We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

insect phobia

Which Ubud hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
reviews: 1
insect phobia

I have an intense fear of beetles, crickets large spiders etc., I also would not like to share a room with a gecko. Mosquitos love me. I would really like to go to Bali. I have a friend who goes to Ubud and says she has nover had a problem all she has seen have been a few ants, and she stays in places for $15.00 per night. What do yoou advise? I see on here some horror stories and don't know what my best option is

Surfers Paradise...
reviews: 12
1. Re: insect phobia

Sorry to say but I have been to Bali upwards for 16 times over the years and have stayed in all types of hotels all the way up to 5 star and unlike your friend I have both seen and heard gecko in every one of them ... but then I love gecko as they are beautiful little harmless creatures that have a very important job of eating the mosquitoes and other insects. I can't say I have seen to many spiders. If you really want to go to Bali then consider taking a course to get over this phobia many zoos offer them to help people come to terms with this situation.

Toronto, Canada
2. Re: insect phobia

Thank you so much for your reply - some people find it trivial so its a joy to find an understanding person. A couple of other things what about other insects in the rooms. I can probably deal with geckos because lizard don't bother me unless they are large I don't know how big a gecko can get. The other thing - Have you been there recently, I hear there is major construction going on just about everywhere, Tegal Sari wrote to me an explained construction was taking place beside their place and started at 6am.

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 23
3. Re: insect phobia

Have only seen a few large spiders in Bali. Nothing like at home where I am regularly helping Huntsmans out of the house and dodging Orb Weaver spiders. carofire's idea is really good as you wont get away from Gecko's. Beautiful little creatures and they are everywhere.

Toronto, Canada
4. Re: insect phobia

Hi Urban jungle - How big do the Geckos grow?

Toronto, Canada
5. Re: insect phobia

Thank you so much for your reply - some people find it trivial so its a joy to find an understanding person. A couple of other things what about other insects in the rooms. I can probably deal with geckos because lizard don't bother me unless they are large I don't know how big a gecko can get. The other thing - Have you been there recently, I hear there is major construction going on just about everywhere, Tegal Sari wrote to me an explained construction was taking place beside their place and started at 6am.

Toronto, Canada
6. Re: insect phobia

Silly me posted instead of replying.

Anyway thank you for your reply Urban hungle. How big do the Geckos grow.

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 23
7. Re: insect phobia

Most of them are really small say the size of your finger. The ones that actually make the sound Gecko grow to about 12 inches long. Hard to find as they are not like the little ones which scamper her and there.

I am sure when someones shows you a big Gecko you will fall in love with them. They are beautiful and which is really good for non bug lovers they move about slowly. Also a big plus for you is they eat bugs :).

…mongabay.com/indonesia/images/bali_0009.html

Toronto, Canada
8. Re: insect phobia

Thank you Urban jungle. We saw little lizards in Cuba, probably quite similar. They were really cute. A friend of mine had a chamelian which was also interesting - especially if it was irritable. Yes my real fear is of beetles and insetcts that fly or run fast.

the Kimberley, West...
9. Re: insect phobia

There are all sorts of insects, most of them moving quickly in Bali. You will also see rats. If you really have a phobia the tropics are probably not the holiday destination for you. Where there are geckos there are insects; otherwise tthe geckos would starve.

Toronto, Canada
10. Re: insect phobia

Thx Chickchilli. As long as they are not in my room or too intrusive I will be O.K. Maybe the Geckos will keep them out of the room.???