We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report 3D2N

Which Surabaya hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Melaka, Malaysia
reviews: 20
Trip Report 3D2N

We just got back from Surabaya yesterday during the weekend break. It was Wesak weekend hence it was super peak everywhere.

Bromo's view was fantastic and it was super duper cold too.

Do remember to bring warm clothings. We visited Sampoerna Museum and we were impressed. It's a really nice place and I would suggest everyone to drop by.

We didn't spend much time in Surabaya. We prebook a driver and a tour guide. They arrange accomodations of our choice and we were well taken care of.

There is nothing much to buy in Surabaya, Bromo, Malang. The view was fantastic. And however the driving is Indonesia is super duper scary.

WE also went to Songa for river rafting and it was very fun. You will get to see the village and their lifestyle. Really poor country. We saw men and women of all ages bathing and washing in the river naked. Of course,it was something new to us.

Bromo's view is fantastic. Overall, it was a fun trip and definitely memorable.

If you need any info, kindly email me at elinagoh(at)gmail.com.

Jakarta, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Jakarta
reviews: 77
1. Re: Trip Report 3D2N

Hi Elina Goh, thanks for dropping your trip report. Glad you enjoyed the trip.

However, you might want to keep your story tone to be neutral. Summarizing that Indonesia is a poor country only because you see village people's lifestyle which were doing their activities at the riverbank (6th paragraph, 3rd sentence) can be offended to some people.

If you went to ulu place in the East Coast or maybe a trip to Rejang river, you might see something similar. Does that make your country a poor country?

Jakarta, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Malang, Yogyakarta
reviews: 53
2. Re: Trip Report 3D2N

It's like saying that all Indonesian (including me) are poor and bathing in riverbanks, LOL.

Java, Indonesia
reviews: 4
3. Re: Trip Report 3D2N

Glad you had a good time. Bromo is spectacular.

Cirque and Radjaff are right though.

Probably results from Elin's primary interactions with Indonesians only as maids or construction workers.

I am sure she meant no offence.

Jakarta, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Malang, Yogyakarta
reviews: 53
4. Re: Trip Report 3D2N

Sure, no offense taken. I'm glad that she had a good time, Bromo never failed anybody. Just that she should read the definition of developing country and poor country.

Kuala Lumpur...
5. Re: Trip Report 3D2N

Hi Elina and the rest.

Nice read of your trip to Surabaya - Bromo - Malang .

I am planning one this school holiday weekend.

Planning 5 days 4 nights holiday.

Day 1 will be Surabaya and Madura Island. Staying at Hotel Tunjungan Surabaya.

Day 2 - trip down to Bromo through Sidoarjo - Probolinggo - Cemoro Lawang for the night stay before next day Bromo climb.

Day 3 - sun rise Bromo and spend 1/2 day around Bromo - Penanjakan mountains. Evening moves to Malang. Staying at Armijn Guest House, Malang.

Day 4 - One whole day at Malang - Batu area. Evening moves back to Surabaya.

Day 5 - more of Surabaya until my flight back to KL.

Can you recommend places not to miss etc.

Can I hv your transport / tour guide operator contact.

How much was the price quoted.

Really appreciate it.

Melaka, Malaysia
reviews: 20
6. Re: Trip Report 3D2N

I apologized for generalizing a statement of Indonesia being poor.

Have no intention to put anyone down as it was just a quick report after the trip and have not came back to this forum after the posting.

Please kindly accept my apology.

We paid USD 130 per person as there were 7 of us.

And the tour agency we used was Travindo Adventure.

Email add: travindoadventure@yahoo.com

I sure missed being in Bromo and my friends and I are still talking about our adventure and planning to go Jogjakarta perhaps next year.

yogyakarta
7. Re: Trip Report 3D2N

much better using "traditional life" or something more polite then a "poor" words..

but still a lot's of homeless and more suffering people around the globe.

i just like to say that this is a travel forum...

Malaysiana
reviews: 2
8. Re: Trip Report 3D2N

Yup correct dont use the word poor because is negative/demoralising word. Indonesia is among the Emerging market with highly positive capital in flow. Regards

9. Re: Trip Report 3D2N

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:29 am, April 16, 2011