We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

CAUTION : Taking a cab/taxi in Batam

Batam, Indonesia
CAUTION : Taking a cab/taxi in Batam

hello potential Batam travelers .

just thought i'd let you all know that when you take a cab outside a ferry terminal , outside shopping malls or even outside your accommodated hotel . always negotiate the price with the taxi driver before you hop into his vehicle . be clear with the driver of the price you are going to pay .

yesterday afternoon one couple had a bad experience with one driver they flagged down outside their hotel . iHotel to Golden Prawn Seafood should ONLY cost Rp50.000 but this driver requested the couple pay Rp100.000 because of "traffic" .

the couple do not want to accept this because they know the actual price and argued with the driver and the driver drove them somewhere else (inside Bengkong Laut/Indah complex , the locals should know this area) . LUCKILY the couple phone me and i made a quick dash to where they were located .

at first the driver did not want to accept the call the couple made to me (because they had no idea where they were) , fortunately the car stopped and the couple made a quick jump out of the vehicle . LMAO the driver even stop the car because he still wants his "Rp100.000" .

anyways i arrived at the scene and i had a really deep argument with that corrupted driver . he even threatened me that he knows a lot of police friends and that he'd call them . after about 10 minutes of debate , he finally accepted Rp70.000 (Rp20.000 of my money in it) and told me to "watch out" .

i will try to have the couple testimony about this experience of them in here .

so lesson learnt , always ask , be sure that you and the driver knows the price you are going to pay and avoid run down taxis (even tho they have their yellow plate on) .

take care and enjoy your time in Batam .

32 replies to this topic
Singapore, Singapore
reviews: 6
1. Re: CAUTION : Taking a cab/taxi in Batam

wow hero Richard!!!

Batam, Indonesia
2. Re: CAUTION : Taking a cab/taxi in Batam

Batams Superman hehehe

Semarang, Indonesia
reviews: 32
3. Re: CAUTION : Taking a cab/taxi in Batam

Thanks for the caution, RichardBurnz! I've always thought that taxi drivers in Indonesia will automatically use the meter like most of the other cities in Indonesia. Something new learnt today! ;)

Edited: 10:00 am, March 26, 2013
Batam, Indonesia
4. Re: CAUTION : Taking a cab/taxi in Batam

apparently cabs using meter isn't widely practiced in Batam .

when the first taxi company that uses a meter , Silver Cab , just opened in Batam . the WHOLE of Batam island went on a strike against the government .

the second strike is when the second taxi company , Blue Bird , opened in Batam .

Semarang, Indonesia
reviews: 32
5. Re: CAUTION : Taking a cab/taxi in Batam

The Blue Bird Group is one of the more reputable taxi companies across Indonesia archipelago as the drivers are generally known for their honest and reliable service. It is a pity that their license are revoked by the administration after the strike.. Using non-metered cabs is okay if you can negotiate a price that is mutually agreed before taking the cab but sometimes it is just unavoidable that there are drivers out there whom are corrupted and wish to earn more :|

Batam, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Batam
reviews: 18
6. Re: CAUTION : Taking a cab/taxi in Batam

Blue Bird is operating just fine now in Batam. The order to practice comes from a higher power so Kepri government has to give in.

Cheeers

Batam, Indonesia
7. Re: CAUTION : Taking a cab/taxi in Batam

oh well , that is the system that has been going on for ages already here in Indonesia .

so far , two taxi companies (Silver Cab being the first in Batam and Blue Bird being the secondin Batam) are operating in good condition already . that is because this two have only agreed to a few rules between the taxi that doesn't use meter and SilverCab/BlueBird .

i was at the ferry terminal just last saturday to send some singaporean tourists and i spot a SilverCab fetching some passengers at the terminal , i can only assume that the three passengers called for the SilverCab . what i witnessed was the SilverCab being told to leave the terminal without picking up the passengers .

still , nothing damaging has been reported yet . the last report was a Silver Cab being smashed/ambushed by random taxi drivers , long ago already (last year) .

Singapore, Singapore
8. Re: CAUTION : Taking a cab/taxi in Batam

i'd rather negotiate a price then board the taxi than let it run on meter... i know if i run on meter, they will round here and there, end up i sure have to pay for more.

Batam, Indonesia
9. Re: CAUTION : Taking a cab/taxi in Batam

no i don't think so , i paid like Rp35.000 from Mega Mall to BCS Mall , three times without them taking the longest cut .

their motto is the shortest way and time possible to reach the destination . reason given is that they have very little taxis around and there are quite a number of calls for their service .

there are lots of calls on the radio and clearly they want to get the next customer available .

Singapore, Singapore
10. Re: CAUTION : Taking a cab/taxi in Batam

well they know we are foreigners.. sure potong us one.. ):

Reply to: CAUTION : Taking a cab/taxi in Batam
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted