We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Batam experts pls help :(

Singapore
Level Contributor
157 posts
2 reviews
Batam experts pls help :(

Dear all,

Need your advice and help. I booked the Harbour Bay Amir

hotel in Batam under the deal package sometime back. Last recalled that when i came in to check on Harbour Bay Amir there were only 2 reviews and both were postive,

I am leaving for Batam and upon checking today, to my horror both new comments by Singaporean said it was terrible.. :(

I was the one who insisted my buddy go with me to Batam for this short trip but seeing the comments i just hope to get good advice on what to do out of hotel since the hotel is so horrible.

Please advise an itinerary and the cost when i reach on Sat so i won't get scolded by my buddy. Thank you so much!

St. Gallen...
Destination Expert
for Jakarta, Bandung
Level Contributor
1,830 posts
55 reviews
1. Re: Batam experts pls help :(

Hey, I looked through the review of that particular hotel.. since that all the reviewers has only one post, you should doubt the credibility of the review. If you want to choose a good hotel. Choose a good hotel with many reviews.. Not only written with people with only one review..

If you didn't book the hotel with a travel agent of promo fare.. It would be easy for you to cancel the booking and move to another one..

Hope this helps..

Singapore
Level Contributor
157 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: Batam experts pls help :(

Nothing i can do except for go for the trip now...

Can i have suggestions what to do there? Massage? Go-Kart? Any nice food around Amir hotel anyone?

Thanks!

Batam, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Batam
Level Contributor
1,776 posts
28 reviews
3. Re: Batam experts pls help :(

This probably comes late. Amir hotel is not a bad hotel but location is definitely not cool! There isn't any nice food around and to get anywhere, you need a cab.

Let me know how was your trip. And if you come to batam again, feel free to drop me a pm. I will let you know all you need to know about batam =)

When time permits, I will do a write-up about Batam so most people won't be so clueless and can enjoy their short 1-2 day trips in Batam. Batam in fact has quite a bit to offer especially FOOD!!!

Cheers!

mumbai
Level Contributor
2 posts
16 reviews
4. Re: Batam experts pls help :(

hi, am planning a trip to bintan and singapore and have 9 nights in total. am wondering if it will be a good idea to spend 2 nights in batam. is that too less time? can i do snorkelling here? do let me know if its a good idea and plsss share all info u may have on this place. thankss

Edited: 10:08 am, August 24, 2011
Batam, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Batam
Level Contributor
1,776 posts
28 reviews
5. Re: Batam experts pls help :(

Hmm this is weird. did you delete your other post Trinz? I replied to your other post (same question) yesterday with quite a lengthy one.

anyway, if you have 9N, yeah you can come to Batam. You can snorkel in Batam however I would not recommend so. The water clarity in batam is rather poor and you won't be able to see varieties of fishes. If you are into snorkeling/diving, I suggest you travel up to Redang, Malaysia. It's great place for beaches, and water activities. For other info about Batam, please check out the other Batam threads.

Thanks

mumbai
Level Contributor
2 posts
16 reviews
6. Re: Batam experts pls help :(

thanks. is snorkelling advisble and can be done in BINTAN ? if yes any specific areas/beaches ?

Batam, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Batam
Level Contributor
1,776 posts
28 reviews
7. Re: Batam experts pls help :(

Snorkeling can be done in Bintan but again, I am not sure what kind of expectations you have for snorkeling. One thing for sure, Bintan has clearer water compared to Batam/Singapore. However, the water activities might be limited in some resorts. You should check with the hotel directly and see what they offer.

Most people go to Lagoi Area in Bintan for beaches. I am sure there are some other beaches but I only been to Lagoi so can't say much about others. Try checking the Bintan thread.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
6 posts
17 reviews
8. Re: Batam experts pls help :(

Hi there

I'm going there with my girl friends (4 of us altogether) this Saturday for a 3D2N stay at Harmoni Hotel.

Hope you are able to recommend places to eat as well as good spa.

Batam, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Batam
Level Contributor
1,776 posts
28 reviews
9. Re: Batam experts pls help :(

Harmoni is a nice hotel and the location is good as well. To your left, there is mcdonald but Singapore one is better =) to your right, is KFC and the chickens taste better here =) Inside the hotel but towards the back entrance, there is a korean restaurant. Quite good but Singapore has better Korean food I think.

Nagoya Hill Mall is within 15m walk from your hotel. There is a food street there with a bunch of restaurants and food stands. I am not sure why Singaporeans love A&W so much but yeah, they have A&W there. Hahaha... Look around there are some local food there if you want to try out. For restaurants, I will recommend 'Grand Duck' and 'Happiness'. Both of them are chinese-style. If you haven't tried 'pempek' before then you can visit 'Citra Pempek' also along the food street. Must order their 'pempek kulit', it's their best-seller.

There is a roadside stall on your way from the hotel to NH Mall. It only opens after 6pm and you won't miss the crowd. But beware, your stomach gotta be strong to stomach the food =) ahhahaha

Ok the best part. SEAFOOD! My personal favorite and shared by many as well would be 'Sri Rezeki' in Batu Besar area. It's about 40m drive from the city but it's definitely worth it. Then there is this 'Adi-8' restaurant located in 'Baloi Mas' residential area. The 'garlic fried chicken' there is heavenly good. Other dishes there are good as well. Then if you like BBQ, we have good 'ikan bakar' etc etc.

There are so many more when it comes to food but I can't possibly tell you all. Obviously most of the good ones require transportation and local guide. hahaha...

Okay to Spa now. A popular and inexpensive spa would be 'Win Spa'. Located just behind Harmoni Hotel. I think they only serves female customers so I can't tell you how good it is =) Among those that I have tried, my personal favorite would be 'The Spa Secret'. It's located next to 'The Hills' hotel. When you walk from Harmoni hotel to NH Mall, it will be on your left. You can't miss it. If you just want a full body massage or reflexology, you can try 'Sports' massage. It's located just across the street (to the right) of Harmoni hotel.

If you gals are into singing, there are 3 popular Karaoke like (K-box) in NH mall compound: Happy Puppy, Nav-nav (or Naf-naf), and Inul Vista. If you are into clubbing and just wanna pick up some dudes or maybe get picked up, the most popular club in town should be 'No Name' located on the back part of Harmoni hotel. But a light warning, the club here is nothing like Singapore's.

There are so many other things but that's all I can think about now. Oh yeah, only take cab from terminal or hotel (you pay more but safer). The closest one to your hotel would be Harbour Bay terminal. No more than 10m ride and it should cost you around 50k rupiah ($7). NEVER hail cab on the road. Be safe now.

Let me know if you have other questions! Enjoy!

Batam, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Batam
Level Contributor
1,776 posts
28 reviews
10. Re: Batam experts pls help :(

Oh forgot to mention, if you wanna go K-ing... they only open after 8pm because of the fasting period =)

Also, check the price and feel free to request for a quick tour before you commit to any spa. That way you know what you gonna get =)

My singaporean friends (females) love to do hair treatment here as well. I will recommend 'Mustika Ratu'. They happen to have spa too. It's about 15-20m walk from Harmoni Hotel. Unfortunately, I am not sure how to direct you. Hahaha.. ask around.

You don't need to take cabs for all these places I told you (except those food).. Good luck!

Get answers to your questions about Batam