We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My 1st time experience in Batam

Singapore, Singapore
reviews: 2
My 1st time experience in Batam

Hi

Finally I managed to venture to Batam, Nagoya on a Thu noon. Well it is a good experience but would like to share & ask some of the things I encountered.

I alight from Sin to Harbourbay Terminal. At the custom side, I noticed something strange. A male chinese (I think he is a Singaporean) was at the other lane. I thought I noticed some blue notes folded together with the passport for the terminal custom officer. He got his passport stamp & move quickly. I believe you know what I mean, right. I hope I am totally wrong. Next, after clearing the custom, I was greeted by so many cab drivers asking me for service. I was like ... give me a break, let me take stroll around the terminal & the surrounding. But there were 2 cab drivers who keep tailing me till I walk out from the terminal to the road. I've already told them I don't need service yet. But they persist. I was very uncomfortable & could not really enjoy the surrounding. I don't dare to stop & take photo as they may approach me again. Is this dangerous. I mean they don't act aggressive but the actions to me is outrageous. Is it because I alone ?

Finally when I walked further away, out of sight of them, I managed to flag a cab to Harmoni Hotel. He charged me 40K. Is this expensive. I did not bargain as I like wanting to get out of this place.

Another instance, when I flag a cab, I asked to go Nagoya Hill & I asked how much. He replied " you say" ... I remember is like 30K. He accepted. Is this normal for cab driver to say " you say" - what happened if my quoting is lesser. Is it ok ?

At the hotel, I asked one of the staff where to eat reasonable seafood as I am alone. He told to try Utama 98. I went & was surprised there was so some any seafood stalls. Most of them are with friends .... well, I'm alone & very hungry. Never think too much & sat at one table. Again, many stall's staffs came over & I was asking ... I am just one person .. won't be ordering many dishes. Finally, I get it over. Ordered some beers .. was nice & spend about 2 hours watching the eating scene there. Nice experience.

Well, any comments from you.

Hope you can give advice to those like me traveling alone. What are the "dos & "don't" to take note when in Batam.

Thanks bro.

Batam, Indonesia
1. Re: My 1st time experience in Batam

well i'm quite impressed at how you handle your situation alone .

it's normal for taxi drivers from within the terminal to approach you like that as they need money and they 'knew' you'd need a transport . no matter what , they need a customer and that's why they followed you behind like that .

my advice is to be patient with them , say "no" and continue to walk away from their direction as if you're looking for a place to eat/drink . it works sometimes , it doesn't work some other times .

40k from HarbourBay to HarmoniOne (Batam Center) is relatively cheap actually . normally it'd be 50k plus . good job .

yup , they'll ask you "how much (you want to offer)" . 30k is also quite cheap from a normal 40k plus . but anymore below than 30k i believe they'd bargain . most taxis here will bargain with you if they think that the price is too low for them .

if i can think of why he questioned you like that is because probably that cab driver 'knew' you were a tourist and normally for tourist they won't know the actual price and if you were for instance say "80k" that driver would "ok , hope in" . his profit , your loss .

Utama 89 (near harbour bay) , it is normal for quite a lot of "waitress" or staffs to approach you because each one of them come different stalls . hoping you'd choose food from their stall . just order as you will and the ones who were unlucky to get your order would just leave .

Batam, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Batam
reviews: 18
2. Re: My 1st time experience in Batam

first of all, thanks for sharing :) I don't think you were in immediate danger, but no matter where you are, don't walk alone to quiet places if you think someone is following you.

I am pretty sure you meant Harmoni Hotel in nagoya right? If so, 40k is standard. If you had taken the terminal taxi, it woulda cost you 50k.

It's normal to haggle. So if you had quote lesser, it's normal too.

Utama 98 is one of the popular food court in Batam. Atmosphere is fun... so glad you enjoyed it. Food well, so so... enough to get by. And in food court here, it's normal for them to come up to you. It's basically like 'Newton Circle' in singapore.

Anyway, next time you come alone... gimme a buzz. If i am around, we can go have supper or something.

cheeersss

Singapore, Singapore
3. Re: My 1st time experience in Batam

Hi Chandrana

Hi, thanks for the tips. Ya, will give u a buzz the next time I am travel to Batam alone. Actually I am challenging myself to travel alone. Something that I wanted to do for so long but never get a chance.

U know I don't speak Malay at all. When I was at Harmoni having breakfast, I spoke to one Malaysia guy who come Batam for business frequently - he said I am crazy ! Hahahaha.

Well, my next plan is Vietnam probably 1st half of next year. If anyone in this forum interested to join me .... give me a buzz..

cheers

Batam, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Batam
4. Re: My 1st time experience in Batam

No problem dude... you can give me or richard a buzz... but i think richard prefers hot young girls! buhahahaa... j/k =) he is a cool guy...

Well, I will skip vietnam... buhahaha... thanks for the offer though. Enjoy!!!

Singapore, Singapore
5. Re: My 1st time experience in Batam

Hi Chandra

Btw I dun hav Richard & your contact. Can let me know.

Thanks

Batam, Indonesia
6. Re: My 1st time experience in Batam

Hahahaha *shy* the next time you come by again you should bring some introduction for me haha jk jk jk .

my contact details are on my proile in About Me . it's an old outdated info but the number that ends with 191 is still in use .

7. Re: My 1st time experience in Batam

I suggest those of you who may want an alternative to busy Batam to try the Telunas Beach experience. It's located in the islands to the east of Sekupang and is a true escape from Singapore (see Telunas Beach Rustic Resort on Sugi Island).

Batam, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Batam
8. Re: My 1st time experience in Batam

Thanks for sharing brad... i will definitely check that place out =)

9. Re: My 1st time experience in Batam

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:17 am, December 16, 2013