We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flying from Manado to Bali

Which Manado hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Tenbury Wells...
reviews: 50
Flying from Manado to Bali

Hi,

We are looking to book a flight from Manado to Bali on 08 April 2013, one way only. I have heard that Lion Air reduce their prices nearer the time, but wonder if this is true, as I don't want to take a chance and wait, only to find the seats are sold out. Also, I believe this is not a direct flight, but do we change aircraft or just stop en route?

Lombok, Indonesia
reviews: 5
1. Re: Flying from Manado to Bali

Normally 5-14 days is a good time with Lion.

This does not always apply though and is of course effected by peak times and holiday periods.

I recently did a check on Bali prices from Manado and found it did not conform to the expected pattern.

This was done on 24 October, the prices indicated below will no doubt have all been subject to change by now:

For example Padang (PDG) to Bali (DPS), on 25 October (the day immediately following the price enquiry) showed a ticket for Rp1,000,000, in 5 days time it was Rp 1,363,000, on 10 Dec it was showing at Rp1,126,500, 25 March 2013 it was Rp 1,363,000, and on 25 June 2013 it indicated Rp 1,363,000.

Of course prices fluctuate all the time, and for different flight times during the day, seasons effect it as does the actual route.

The is no 'rule' to it, you just have to experiment, but in my own experience 5-14 days pre-fliight normally works out to advantage, but not always.

London, United...
reviews: 62
2. Re: Flying from Manado to Bali

Hello!

There are no direct flights from Manado to Bali :( both Lion Air and Garuda you have to transit in Makassar (UPG). Whether you get to stay on the plane or have to get off and re-board(bags are always checked through) depends on the day!!! I have done this flight a few times and each time it has been different but rarely is it a change of aircraft.

The normal pattern for Lion Air is kind of like you suggest however the Manado - Bali route is never cheap and does not follow a pattern and is very popular so I would think twice before leaving it that late to book.

Also it is not also possible to book Lion Air flights from aboard (their site does not like International Credit Cards) so maybe ask your resort to book them for you or contact Safari Tours Manado.

Hope this helps.

Lombok, Indonesia
3. Re: Flying from Manado to Bali

Booking Lion Air tickets online from outside Indonesia is possible but unfortunately the payment verification system rejects some non-Inonesian issued credits cards, UK issued cards are commonly problematic.

Do try though as they are not universally rejected.

When entering your cardholder details into the Visa or Mastercard 'Verified' system It is important to use your exact name and address details including all capitalisation and punctuation detail precisely as it appears on your billing statements, otherwise the payment will appear to process, then reject at the very final stage.

Check tickets with Garuda for Menado (MDC) to Denpasar (Bali) (DPS) as they may be a similar price on that route, especially if the Lion Air 'Promo' tickets sell out quickly.

Also be aware that the trip time is a bit drawn out. For example JT471 is 3h 45m (1 stop in Makassar)

Not that Garuda use the spelling Manado and Lion Air use Menado, best to just use the IATA code MDC to avoid any confusion.

Edited: 12:43 am, November 02, 2012
Lombok, Indonesia
4. Re: Flying from Manado to Bali

Garuda fly via Jakarta, not Makassar.

London, United...
reviews: 62
5. Re: Flying from Manado to Bali

IManado to Denpasar with Garuda is via Makassar as well it departs approx 1505 and will get into Denpasar at 1915 (approx). In my experience of booking these flights for myself and guests Garuda does tend to be more pricey but then it is a more comfortable plane!!

Like the other posts do try your credit card with Lion Air but do not be surprised if you can use it.

Lombok, Indonesia
6. Re: Flying from Manado to Bali

Yes there is one flight via Makassar GA0603 departs at 15:05, arrives in Makassar at 16:45.

All the other flights to either Makassar, or Bali, during the day go via Jakarta, ie: MDC-CGK-UPG, and MDC-JAK-DPS.

There is just one flight per day that travels MDC-UPG-DPS, and that departs at 15:05.

The only other connection requires an 8hr 55m overnight layover at UPG on the way to DPS.

Garuda list 7 same day flight alternatives for getting to DPS from MDC, all one of them is via Jakarta.

Garuda have already started taking delivery of their new Bombardier CRJ1000 NextGen aircraft.

They are now operating regional routes like Makassar to Lombok and it is quite likely that when further new aircraft arrive routes like MDC-UPG-DPS may see some more flights provided.

7. Re: Flying from Manado to Bali

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, December 07, 2013