the Navy scholl at 1800, you should be in the station 5-10 minutes before that.

Edited: 5:29 am, April 27, 2012
Jerusalem
Destination Expert
for Israel
4. Re: Trip to Acre from Haifa

>>Buses run on weekend in Haifa and Akko

Not really, not to any great extent, and no use for what the OP wants to do.

The first bus from Haifa to Akko on Saturday is at 15:45, and the first one back from Akko will be at around the same time.

Trains resume after dark on Saturday, so that's also no help.

There are shared taxis on that route, that run on Saturdays.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 68
5. Re: Trip to Acre from Haifa

Shared taxis can be used, however you will need to take a taxi to get to the shared taxi and ask the driver how to walk to the old city once you get to the final stop in Akko, or you can take a taxi. If you are coming on Friday, take the train from the Merkaz station -- to the right as you exit the port -- and get off in Akko, taking a taxi or walking. On the way back take a taxi. This will assure your getting to the ship on time. On Saturday/Shabbat take a taxi, on Sunday as Oreet said use public transportation-- best bet on that day is the train. Least expensive, most convenient with high frequency.

Chana

Israel

Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 16
6. Re: Trip to Acre from Haifa

The last train on Fridays from Akko to Haifa leaves at 2.30 p.m.

Melbourne, Vic...
7. Re: Trip to Acre from Haifa

Thank you all for your input.

Now having decided, that if we go to Akko, we shall do so on a Sunday. I know that we have to take the train from Mercaz HaShmona Train Station on the train in the direction of Nahariyya.

Assuming we get off there the first question is, is it well signposted to walk to Akko? Walking is our preference but would not want lose our way.

Secondly, on our return, assuming from Nahariya Station, which train (line, direction) would we take to get off where we started from?

I am assuming that Mercaz HaShmona is the closest station to the port of Haifa.

Tel-Aviv
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv
reviews: 9
8. Re: Trip to Acre from Haifa

"Mercaz Hashmona" is the station adjacent to the entrance to the port. You can see it clearly on this map (the train station is the small blue square in the center of the map):

http://goo.gl/maps/Z4BY

You take the train going to Nahariya, but get off at the Akko station. Here is the route map:

rail.co.il/EN/Stations/Pages/israelrailways-…

From the Akko train station you can take a taxi for the short ride to the Old Crusader City ; the train station is in the upper-right of this map, the Old City at the lower-left:

http://goo.gl/maps/trRq

To go back to Haifa, take a taxi back to the Akko train station.

You can check the train schedules here:

http://www.rail.co.il/EN/Pages/HomePage.aspx

Jerusalem
Destination Expert
for Israel
9. Re: Trip to Acre from Haifa

Returning from Nahariya you can't go in the wrong direction. Nahariya is the most northerly station in Israel, so all trains from there go south, towards Akko, Haifa and Tel Aviv.

Melbourne, Vic...
10. Re: Trip to Acre from Haifa

mbgg, Your information has been invaluable and the links have assisted me greatly. Thank you one and all.

B55