We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Resort staff tipping

Which Ubud hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 37
Resort staff tipping

Can anyone help us with how much to tip our butler and resort staff at the end of our stay in Ubud. Thanks.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
reviews: 576
1. Re: Resort staff tipping

It depends on the level of service. Everyone has their own way of tipping... i usually just slip some cash into the butlers hand otherwise they may never get it. How much.. usually depends on how happy I am with them...

Louisville, Kentucky
reviews: 4
2. Re: Resort staff tipping

I agree with Ellemay, it really depends on services they provide us. If they have butler service who prepare you everything from arrival to departure then you should give them maybe 10% of room rates. But I just tip as service goes, if they do good job then you tip them as appreciation.

Cheers,

Mini M

Gold Coast
reviews: 33
3. Re: Resort staff tipping

Sort of agree with the other comments.

Would you tip the staff of a resort on the Sunshine Coast as an example?

the Kimberley, West...
reviews: 1
4. Re: Resort staff tipping

I don't think tipping is necessary but, in some hotels, I tip the housekeepers early and reasonably generously as, IME, this buys good service and even the occasional 'extra' in accommodations where the staff can be a bit slack. Similarly there are some places where I tip the security early on to ensure they are available if I have anything that needs sorting out ;)

Perth
reviews: 7
5. Re: Resort staff tipping

I asked at one of the bigger resorts how tips were managed, and they told me that the custom at their hotel, and at most of the resorts and hotels, is that all tips are handed in and then at the end of the month it is divided equally among all the staff. That way those behind the scenes who work just as hard don't miss out. A couple of the other staff also said that is what happens and everyone hands their tips in (my husband had given them tips and after saying thank you they told him this is what they do)

Seems pretty fair to me if it actually does happen as they say.

I always tip for good service regardless of what country I am in (yes even at home) and the amount depends on how much I have paid for the service, food etc.

Last time at that resort we left $100 to go in the tip jar.

Broome, Australia
Destination Expert
for Broome
reviews: 41
6. Re: Resort staff tipping

Likewise Westaus. There are so many people behind the scenes who never get to see the tips, if handed over to those who you see each day.

When we leave some money for the staff, I am hoping that gardeners, handymen/women, kitchen staff etc, get a share.

I really like and hope that when we leave money to say 'thankyou', to all at the hotel/resort, it is shared equally between them.

Australia
reviews: 2
7. Re: Resort staff tipping

Good idea Chickchili about tipping early,this way you may receive better service on you stay.

Hepburn Springs...
reviews: 42
8. Re: Resort staff tipping

This holiday I have opted for much more expensive accom so won't have a lot of cash to tip . Have bought soaps and gifts for children, hoping to give these to staff as thankyous , though probably they will prefer money. Giving small. Money tips is perhaps insulting, not sure , eg 100,000 A $10 tip , at the end of a stay of a few days , would that sound ok, what do others think ?

Sydney
Destination Expert
for Seminyak, Bali, Canggu, Kerobokan
reviews: 154
9. Re: Resort staff tipping

Hi Hepsprings

Yes, hotel, villa and wait staff do prefer money to gifts, money is not insulting as it is what they need most. If 100,000 is the amount you can afford, then that's great after a few days. If your stay was longer I would tip more, personally. Tipping is always a contentious subject on any forum so I don't want to get into a debate here. I am probably accused of being over generous but that's what I prefer to do :). It's a personal decision.

Cheers

Perth, Australia
reviews: 34
10. Re: Resort staff tipping

After out stay in 2 different hotels over the last couple of weeks, I am not sure I would like it going in a jar to divide. First hotel, One of the girls at the front desk didn't understand english properly which was annoying but ok, but then she lied to her supervisor about telling us we agreed to pay extra money.

At the other one if we had to ask the reception something we would have to wait for the females were busy because they were quite rude all the time and really unhelpful where as the 2 males were great.

On the other hand, the 5 people we tipped were marvelous and I am just going to keep telling myself they got to keep the money!!!