We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do we have to tip after spa/facial or massage?

Which Batam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore
reviews: 2
Do we have to tip after spa/facial or massage?

Hi, do we have to tip the staff after our respective spa/facial or massage? If yes, how much normally?

Batam, Indonesia
1. Re: Do we have to tip after spa/facial or massage?

It won't cost so much , I'm normally a greedy person and I tip them about Rp10.000 .

Batam, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Batam
reviews: 17
2. Re: Do we have to tip after spa/facial or massage?

Yes you must. I usually give Rp 20,000.

reviews: 4
3. Re: Do we have to tip after spa/facial or massage?

Well, its not a culture in indonesia, and is not a must. But for good service, rp 20000 is good. Its approx 40 percent of their daily pay, and that would really make her day. For average service 10k to 15k should be ok. I sometimes dont give them anything if they are slacking and steals time, though sometimes 5k is ok to tell them that they are not good enough. Its your call.

Batam, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Batam
4. Re: Do we have to tip after spa/facial or massage?

I disagree. Right now in Batam, you need to give tip for such services. In fact in most other parts of indonesia, you must give tip for massages, spas, and salons.

But is it a culture? No it's not. In restaurant you don't give tips. I don't think they will do anything if you don't give them but it's a very normal thing right now. But yeah, it's your call.

reviews: 4
5. Re: Do we have to tip after spa/facial or massage?

Bro. It really comes to the level of service. Some massage trains their employees well, and they deserve tip as motivation, while some are really slacking. try those massage place with cooperation with tours, then try visit them on saturdays or sundays at night. You'll find what i mean. That'll burn a hole through the bag of good impressions on Batam. They might be too tired to take on us, but still do it, hence below-standard service. Haha.

Singapore
reviews: 2
6. Re: Do we have to tip after spa/facial or massage?

Thanks.. Yeah guess 10,000 to 20,000 seems ok :)

bunbury
reviews: 128
7. Re: Do we have to tip after spa/facial or massage?

Chandrana why is it a "must"? I only give a tip if it is good massage/pedicure etc? I have had many over the years and will happily tip well if I think they have earned it but not just because its a "must" as then it will be expected. The price is the price and you should not be expected to pay more unless they have earnt it. When I get a girl that talks the whole time with her co worker in Indonesian and does a lousy massage because they would rather be anywhere else then here then even giving them 5,000 is too much for me.

Batam, Indonesia
reviews: 24
8. Re: Do we have to tip after spa/facial or massage?

You are absolutely right greent007,

If it is a must then it should be included in the price. Tip should be earn by how good their services are. The willing to give or not are yours.

But the truth is all worker that doing services jobs like massage, mani-pedi or even waiters at small restaurant and food court ARE EXPECTING TIPS.

HOW MUCH ? I give a figure ! For 50.000 rupiah, most of them will accompany you until the exit door and say thank you many times to you, For 20.000 are minimum amount expected and they still thanks to you but you walk out the door yourself. For 10.000 they still say thank you but for politeness as you are the customer and for 5.000 you hardly can hear they say thanks and definitely they will talk about you behind the door and you disgusting your country, better not tipping at all, some of them might feel humiliated, of course not all, depend on people character.

So it's really your judgment and again your character also, do you appreciate the job ? Are you squeamish person ? Or considerate enough to let them talk each other while working ?

Well, it's really up to you !

Batam, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Batam
9. Re: Do we have to tip after spa/facial or massage?

A 'must' is my opinion. He asked a question and I answered. As simple as that.

Will I still give tip if they don't do their job? I will, but less. If they are not even doing their job, I will stop them midway and ask for a replacement. Fortunately, I have never met any lousy massages. Maybe my standard is low? Maybe I am not picky? Maybe I am simply lucky? I don't know. I am just a happy person.

Ninoy explained further in detail. I will just reiterate one point, which I mentioned in my earlier post too, it's YOUR call.

"To give or not to give?" That is indeed the question.

10. Re: Do we have to tip after spa/facial or massage?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, December 09, 2013