We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What are the mozzies like in Ubud at the moment

Which Ubud hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane, Australia
reviews: 24
What are the mozzies like in Ubud at the moment

Hi all,

Two days to go !!!!

Can you tell me how bad the mozzies are around Ubud at the moment,we are staying near Bintang Shopping Centre, should we bring a good quality repellent with us or is it readily available in Ubud.

Also, can we buy Aussie wines in Ubud, at a reasonable price?

Thanks

Hepburn Springs...
reviews: 43
1. Re: What are the mozzies like in Ubud at the moment

No to Aussie wines at reasonable prices, try the local ones, not too bad

Brisbane, Australia
reviews: 35
2. Re: What are the mozzies like in Ubud at the moment

There were a few mozzies around when we were there a couple of weeks ago. Just like at home in Brissie. Just bring the tropical strength aerogard from home. Works just fine.

Andy

Beachmere, Australia
Destination Expert
for Ubud
reviews: 108
3. Re: What are the mozzies like in Ubud at the moment

There aren't swarms of mozzies - but they are around. We find the local Soffel is an effective deterrent, but the bottle does tend to leak. And, of course, it only works if you remember to apply it!

Now to the important topic - Wine! Bintang supermarket now has a small room dedicated to alcohol. They sell many more varieties than previously and I have found the Two Islands brand of wine to be quite drinkable at under 200,000 rupiah per bottle. It is made from the finest South Australian grapes vinified in Bali. The Artisan brand is also worth sampling and has some Australian input (but I don't happen to have a bottle handy that I can verify details, unlike the Two Islands!)

perth
reviews: 11
4. Re: What are the mozzies like in Ubud at the moment

We use deet spray in Bali otherwise our youngest gets eaten alive! Soffel just doesn't cut it for us, but maybe if you are not a mozzie magnet it will work ok. We also buy coils there. Having said that, we never find mozzies bad in Ubud, I think the ducks, birds and frogs keep them under control.

I agree with Jan on the Two Islands wine, not amazing, but quite drinkable.

Have a great time!!

Ubud, Indonesia
reviews: 37
5. Re: What are the mozzies like in Ubud at the moment

THe rainy season is ending now and mossies are, as andreaperth said, not a big issue here particularly in sawah (ricefield) areas. Having said that, dengue mosses are always a risk in built up areas.. because they like growing in dark puddly places like old cans. So it's daytime/dusk prevention you really need to be focused on.

Ubud, Indonesia
reviews: 10
6. Re: What are the mozzies like in Ubud at the moment

While the locals will tell you that there are not any mosquitoes around just now - let me assure you they are. I am one of the unfortunates who attract the wretches. I find Soffel cream, not the spray, very affective and this is readily available in a number of shops in Ubud though the best price is found at the big supermarkets such as Bintang and Delta. The coils work but of course are of no use when you are out and about. The wall plug things work also though I am a bit suspicious of them as a health hazard to me as well as the mosquitoes.

Australian wines are available here and they are expensive.

Melbourne
reviews: 15
7. Re: What are the mozzies like in Ubud at the moment

Cheap Aussie wines available at very expensive prices. I have brought two bottles with me the maximum amount I could bring in. The local beer is cheap, but if you don't like beer (me) drinking in Bali is very expensive.

Sydney
reviews: 48
8. Re: What are the mozzies like in Ubud at the moment

You can get mozzie repellant just about anywhere. Both Bintang and Coco supermarkets have both the lotion and the spray(I prefer the spray because you don't get it on your hands.) Mozzies aren't so bad at the moment but if you are prone to being bitten(me) I'd use a repellant. You can also buy cute little bottles that you can keep in your purse.

As for wines, forget the overpriced cheap Australian wines and go for Argentinian, Spanish or Californian. They're relatively inexpensive at restaurants (around $45 - $60). And since I was here a year ago the choices have great,y improved. Avoid the local Bali wine (unless you're a cask wine kind of person).

They also make great martinis in ubud and usually only around $8.

Adelaide, Australia
reviews: 29
9. Re: What are the mozzies like in Ubud at the moment

we stayed at champlung sari (next to monkey forest) 2 weeks ago and I thought there were A LOT of mozzies around.. definately apply the mozzie repellent..

Brisbane, Australia
reviews: 24
10. Re: What are the mozzies like in Ubud at the moment

Thanks to all,

We have had very few mosses here at Beji Ubud Resort.

The holiday has been fantastic and sadly we leave tomorrow, I am looking forward to sitting down and reviewing all of the activities that we have experienced.

Bitten by two monkeys (at the same time) whilst following the advice of our guide, along with a minor episode of Bali belly has not taken away from the experience, all nine of us agree the week seems like a fortnight, great time had by all.