We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel

Which Surabaya hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Perth, Australia
reviews: 12
Hotel

Hi

I will be going to Surabaya in a couple of weeks, and would like suggestions for a suitable hotel.

I am a middle aged lady, will be travelling alone this trip. I would like to stay in a nice hotel, preferably with a garden not too far from shopping and some attractions. My reason for going to Surabaya is I would like to see my sons band play at Monkasel. (They are touring Indonesia)

Any suggestions would be appreciated. My budget is around $70 AUD per night but will pay more for nice surroundings as I like to sit outside in the early morning/afternoon.

Also is it relatively safe to wander around in the early evening,

Thank you in advance

2 replies to this topic
Jakarta, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Malang, Yogyakarta
reviews: 53
1. Re: Hotel

Hi,

You can stay in Surabaya Plaza Hotel which is walking distance to Monkasel although slightly above your budget. But you will get a large room & great range of breakfast. The hotel is attached to a shopping mall, and there's also a classic ice cream joint nearby the hotel called Zangrandi ice cream. I don't suggest to wander around at night, it's better to take Blue Bird taxi.

Surabaya, Indonesia
2. Re: Hotel

You can try Surabaya Plaza Hotel (4* around AUD70-80) but if you r a smoker, u might want to try another place as it is advertised as a non-smoking hotel. Across Monkasel is Hotel Sahid Surabaya (3* around AUD65-75). A little further (but still within walking distance) from Plaza Hotel is Garden Palace Hotel (4* around AUD50-70). Right beside Garden Palace Hotel is Surabaya's famous ice cream parlor Zangrandi (has been around since colonial times). Within the hotel complex there's a jazz bar if u like jazz music.

Shopping wise there is Plaza Surabaya located adjacent to Surabaya Plaza Hotel, caters mainly to middle to middle-low market. Across the river from Monkasel there is Grand City Mall, a more middle-up range mall. It has excellent food choices and state-of-the-art cinema on top floor.

Walking in public during early evening is fine as long as u don't wear excessive jewelry. If it's after 9pm it is wise to take taxi instead. As in all unfamiliar places, keep your belonging with u at all times, beware of pickpockets in crowded area, and people who are too nice to be true.

Hope this helps. Oh, also its rainy season now so it's wise to bring an umbrella when u go out.

Reply to: Hotel
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted