We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3d2n Trip 28/8-30/8

Which Batam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
singapore
3d2n Trip 28/8-30/8

Just thought i do up a review on how my 3D2N trip went.

This was supposedly a short and cheap getaway trip with my girlfriend, so maybe y'all could use it as reference or whatsoever.

So.. we took the "Wavemaster" ferry (the counter is on the 3rd floor for those that don't know) ; 48SGD for the 2-way trip. I don't think anyone is interested in the ferry journey and review so skipping that. We got off at Harbor Bay Terminal, got a taxi pretty fast, paid 30K for a trip to Triniti Hotel.

There happened to be a 3D2N package when we booked the rooms - 69SGD. 2nd time here actually, was really impressed the first time i came here that's why i chose to stay there again. I'm not one that would want to pay a lot for accommodation, so i'm not really fussy or anything when it comes to smaller details. Check-in was real fast, 5minutes of verification and we got the room card and were off, i requested for a change of room and that was done in a jiffy too. (Point to make, The 1st room was fine but i wanted to stay on a higher floor, that explains the switch)

The room was clean, aircon was good, bathroom was clean too, no musky smell in the wardrobe, the mini fridge was working well. No stains on the sheets, and there wasn't any smell too. TV worked fine, wi-fi connection in the room was excellent. Honestly, Triniti is one of the better budget hotels I've stayed in, so for those wanting a cheap place, you guys could check it out. The staff mostly understand basic english, there's 1 or 2 who speak fluent english so those who don't speak Bahasa, no worries here. There's a massage next to Triniti, it's probably run by the hotel, i tried it the first time i was here, it's good actually, but the price was a little higher, there's a spa and jacuzzi too, but i'm not sure if you need to pay to use it.

After settling in, we walked over to Nagoya City Mall (NCM), it's a short walk from Triniti, say.... 5-10minutes? First timers will probably need help so just ask the reception, don't waste money on a taxi haha. When you exit Triniti, go straight, turn left, walk straight pass the car wash, take the first right, when you reach the 2way road, turn right and go straight all the way, turn at the second left and NCM is right in front. it's hard to even miss it, because once you reach the second left, NCM is located on a small hill, you'd be able to see it even when it's dark. Had Ayam Penyet for lunch (right beside pizza hut), meal was good and cheap for an eatery located in a mall, went to get some cupcorn, this snack is damn good and addictive, 5K for a cup of corn with sweetened and condensed milk, unless you have diabetes, you need to try it. Went to catch a movie next, the cinema's at the third floor. First time watching a movie here, and the theater is SO SO SO MUCH BETTER than the ones in Singapore. Seats are so comfy, the quality was great considering that a ticket only cost 30k, sound a little too loud (DOLBY 7.1 system). great movie experience. Oh for those wondering, we watched StepUp, english show with indo subs, so no language barrier. The shows are all screened in their original language, so definitely a must to catch up on ridiculous shows you don't wanna pay 10 bucks for back in SG. There's a KTV somewhere on the third floor near one of the arcades with cheap rates, quite a variety of songs when i went there last year, so those on group outings could check that out. The arcades dont really have much games but it's really cheap and fun, so it's a good place to spend some time too. Bought some groceries and walked back to the hotel, yes, at night. Oh, and we even had supper at one of those roadside stalls, never had such delicious indomie and milo ever.

I know, many people think Batam is dangerous, but trust me, every country is equally dangerous, of course, it's advisable not to walk around late at night. Anyway, just be aware of your surroundings and be careful. Ladies, just keep your handbag on the inside when you're walking to prevent snatch theft. If possible, don't even bring a handbag around. Guys, just protect the ladies.

Second day, went for a massage. Oh btw, en route from Triniti to NCM, you will pass by Spa Secret. It has good reviews and all but it's a budget trip, so..... i didn't try it. Went to "Everyday" instead. The place is located on the other side of NCM, When you exit NCM on the other side, A&W should be on your left, "Everyday" is located opposite, down the road. Prices are pretty reasonable here. we did a 1.5hour thai + traditional massage for like 90k each. The masseuse was great, we had our massages in a couple room so of course there was some chatting from the masseuse, but at least they were whispering and it was just short chats. Half the time we were asleep anyway, so looks like it didn't affect me.

Went for a quick lunch at A&W (ROOT BEER FLOAT AND WAFFLES YEAHHHHH) before heading back to the hotel for a nap.

Went for dinner at ADI-8. Most of the locals know where it is, if they don't just say Baloi Mas (Thanks Chandrana for this tip!!) 40K cab ride to the area, somehow my taxi rides seem to be really cheap, always try to bargain with the driver, anything at 30-40K is honestly a good price, especially if there's more than 2 people.

