We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Enquiries for Batam on holiday (Easter day period)

Which Batam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore, Singapore
reviews: 1
Enquiries for Batam on holiday (Easter day period)

Hi Chandrana and Richard, as you may have expected, I am a Singaporean planning for a Batam getaway with my gf on the upcoming Good Friday (Easter) long weekend (3D2N)..

My friends/colleagues question my stay duration as they felt is boring in Batam but I want to try and really make this trip awesome thus started the online research...

As I started the planning research based on different blogs, is only now then I chanced upon this portal; and with the date closing up, I will just list down my questions while I carry on explore the other forum topics here. Thus. there are a couple of questions I will like to ask and will appreciate your replies =)

1) Since is holiday, how will the crowd be like in the malls etc? (especially Safety since is only 2 of us)

2) We are staying at Swiss Belhotel, may I know what are the places of interest around this area? Is it very far from the Harbourbay Terminal?

3) Are the Barelang Bridges worth a visit? Any beach to recommend? Cabbing back from here is it easy/safe? I read that only try yellow plates...

4) Is there any recommendation on English/Mandarin speaking drivers for my stay?

5) For spas & jacuzzis, which are the affordable but good ones? Budget: abt SGD $30..

6) Has Golden Prawn really deproved? I see bloggers are trying out Wey Wey instead...

7) How far is Waterfront City from Swiss Belhotel?

8) Is Kepri mall worth a visit or is it very Singapore-like? I always see it when I pass by Muka Kuning for work trip at Industrial area.

My concern for the trip: Safety

This is my 1st trip with my girl and really want to make it a special one, do help me out with my questions while I read up on the other topics in the forum. Thank you in advance!

Singapore, Singapore
reviews: 6
1. Re: Enquiries for Batam on holiday (Easter day period)

1) Since is holiday, how will the crowd be like in the malls etc? (especially Safety since is only 2 of us)

2) We are staying at Swiss Belhotel, may I know what are the places of interest around this area? Is it very far from the Harbourbay Terminal?

3) Are the Barelang Bridges worth a visit? Any beach to recommend? Cabbing back from here is it easy/safe? I read that only try yellow plates...

4) Is there any recommendation on English/Mandarin speaking drivers for my stay?

5) For spas & jacuzzis, which are the affordable but good ones? Budget: abt SGD $30..

6) Has Golden Prawn really deproved? I see bloggers are trying out Wey Wey instead...

7) How far is Waterfront City from Swiss Belhotel?

8) Is Kepri mall worth a visit or is it very Singapore-like? I always see it when I pass by Muka Kuning for work trip at Industrial area.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. The malls are always full of people, but not that crowded like Singapore MRT la. LOL. dont worry. Just that perhaps when you queue up at the hypermart you got to wait longer for checkout. That's all.

2. As i see from the map, it isnt that far from Harbourbay Ferry Terminal. perhaps a 5-8minutes taxi ride away from it. It might cost you around Rp35,000 from the ferry terminal. Please correct me if i'm wrong, as every map i see shows different location.

3. I heard Barelang bridge there has nice seafood restaurant too. And that place is good for fishing. I've never been there before, but will be going there on my next few visit to check it out. You might want to ask your hotel to hitch a cab for you, and ask the cab driver to wait for you while you are visiting that area. Meaning, you will pay for a 2 way trip. It's much safer. And 1 more thing: why yellow plate taxis? because they are registered and not private taxis. Thus much more safer.

4. You have to ask Richard if he has any recommended drivers that speak simple english or Chinese. If not, ask Richard to be your driver. He'll be more glad. LOL

5. For spas & jacuzzis, i've tried Isabella, but it costs around sgd$70. For the budget kinda, Chandrana might be able to recommend you those outlets.

6. Yes 933 Golden Prawn has really deproved. From my opinion, its because they are serving the those on batam tours in big groups, they rush through their cooking and dishes, thus their food quality and taste really dropped alot. No hard feelings ya! The standard of weywey is still there. Do try it. Its just a minute walk away from Harbourbay Ferry Terminal. Another nearby seafood outlet is at Winsor.

7. You wanna go waterfront City for? It's around 30-45minutes away i guess. I might be wrong. Just trying to help ya!

8. According to some forumers here, Kepri Mall is not worth a visit, same for Harbourbay Mall. You might as well spend your time at Nagoya Hills Mall, BCS Mall or MegaMall at batam center.

Dont worry Polaris. Batam is safe, as long you know what to do. eg: your bags in front, do not show excessive cash in public etc.

Please feel free to ask any questions should you have further doubts. Cheers!

Batam, Indonesia
2. Re: Enquiries for Batam on holiday (Easter day period)

haha Yihanz , spot on all the answers .

1. the malls here are not as crowded as you get in Singapore malls during the weekends . it is even much more crowded at Orchard road that it is here . visit Nagoya Hill .

2. nothing really interesting around the area , only that at night there might be a lott of gays walking around .

3. barelang is only as good as sight seeing , nothing much . they have great sandy beach but it is like an hour ride from barelang , further down . taxis will cost you a bomb for two ways . Rp250.000 , that is only stop by the first bridge . further down , i think you'll have to pay more .

4. i have one driver i can recommend , if you want me to drive you , intro me chio bu . hehe , peace and just joking .

5. hmm , $30 ?

6. golden prawn is ok ok la , not that bad not that good .

7. 35 - 45 minutes on rough traffic . not really worth the visit tho , if you are into outdoor sport activities , then your best bet is golden kompleks .

8. nothing much at kepri mall , nagoya hill and bcs mall is better .

batam is safee , one of the safest destinations in indonesia . i believe .

just answering a little , to add up post counts , haha , but yihanz got the answers correct .

Singapore, Singapore
3. Re: Enquiries for Batam on holiday (Easter day period)

Yes batam is really safe. The locals wont really rob you la. You are their "income" through tourism. why would they even risk their reputation for their rice bowl? (:

4. Re: Enquiries for Batam on holiday (Easter day period)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:20 am, May 29, 2014
Singapore, Singapore
5. Re: Enquiries for Batam on holiday (Easter day period)

Thanks Aimlink for providing a more detailed answer.

Cheers!

6. Re: Enquiries for Batam on holiday (Easter day period)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, March 17, 2014