We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Culture Shock

Which Sanur hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Perth
reviews: 7
Culture Shock

Hi Everyone:-)

Firstly, thankyou to all who contribute to this forum - I am going to Bali with the husband and kids for the first time in 3 weeks, and have gleaned so much information lurking about in here!

Um, I guess I dont have a specific question - was just wondering today, what my first impressions of Bali will be once I actually get there? I can barely contain my excitement, but I think I am in for a bit of a shock.

Does anyone mind sharing some memories of you first time in Bali? What really surprised you? What really shocked you? Just curious.:-)

Kristie

Leeds, UK
Destination Expert
for Bali
reviews: 50
21. Re: Culture Shock

I'll PM you about the Greek toilets, it's not a subject for public discussion unless you have a strong stomach.

buckinghamshire
reviews: 11
22. Re: Culture Shock

Spent 4 years living on various Greek Islands, and never got used to the toilets either. But hey, small price to pay.

Perth
23. Re: Culture Shock

I'd forgotten about the toilets in Greece...*shudders* probably repressed those memories lol

Thanks Battling, we certainly wont go with any expectations, especially with hot tired kids in tow. I think the almost 4 year old will notice that Bali is 'different' shes the type of child who will sit back and watch and ask millions of questions. The younger one, well she's just ferel,oops I mean um 'spirited' she will go crazy for the animals. I do expect there will be days where we just hang out at our accomadation and potter around...I'm kind of looking forward to those days actually!

I got my husband to read this thread and he was chuckling away...making sure we're on the same page re expectations I think will help us keep our cool under pressure...I hope!

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Bali
reviews: 62
24. Re: Culture Shock

As with everyone, my first impressions were the same, chaos, heat, traffic then the wonderful people.

I just wanted to add that my love affair with the place didn't actually start until after we had returned home that 1st time. Don't get me wrong, we had a wonderful holiday, but the obsession didn't kick in until we got home and I had time to process all we had seen and done. We crammed so much into the 6 days that we had, I think my mind was just a blur. Now my entire life is just periods of time between Bali trips.

And just as others have said, the rubbish, dogs, broken footpaths etc become so that they are just part of Bali. You do get so that you just don't see all that anymore, you are too busy taking in the wonderful people and experiences.

My best advice is to just let yourself get into "Bali Time" as quickly as possible. It used to take us a day or two but now I feel the relaxation overcome me the minute I step off the plane.

Mandurah, Australia
reviews: 33
25. Re: Culture Shock

I agree with Whinnie about Bali time, most holidays you take, it takes you the first week to unwind and let go of the pressures and then it is time to go home. With Bali i feel myelf switching off once i get through Perth Airport customs - by the time we hit the tarmac in Bali i am totally relaxed and then it just gets better.

When are you going to be in Bali?

redned

Darwin, Australia
26. Re: Culture Shock

What surprised us?

1) How many people you can fit on one of those little motor bikes! We had a competition within our group to see who could snap the most on one bike.

2) How close they can drive by each other. Who needs road rules?

Despite the wacky traffic you see very few accidents. It's all part of the amazing experience! Have fun!

Perth
27. Re: Culture Shock

Going on 23rd April, home on 7th May Redned. 18 days to go...not counting though. Much:-)

Preston, United...
Destination Expert
for Preston
reviews: 39
28. Re: Culture Shock

Hi Kristabelle,

I'm intrigued, now that you have been will you share your experiences and first impressions?

Bill

Perth
29. Re: Culture Shock

Hi Bill,I'm SO going to post a JBR, the madness in this household has settled down to a dull roar so any day now...god post holiday-itis has been a real killer!

I can tell you that my first experience in Bali was losing one of our suitcases...the one with ALL the clothes in it BUT - it was delivered to the door of my hotel room at 7.30am the following morning and that would have to be my first real impression of Bali - people tripping over themselves to help me. Mind you, trudging up to the lost and found counter at 11pm with 2 VERY tired small children elicits a fair amount of pity methinks lol

Be back soon,

Kristie

Preston, United...
Destination Expert
for Preston
reviews: 39
30. Re: Culture Shock

No way!! We will be taking our first family holiday next summer with a 10 y/o and a boisterous (!!!!!) 2 y/o to Italy or maybe Greece, so I may well be on to you for tips for children!!

look forward to the JBR!

Bill