We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hawkers, compared to Legian Beach and Ubud

Which Sanur hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London
reviews: 22
Hawkers, compared to Legian Beach and Ubud

Love Ubud, hawkers not a problem for us. Loved Jimbaran, no hawkers. In Legian they ruined our beach experience to the point we cut our holiday short by a week. Can you walk on the promenade without being followed/chased? We also like walking along the waters edge discussing where to eat that evening; is this possible in Sanur, in Legian not possible without a constant companion.

Leeds, UK
Destination Expert
for Bali
reviews: 50
21. Re: Hawkers, compared to Legian Beach and Ubud

PLtt, you're right, it's how you handle yourself and you can apply the eye contact thing anywhere in the world.

I must say that I didn't find Lovina that bad - LOL! Maybe it's me. But the hassle I got from the beach sellers (while with Mrs Noodles you understand) in Lovina was as follows:

"You want to buy sarong?"

"No thank you"

"You want to buy another dress?"

"No thank you"

".......maybe tomorrow?"

"No thank you".

Even while sitting in the Sea Breeze cafe, the sellers just lurked on the beach path, holding up various sarongs and Balinese calendars, nothing too bad.

Just this one time, as a one off, I'll agree with Whinnie. Everyone is different.

perth
reviews: 135
22. Re: Hawkers, compared to Legian Beach and Ubud

i find the sellers around the sanur markets alot worse than legian,but come on, why is no one mentioning the ones at kintamani??? they are a nightmare.

i find ignoring the sellers and not ackowledging their presence works fine. i dont need them interupting my holiday.

perth
reviews: 135
23. Re: Hawkers, compared to Legian Beach and Ubud

whoops forgot the n. cant spell today

Leeds, UK
Destination Expert
for Bali
reviews: 50
24. Re: Hawkers, compared to Legian Beach and Ubud

I find the sellers upstairs in Ubud market to be the worst I've come across bosslady. If you've ever seen a zombie movie, where the zombies surround their victims, arms outstretched, and the victim eventually disappears under a sea of hungry zombies. That's exactly what it's like (apart from them not moaning "Brains").

Brisbane
reviews: 11
25. Re: Hawkers, compared to Legian Beach and Ubud

As some here have noted, the experience of hawking is only relativeto your reaction. I would consider myself a Bali veteran, which is in stark contrats to my lack of tan and black T shirt collection. I find however that the same person trying to hawk you things you don't need is the same person that with a little effort will become a friendly local.

Case in point; my wife is not as experienced travelling the planet as I am, and I like to let her baragin and peruse the odd stall by herself while I people watch from the entrance to a shop/stall. This of course makes me a target for locals, peddling anything from Knock off Sunnies to poorly copied perfume.

Being a collector of "ink". i find I am often the target for peddlers offering me "ephedrine". I always find it funny and tell them I don't have a cold (wink wink). Standing tall and making string eye contact with a firm no thanks is all it takes to move them on. The last guy that asked struck up a conversation, and the conversation went from "do you want weed" to the bloke proudly showing me photos of his children on his mobile phone. He turned out to be a lovely bloke. He even gave us a small gift (FREE of charge) to take back to my daughter in Australia; some nice coconut Bali lollies.

Another time we watched as an older lady tried to get people to come in for a massage. At face value, she looked like any other hawker, but when we struck up a conversation we realised she was a lovely old duck who was struggling to get any business because she was stuck upstairs without a direct entrance, between a sneaker shop and a T shirt place- so tourists were trying to get past the hawkers as quick as they could.

My point to this waffling is that not every hawker is selling you something you dont need, and not every hawker is willing to make your day a miserable one- but they ALL just want to make a living. When we find a good seller, we frequent their stall almost daily- whether we are buying t shirts or sunnies or Bintang. This is our way of teaching locals that they have a much higher strike rate if they play it cool. If we all played the game this way then in years to come perhaps the scene won't be so enthusiastic.

Don't let a hawker spoil a single minute of your time in Bali. Smile, say no thank you and move on, and if they don't get it, most Balinese will disappear if you turn around, give a firm NO puff your chest out and roll out.

Queensland
reviews: 2
26. Re: Hawkers, compared to Legian Beach and Ubud

We have just returned from Sanur - yes, the hawkers got the better of me. Most of them did accept a 'no thank you' but there were the odd few (right near our hotel) that became quite abrupt.

I found the worst hawkers were the ladies near the Besakih Temple - they made you feel down right guilty.

Ubud markets - yes, they too are pushy and don't take no.

Unfortunately, just saying no doesn't mean they will leave you alone. I enjoyed the pleasure of shopping at Ketut's in Garllic Lane - no pushing, set prices and good value.

My brother in law is a fantastic barterer - if they get too pushy he just lowers his offer. They are often shocked by this but it seems to work.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Bali
reviews: 69
27. Re: Hawkers, compared to Legian Beach and Ubud

KIntamani, upstars at Ubud markets and the Tegellalang rice terraces..............................all very, very aggressive. A lot of people also say Git Git Waterfall as well, but we had a ball here, the vendors were so playful and had such a good sense of humour, we spent a small fortune with them.

Perth
Destination Expert
for Kuta, Lovina Beach, Singaraja, Baturiti, Bali
reviews: 65
28. Re: Hawkers, compared to Legian Beach and Ubud

ahhhhhhhh I had almost forgotten how bad the ones were at Tegallalang rice terraces.

Oh My, they would probably be in the running for the worst I think.

I don;t know if I should thank you for reminding me whinnie hahaha.

29. Re: Hawkers, compared to Legian Beach and Ubud

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:37 am, May 02, 2011