The food here, as always is AMAZING. it's much much better than alot of zi char places back in SG. i found this place because i was lost once on a trip with my friends, we just walked and walked and ended up here, and trust me, the area around here isn't a place you want to get lost in, so yes, take a taxi to avoid the hassle. Ordered black pepper crab, cereal prawns, kangkung AND THE SPECIALTY - THE FRIED GARLIC ONION CHICKEN. it's ayam bawang, but bawang is onion, but there was garlic inside, so whatever the translation is, it's just good. Anyway, the menu has bahasa and chinese, unless you can't understand chinese, shouldn't be a problem. Every of the dishes i give it a 9/10 ( no such thing as perfect hahaha). Total bill came up to only 25SGD. it's really really worth it, oh i had like 6bottles of TEHBOTOL and the girlfriend had a coconut juice. so to me, yeah it was damn cheap. The taxi driver that sent me there had earlier offered to pickup, i told him to come back in an hour and a half and he really appeared promptly. Total taxi ride to and fro was only 80K, i gave him 100K though. Don't scrimp on your tips in Batam, it's good to show people appreciation.

Last day of the trip, we had to check out at 12, walked to NCM again, went to ESKA spa for foot reflexology, the 2 guy masseuse were awesome, they complied to our requests and we had one of the best foot massages ever. Most masseuse do understand simple english, but if ever you feel it's too painful "sakit" is the word for you to use, it means pain. IMO, it's best to equip yourself with some commonly used words, for your own convenience. We had lunch at another of those roadside stalls, i just love this tasty yet cheap meals. If i could ever find the recipe for the "ABC" sauce, i'd put it into all my meals back here. The "ABC" sauce is similar to that in the Indomie packets, but very very very much tastier. Most of it is homemade, and you can't pass it thru Customs or even ship it back because they don't even sell it in the first place. I feel Bandung's (city in indo) ABC sauce is sweeter and adds more flavour but the ones in Batam aren't that far off.

Took a taxi back to Harbor Bay terminal, there's really nothing much to do at Harbor Bay Mall, it's still under construction, so better to settle your return trip when you reach Batam, get the return details sorted out so you don't have to loiter around in the mall waiting for too long. Even carrefour has nothing much to shop for. Ended up doing one of those 9K/15 minutes massages on the armchair while waiting to pass time, and it was quite good actually. There are some food stalls located right outside the check-in, so one could probably sit there for a drink while waiting. I only got the return tickets when i was leaving because it was a 3D2N trip, so took the ferry back, and that concludes the trip!

Quick shoutout again to Chandrana for answering my questions in another topic regarding the planning of the trip! Thanks man!

Edited: 5:35 pm, September 03, 2012
Batam, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Batam
reviews: 17
1. Re: 3d2n Trip 28/8-30/8

Hey tralala...

OMG.. if I can hit like or something, I will give you 111 likes! buhahaha...

Thanks for the great write-up. It makes my day just to read your experience. I am so glad you got to have so much fun. Next time you come here tell me, I bring you to try other godly roadside stalls or zi char place or maybe even kelong seafood!

I couldn't agree more about the theaters. All theaters in Batam is already at HD level with damn good 7.1 dolby surround sound. It's definitely better than most theaters in Singapore =)

Hahah Singaporean and their childhood A&W experience. I still think KFC >>> A&W here =) But thanks for you guys, A&W here can survive so long.

Appreciate your shout-out and see you when you come here again =)

cheeerrsss

Batam, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Batam
2. Re: 3d2n Trip 28/8-30/8

Oh i forgot to say... you are good with taxis. The prices you mentioned are cheap!!! HAhaha.. i must take you shopping and haggle for me! buahaha... cheeersss

singapore
3. Re: 3d2n Trip 28/8-30/8

no problem man, you deserve the shoutout(s) hahaha, don't know how active you're in other forums but you sure helped out a lot of people here in TripAdvisor.

yeah sure i'll pm you or something if there's a trip being planned, hopefully soon, busy lifestyle here in SG takes the life out of us!

Cheers to you too!

Batam, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Batam
4. Re: 3d2n Trip 28/8-30/8

Well.. I have met with many couples from trip advisors and I would hope that I did help them one way or another =) As for other forums, no time to do so much given my other commitments.

Yeah yeah... come here and relax. It's definitely a good change from Singapore.. I worked there for a year and absolutely find the working life there stressful. Maybe it was just the company i worked for but ppl there damn kia su. If boss is there till 7, ppl stay till 7. Gggrrr... we need to date you know. hahahaha...

see you around tralala!

5. Re: 3d2n Trip 28/8-30/8

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, October 03, 2013