We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which currency?

Which Batam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Belfast, United...
reviews: 13
Which currency?

Hello All,

I will be doing a day trip to Batam from Singapore, will the shops accept singapore dollars or should I exchange them for local currency and where do I get a good exchange rate.

Sydney
reviews: 23
1. Re: Which currency?

The larger shops will accept Singapore dollars though best to get some Indonesia Rupiah for your trip

Belfast, United...
2. Re: Which currency?

Thanks scott,

you've obviously been to Batam, any tips? The mate and I are going for some cheap shopping, do you think it's worth the effort?

Thanks for your previous reply.

Sydney
3. Re: Which currency?

I've been over to Batam by ferry from Singapore 2 times in the last 12 months.

It's not exactly a shopping meca though have a fair few shopping centres with cheap DVDs, CDs and electrical goods. I picked up a cheap digital camera when I was there in March.

Though most people go over from Singapore for the golf courses or the nightlife (massage parlours etc).

There not a great deal more to do there.

Check out here if you are into golf, lists all the different courses as well as the ferry companies that go across from Singapore:

http://www.sumatra-indonesia.com/batam.htm

Belfast, United...
4. Re: Which currency?

Thanks for getting back to me Scott, we are looking to buy jeans (Levis) and some t shirts. Any suggestions where to get them? And what ferry terminal should we arrive at, I was thinking Batam center, what do you think? Also what is the procedure for clearing immigration. I know you pay $10 for the tourist visa but that's about all I know.

Finally (thank god says you) How did you find the locals, do many understand English?

Many thanks and all the best,

Billy.

Shanghai, China
reviews: 704
5. Re: Which currency?

Hi,

You are better of changing your money into rupiah at a money changer. You will get a better rate than if shops convert their prices into S$.

The best place for shopping in Nagoya. That is where the largest concentration of malls is.

Sydney
6. Re: Which currency?

Hi Billy,

I haven't been clothes shopping in Batam so not sure if the Levi's are a bargain or not. Maybe someone else knows and can post here. Though there are plenty of big shopping centres in Nagoya so I'm sure you wont have problems finding them. Get ready to bargain as it's the Indonesian way. They usually start off 3 times what they are worth, though have an idea of how much you want to pay before you begin bargaining.

Batam Centre is the best ferry port to turn up to. Only about 15 - 20 minutes in a taxi from there into Nagoya probably cost you about 50,000Rp for the ride.

Just have your US$10 ready for a short stay visa, fill in the immigration forms which you'll get leaving Singapore. When you get off the ferry you'll see a window off to the side of customs where you pay your US$10 and they put the visa in your passport. only takes a few minutes.

No problems with the locals. They generally come from other places in Indonesia - Sumatra, Java, Timor - you name it. Not many real local Batamese! Taxi drivers and shop keepers all speak good english as are used to expats and Singaporeans coming over from Singapore.

Have a great trip!

Belfast, United...
7. Re: Which currency?

Thanks Scott, that makes things a lot easier. As far as haggling is concerned I'll have you know I'm 3 times European champion and silver medalist at the Beijing olympics for free style bargaining LOL!

All the best and thanks for your help,

Billy.

8. Re: Which currency?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 pm, October 07, 2009