We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying at Tempat Senang - General Questions

Belfast
reviews: 7
Staying at Tempat Senang - General Questions

Hi all,

Sorry if some of this has been asked before and maybe repeating questions. I did look at the forum but didn't find definitive answers.

The pregnant wife and I are staying at Tempat Senang for 4 days over CNY. We would like to know the following:

1) We're not expecting to do very much on Batam given my wife's condition but just in case we do head around the island do we really need to bring IDR for taxis/purchasing things outside the hotel?

2) We would like to experience food outsite the hotel so are there any eating places near us? We don't want to travel big distances but although the food in the hotel is meant to be nice, I would like to eat more locally/cheaply. Shame we can't have any seafood though (not recommended for pregancy), going by some of the posts we're missing out!

3) We're both on British passports so we need the VOA. Does this have to be paid in USD or can we use SGD?

Thanks for your help!

Belfast
1. Re: Staying at Tempat Senang - General Questions

Sorry guys, I just found a couple of older posts regarding the currency thing. Seems like the advice is that SGD isn't really usable if you want a decent rate. We'll be getting IDR just in case we decide to head out of the hotel.

I'll try to get some USD for the VOA as well.

We've got breakfast and spa included in our hotel deal and we're shopped out from living in S'pore. So we'd only be venturing out for meals.

I'd still appreciate some advice on eating places near our hotel.

Cheers

Batam, Indonesia
2. Re: Staying at Tempat Senang - General Questions

Hi Irishluck,

(1) For taxi , yes you need to pay in IDR.

For puchasing, it is depend on where will you buy the things.

If you shop in big mall, there are a lot of money changer.

If you bu things at local shop, you need to pay in IDR.

(2) No.

(3) You can pay in US or Sin $ (both are accepted)

Regards,

Belfast
3. Re: Staying at Tempat Senang - General Questions

Thanks for the reply.

Shame there isn't any other food places around the hotel.

How far (i.e. taxi time + cost) do you think we'd have to go to get to another decent/cheap food offering?

FYI the hotel menu, while it looks good, is pretty expensive for dishes I'm sure we could get cheaper elsewhere perhaps even factoring in the travel cost e.g. Beef Rendang Sgd$15 or GadoGado Sgd$12!

Cheers

Batam, Indonesia
4. Re: Staying at Tempat Senang - General Questions

I think you go to Nagoya while also for shopping.

(approx 40 minute by taxi ; IDR 90,000)

Beef rendang : Puti Bungsu restaurant (taxi driver know this place)

Gado gado : Nagoya Hill food court.

The price will be not so expensive.

Cheers...

Singapore, Singapore
reviews: 6
5. Re: Staying at Tempat Senang - General Questions

Hi Irishluck,

If you have SGD with you and you are intending to change to IDR, i'd recommend you to change it at batam shopping centres. Their exchange rates are much better compared to singapore.

And yes, you might wanna consider to visit nagoya Hills shopping centre and check out their local food there too.

Cheers!

Bintan
6. Re: Staying at Tempat Senang - General Questions

bring US dollars cash for your visa-on-arrival

otherwise you will get a lousy exchange rate

for info, there is short stay VOA at US$10.- per person

this gives you 7 days / 6 nights

you do not have to take the 30 days visa for a short stay

but both entry and exit points must be in the Riau Islands

Batam, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Batam
reviews: 18
7. Re: Staying at Tempat Senang - General Questions

sorry for the late reply... been sick and busy..

anyway, it seems like your questions have been answered so I will just comment on the food. The price is such a ripoff! hahaha... you can get damn good rendang and gado gado for SGD$ 2 in the city area. Even the malls only selling it for no more than $2.5. But such is the price for staying in the resort... especially a solitude one =)

Well i would at least suggest you to go to city at least twice. It's less than 30 mins =)

cheeersss

8. Re: Staying at Tempat Senang - General Questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, February 07, 2014