We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beware of rigged ratings and self-advertising kind of posts

Batam, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Batam
reviews: 19
Beware of rigged ratings and self-advertising kind of posts

For our discerning readers,

I am in no position to judge the authenticity of any post by any member. But throughout my experience in trip advisor and other forums, it is unwise to just plunge yourself into a decision because of ratings from many first time posters. Whether it's in a forum, hotel and restaurant reviews/ratings, and others of such nature, I suggest you to digest more from members with multiple contributions as they tend to provide more reliable information.

I can attest to you that even for Batam hotels/restaurants/services, they are definitely rigged ratings by those first time reviewers. And all you need is to pay someone $10/day to make multiple accounts and such.

For my own experience, I was mislead once in China because of such rigged ratings. In short, I stayed in the worst hotel ever (Because I thought it was such a good deal for such a nice rating) and ended up moving to a different hotel. I have heard many of such stories as well from trip advisor members that I had met in Batam.

The very last thing I want to see is those first-timers come to Batam and have an ugly experience here. You should be enjoying your short getaway here period!

In conclusion, Batam is really small and if you have read enough in the forum, you would soon realize that it isn't hard to navigate in Batam. And the forum has plenty of info that provides more than enough for you to survive the usual 2D1N trip.

Okay enough ranting for me. Just one of those sleepless nights for me. Hahhaha... Safe travel and enjoy my fellow travelers!!!

Cheeerss

Edited: 11:24 am, November 07, 2012
Lombok, Indonesia
reviews: 5
1. Re: Beware of rigged ratings and self-advertising kind of posts

A very wise caution :)

It applies equally well to all destinations, not just Batam,

Batam, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Batam
2. Re: Beware of rigged ratings and self-advertising kind of posts

Thanks Hurcules...

But yes indeed, this applies everywhere!

Anyway, ah ha! I found someone to ask about Lombok when I visit next year. I heard it's developing very fast. Hahahahaa....

nice to meet you Lombok's DE!!!

cheeersss

Lombok, Indonesia
reviews: 5
3. Re: Beware of rigged ratings and self-advertising kind of posts

I often read your Posts here Chandrana, you are a tireless contributor and I am sure you have smoothed out the wrinkles for many people visiting or passing through Batam.

Batam, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Batam
4. Re: Beware of rigged ratings and self-advertising kind of posts

Thanks again for the kind words. I try my best whenever I have free time =) And if I am tireless, you are like 10 times more tireless than me!!! buahhaaa....

In any case, glad to help you guys!!! Be safe and have fun!!!

Batam, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Batam
5. Re: Beware of rigged ratings and self-advertising kind of posts

Bump for warnings for all travelers!

Bali, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Ubud, Pemuteran
reviews: 82
6. Re: Beware of rigged ratings and self-advertising kind of posts

Good advice, Chandrana! I hope many people read your post and follow your advice...

Batam, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Batam
7. Re: Beware of rigged ratings and self-advertising kind of posts

Thanks for reading Ubudpuppy... just one of those days when I had something to share =)

Batam, Indonesia
8. Re: Beware of rigged ratings and self-advertising kind of posts

if TA only had a "like" system . hahaha peace

South Australia
reviews: 120
9. Re: Beware of rigged ratings and self-advertising kind of posts

Hi Chandrana

Every reviewer must have a first review, however some seem to be fairly blatant self advertising, not just Batam but across the TA world.

I tend to go through the most recent 10-20 reviews of a place and then provided not all first time reviewers, I look for common themes or actually hope to find a couple of minor complaints among them on the basis that not every place will be a 5* every time for every person. Also what appeals to me will not appeal to every other person but might to the majority.

Everyone has their own pet likes/dislikes which will make or break a review.

I would hate a nightclub/disco at my hotel but others would prefer to have one so my review would be much lower than theirs however it is probable that both of our reviews would mention the nightclub so future potential customers could make up their own mind based on whether that is an issue or attraction for them.

So far i have been happy with my selections based on this method but no doubt one day i might get one wrong. Hopefully not on my upcoming trip in about a months time.

Also if all reviews are older than 12 months then i would be doubtful about their reliability either way because of possible improvements or deteriorations in that time.

Cheers

not sure if there is a definitive answer on how to solve the problem but it also applies to activities and drivers etc self promoting

Batam, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Batam
10. Re: Beware of rigged ratings and self-advertising kind of posts

Well said mcb. We already mentioned above that this is true everywhere else =)

As you said everyone has their own likes/dislikes. As such, they are all entitled to their own opinions. I agree every reviewer gotta start somewhere but I was pointing at "first time posters" not reviewer. Because in Batam case, there are many members who posted glowing and godly review and when you right click on their profile, they have 0 post in the forum. This kind of review lose credibility in my opinion.

Say, there is member X, who has 100 posts in the forum (depending on the contents but let's not get too detailed). This X only has 1 review! His review should have some credibility because at least I don't think he just created the account to reply many posts just so that he can review 1 place. Even if that's the case, then I am giving this X an A for efforts and am gladly be fooled by his review =)

Will there be an exception? Of course! But I am not gonna discuss it further because I have better things to do. And with this post alone, I could have replied 10 messages sitting in my inbox =)

The point is we are all old enough to read and digest the information. Whatever decision you make based on TA reviews/forums/etc, let it be informed decisions. And if you still get unlucky after all these, well, pray more, help the needy, control your temper, be nice to people around you, stay positive, do more good deeds, etc. hahahahahaa...

Cheeersss

Get answers to your questions about Batam