We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First visit to Batam.

Which Batam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore
reviews: 2
First visit to Batam.

Hello all :)

As the title says, I have no prior experience in visiting Batam but decided to give it a try with my boyfriend since im having my 4 days leave (10 oct - 14 oct).

We had searched the net and was stuck in a dilemma regarding the choice of hotel and our preferences. We heard from friends that hotels near the vibrant nagoya require land transfer whereas Harris Batam centre is only minutes walk away from ferry terminal only but theres only one mega mall in the area. As I have motion sickness, we try to reduce the time of land transport as much as possible but wanted to visit nagoya if possible (since it seems to be lots of activities over there).

So i wanted to know if we chose Harris batam center, how long does it take to go to nagoya? Or if we chose hotels like I hotel which is near nagoya, how long would it take for the land transfer to I hotel? Or is it advisable to even visit nagoya?

Following up, will a 2D1N stay enough to explore nagoya or, 3D2N basing on your personal experiences?

Sorry for this lengthy post. Trying to describe my situation as detailed as possible haha.

Batam, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Batam
reviews: 17
1. Re: First visit to Batam.

hey claudia,

no problem about your questions or lengthy post. the more details you provide, the easier I could help you.

Normally 2D1N is enough... 3D2N just means that you get to eat more and do more massages.

No matter which hotel you choose, there will be pros and cons in terms of location and you will want to visit at least two malls or else you will be bored to death. I-hotel is near Nagoya City mall, Harris Batam center is near Megamal, and BCC hotel is near BCS mall. And the distance between each of these is no more than a 15-min drive. Read though other threads in the forum to help you get an idea.

First decide on your dates and hotel. The rest is easy :) I recommend you come on weekdays rather than weekend just to avoid the crowd. If you have other questions, feel free to msg me.

cheeersss

Singapore
2. Re: First visit to Batam.

Thanks for your prompt reply :)

We decided to go on 10 oct (wed) -11 oct (thurs) but most hotels states that checking in time would be 2pm, so we were afraid it may not be enough time to explore around since we need to check out before 12pm on 11 oct.

We wanted to have some window shopping but focusing more on food & relaxation. Probably you could recommend which hotel (I hotel or Harris Batam) is better for a 2D1N?

Would SGD $200 be enough to cover for 2 pax for personal expenses on food & massage?

Btw, i got confused with return ferry pricing. I thought on top of the price of ferry tickets, additional $27/pax have to be paid for PDF & taxes only? Why some of them have surcharge? So is there surcharges or not?

Thanks alot once again :)

Batam, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Batam
3. Re: First visit to Batam.

I-hotel is more for business traveler whereas Harris Batam center is more relax and fun. I would suggest Harris just because you can walk from Terminal to the hotel.

You can reach early and just leave your baggage with the hotel and do a check-in later after dinner or something. I suggest you immediately go to Nagoya are for lunch, window shopping, and massages. Then go back hotel after dinner and maybe catch a movie in Megamal before the day ends. The next day you can laze around and just spend the time at Megamal before you go back to Singapore. It's more efficient this way.

$200 is definitely enough just for food and massages. But no shark fins and whatnot =) And no spa... just massages.

The ferry tickets to Batam center should be around $32-37 all-in for round trips. Choose either Sindoferry or Batam fast if you are staying in harris. The prices are standard so dun worry about surcharges and whatnot.

enjoy!

4. Re: First visit to Batam.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 pm, January 11, 2013
Batam, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Batam
5. Re: First visit to Batam.

Hey claudia,

totally not gonna recommend Smiling hill to you. First, the location is a bit ulu although it's near nagoya area. You need transport to get to any mall compared to say I-hotel or Harris which is just 3-min walk away from a mall. If you stay in Harris, you can just walk to Batam Center ferry terminal. Also, why would you come to Batam and eat western food at goodies? Singapore western food standard is definitely better.

Last but not least, it's cool to help out travelers with information. But all aimlink' posts are all about promoting smilling hill. I am surprised the moderator hasn't done anything about this. So something for you to think about.

enjoy ur trip...

Singapore
6. Re: First visit to Batam.

Hi all, thanks for providing information and sharing your thoughts. Well personally, i dont think smilinghill is for us when i search the net regards to it. Not that its isnt good, though providing guides and info for travelers and like what Aimlink said, but we prefer walking distance to malls from the hotel we are gonna stay. Since its 2D1N, i dont think we need such a huge room/ house either, just small airconditioned room.

Yea, like what chandra said, to go to all the malls requires transportation, which im trying to minimize the use of it.

By the way, we decided to stay in harris batam centre. We arent taking any packages since we calculated that packages are much more ex In total (they based on per pax) and prefers free & easy.

So should we book through online or on arrival? Because if through online, i dont know if they are reliable or not since i heard some nasty experiences whereas booking through harris online web, its based on IDR. But if on arrival, i wonder if theres available rooms.

Maybe can enlighten me some online trustable websites (if online) or if on arrival, what to bring (sorry if this sounds stupid)?

Thanks alot!

Batam, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Batam
7. Re: First visit to Batam.

hehee.. don't worry claudia.. totally understand where your thinking. This is your trip.. you make decisions... and we are just here to help out =)

Free and easy is the best way to go. I personally would book through harris batam center main website. You can check www.agoda.com as well but most likely the price is gonna be the same. Just compare both and if they are the same, I suggest you book through the hotel direct website. You can try you luck by e-mailing the hotel directly and ask if they have certain deals on your date of arrivals :)

Never ever book on arrival. Usually they will give you rack rate which is ridiculously more expensive.

Hope it helps. For more specific questions, just PM me directly so we don't flood the forum. hahahaa

Cheeeersss

Singapore, Singapore
reviews: 4
8. Re: First visit to Batam.

i totally agree with Chandrana to take the free and easy tour

During my last visit, i think i hotel looks good and location wise is just next to Nagoya Hill mall.

But pls do not stay at GGi Hotel as i had a very bad experience with this hotel. It is a fairly new hotel but the hygience and service standard is very poor.

Just my sincere opinion

9. Re: First visit to Batam.

Go to nagoya.if you stay at harris batam centre you will feel bored...

10. Re: First visit to Batam.

Go to nagoya.if you stay at harris batam centre you will feel bored...