We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

please help this clueless girl!

Which Surabaya hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Jakarta, Indonesia
reviews: 29
please help this clueless girl!

Hello,

I went to Surabaya for business the other day, and I like what I saw. I am planning to visit the city again, along with other places in East Java and take my family with me !

Basically, there'll be my parents (over 60s but energetic and young at heart) and my sister and her kids (10 and below) may be joining us. I am reconsidering the route over and over again as I heard some destinations like Batu and Bromo can be crowded with Indonesian families during the weekends/holidays..

This is our planned itinerary

Wednesday 31 March

Surabaya: Meeting with a client at noon, and then House of Sampoerna, Masjid Ampel area, etc

Thursday 1 April

Surabaya: some business in the morning. and head to either:

Bromo / Kawah Ijen

(which is more suited for the elderly/kids and less crowded in the holidays??)

Visit attractions in the area:

Pelangi Waterfall, Pura Poten, Savanna edelweis near Bromo..

what attractions near Kawah Ijen?

Friday 2 April

Bromo sunrise tour or

What to do near Kawah Ijen?

Saturday 3 April

Malang: Ijen Boulevard, Purwodadi Botanical Gardens, Singosari Temple (?)

Malang night market

Sunday 4 April

I don't know where to go before we head back to Surabaya for the flight home.

I'd appreciate any comments on our itinerary. Sorry if it looks rather clueless.. the more I look on the internet on interesting places to see, the more choices I have to make it's just become too confusing.

Also, would greatly appreciate if you guys could advise restaurants/warungs that serve typhical local food.

Thanks!!

Edited: 11:39 am, March 24, 2010
Jakarta, Indonesia
reviews: 29
11. Re: please help this clueless girl!

Hi Theo,

As I have written on a PM, we did manage to visit Bromo! Couldnt find the so-called edelweis, but we saw many native adas flowers and what the locals claim as lavenders (ok, not really lavenders but the same purplish colour lol) in the savanna.. I think it was near the caldera and the sandy ''desert''. I can't remember precisely as we took a guided 4WD tour with a driver.

Bromo was amazingly beautiful, and so were the nearby villages and traditional vegetable gardens. I was throughly dissapointed in Batu though, very boring, not much different from Puncak.. we didn't have enough time to venture to Lalijiwo and or Pulau Sempu, which I am sure would have been wonderful.

Jakarta, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Malang, Yogyakarta
reviews: 53
12. Re: please help this clueless girl!

That's too bad, the best part of Batu is the one that you didn't visit :) It's very true that the city itself is more or less like Puncak. To explore the best part of Batu, you should go to the off the beaten one.

13. Re: please help this clueless girl!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:23 am, October 19, 2010