We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Summer 2009

Which Sanur hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Preston, United...
Destination Expert
for Preston
reviews: 39
Summer 2009

I hope this will be well received, I thought it might be a great place to collate the myriad posts about best things in Bali etc. If you have been, are going, or when you get back it would be great to hear from you with tales, advise, anything in facts!!

Cheers

Bill

Leeds, UK
Destination Expert
for Bali
reviews: 50
1. Re: Summer 2009

Have I been to Bali - yes, and I love it!

Am I going to Bali - yes, twice this year when we get into the dry season.

Best thing about Bali - without a doubt the friendliness, warmth and humour of the Balinese. Seeing them smile broadly as you try out your stumbling Bahasa Indonesian on them. Also the gamelan soundtrack that seems to accompany you everywhere, from the airport to breakfast at your hotel.

Advice - don't get flustered or angry when you're surrounded by sellers in a market. Just be polite, smile, and say no if you don't want to buy from them.

Colchester
reviews: 2
2. Re: Summer 2009

Sound advice happynoodleboy!! just say no thanks and they leave you alone.

Cant agree more about the friendliness, the most friendly, happy and gratefull people I have ever had the pleasure to meet!! cant wait to go back again!!

Leeds, UK
Destination Expert
for Bali
reviews: 50
3. Re: Summer 2009

How about you Daveyboy - best thing in Bali, advice etc?

Preston, United...
Destination Expert
for Preston
4. Re: Summer 2009

Just to add, if people would like to post the date/destination of their journey maybe a few could meet up?

I'll start;

7-10.8 Sanur-Puri Santrian

10-11.08 Ubud - Ulun Ubud

11-17.8- Sanur - Puri Santrian

Hope to see you there

Bill

St. Louis, MO
5. Re: Summer 2009

I would first like to start off by thanking everyone for their valuable questions and answers, especially Noodleboy, ilab and battling. My husband and I have had Bali on our "wish list" for years and we are finally going!

We leave June 20 and arrive in Bali on June 22. Not including layovers it is about 24 hours of flying time. (Cannot forget to pack the sleeping pills)

Here is our itinerary:

June 22-25 - Ubud

June 25 - July 1 - Seminyak

We end with 4 days in Hong Kong before flying back to the States.

Cannot wait to get there. The countdown to leaving has begun. Will do a trip report once we return home.

Thanks again.

Preston, United...
Destination Expert
for Preston
6. Re: Summer 2009

Cheers Stinky (?), so who else out there is going or would like to share that golden bit of advice?

Sydney
Destination Expert
for Seminyak, Bali, Canggu, Kerobokan
reviews: 167
7. Re: Summer 2009

Hi

I think that , in addition to the comments above one of the things I love about Bali is its culture - it is, on the surface, quite simple, but underneath it is a very complicated and rigid society and there is always something new to learn - it is absolutely fascinating. The great thing about the Balinese is that they are more than happy for us to share their ceremonies etc providing we show the necessary respect.

The serious thing now - The food!!!! The restaurants are absolutely world standard, whether they be cheap or expensive (by Bali standards) - I find it quite difficult to have a bad meal which is not the case in a lot of other destinations.

Terrigal, Australia
Destination Expert
for Bali
reviews: 90
8. Re: Summer 2009

my advice:

go to bali and have a good time. there are lots of fun things to do - snorkel, trek, water raft, surf,visit sites, canoe, get a blessing, etc. they are advertised everywhere.

stay around the island in different places - talk to everyone locals and other tourists. dont saty just go air con pool go cheaper and meet different people.

get into the culture. it is the 'real' bali whether you are in legian sitting on the beach surrounded by sellers or trekking the isolated coastline of west bali or watching the goins-on at the ubud morning markets or being invited into a local home.

perth
reviews: 11
9. Re: Summer 2009

I love the heat that hits you as soon as you walk out of the airport.

I love the beautiful, happy, smiling people who are so easy to become friends with while haggling over a watch!

I love the contrast between the crazy streets of Kuta, black sand beaches, the lush jungle, volcanoes and rice paddy fields.

I love the slow pace, everyone going about their business slowly. We call it Bali time.

I love that I can eat mie goreng, satay and nasi goreng every day if I want!

What's not to love!! x

london
10. Re: Summer 2009

Myself, my husband & 2 daughters in their early 20's are visiting Bali for the first time in july/aug. We are staying in Sanur at the Ari Putri hotel which had a few good reviews on trip advisor. We are all so excited & we can't thank everyone enough for all the great info on the Sanur forum site. Does anyone know much about the hotel?? The price suited our budget but we hope we made the right decision.

thanks, Sue.