We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

safety in bali

Which Nusa Dua hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bournemouth
reviews: 6
safety in bali

we are going to bali at the end of may but are becoming concerned by reports in the press about locals being told to attack tourists to drive them away from bali does anyone have an opinion on this

perth
1. Re: safety in bali

check out the post from earlier today "bashir's comments"

Bournemouth
reviews: 6
2. Re: safety in bali

cant find bashirs comments on forum

Leeds, UK
Destination Expert
for Bali
reviews: 50
3. Re: safety in bali

Carole, see here:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294226-i7220-k183…

Cheshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Bali, Amed
reviews: 2
4. Re: safety in bali

Hi,

From what I've read here on the forum the comments by Bashir were actually made months ago. Locals have had a tough time since the Bali bombings, tourism is only just picking up, local people were horrified by the bombings just as we were & the balinese people that I know are kind, friendly & welcome tourists. I am not worried, would not cancel my trip but would maybe think twice before visiting a popular nightclub

Ursie

worcester
reviews: 7
5. Re: safety in bali

We went to Bali (Sanur) just before the last two bombings and loved the place. To be caught up in an incident is such a remote chance I would never alter my plans to allow these incidents to allow for potential trouble. Diont forger we were all in simialr circumstances from the Irsih situation yeras ago and its no differet to what is happeenig all around the world.

Enjoy your holiday but Bali is not as clean as you would expect away from the main tourist centers.

Brisbane, Australia
reviews: 1
6. Re: safety in bali

We have just returned a week ago and never once did we feel unsafe. We were there for the second bombing and have returned twice since with our young boys and have always felt safe. It is a personal thing though so if you feel that you will be on edge the whole time you will be there and not enjoy your holiday then maybe you should reconsider. The balinese are beautiful people that will make you feel very welcome.

Colesy

Perth
reviews: 8
7. Re: safety in bali

Just got back last week and never had a problem. I have never ever had a problem in Bali and have never felt unsafe. I quite often wander the streets on my own, day and night, and never feel the slightest bit worried.

Perth West Australia
reviews: 1
8. Re: safety in bali

Carole,

this is a subject that regularly comes up about bali - safety. And government warnings - blah, blah..

My wife and and I were sitting 'discussing' it, again, only last night - and Bali is not even on our list for some time - yet (though we were both there, in separate groups, in March). And for a change, we agree upon something.

Firstly, I would feel 'very bad' if I 'convinced' someone to go to Bali and 'something' happened, so don't go if you feel 'scared about safety'.

we, like most vistors, always act sensibly, never cause or incite trouble, and try to treat everyone with the same level of respect that we would like shown to us, at least until a person shows that they do not deserve such.

The security issue in bali, and other places in Java as well, has become much tighter than years gone by, even if sutble, vehicles and visitors are paid far more attention, hotels run a check over every vehicle, from a mere cursory glance to a full inspection - in Jakarta, we had security, in full kit with BIG rifles stop every vehicle, inspect even in the engine, not just boot and interior. Bali is not to that level, and hopefully never will be.

Still you cannot stop a single 'crazy' anywhere - here or there.

But personal security in Bali is always a conscious and visible thing, if you look - every club, niteclub, bar - has someone to 'check out' people, and they mainly concentrate upon Indonesians, which may not necessarily be a good thing. Cars can longer park without someone local checking it out. Just walk past Paddy's late at nite, or have a coffee at Maccaroni or Apache Club, and watch how there is always 'someone watching'. If any trouble happens, it is jumped upon very quickly.

I have young friends there at present, 3 families, with young kids - 2-9yrs of age, and they were 'concerned' abt safety before they went, but with only 4 days left of their holiday, they are now wishing they had booked for longer, and they have had not a slightest trouble or issue - with anyone. They have even had for one of the hotel staff/ receptionist baby-sit their 6 kids, whilst the adults 'went out on the town' - something they would never have considered before they went, and when they got home, the kids wanted them to go out again, they had such a great time.

London is far more dangerous, lots of people here (Perth) won't go to Northbridge (central bar/restaurant area) late at night as they know they risk getting mugged, or a 'one-hit' punch, and our shopping malls/centers have basic, if any, security.

IMO Bali is safer than Perth, but that doesn't mean that 'something' can't happen.

As for Bashir's comments - that was months ago, with him speaking to his 'believers', in Solo, central Java, which is his 'stronghold of supporters, and he is now always 'watched' by Indo police (why do you think we all know about it, or saw the video).

Even so, maybe surprisingly, Solo is a great place to visit, very pretty, clean, and everyone we met was extremely helpful and courteous, and interested in us and about our travels.

IMO, some people should stay home, as a holiday can be ruined by worry, others should go and 'test the waters' themselves and then spread the word, others 'know the truth' - most government warnings are 'insurance' so that their people can't complain, and otherwise mainly a political thing. Look who they issue warnings abt, and ask why not others - London, Spain, New York,Mexico,South America, the list goes on....

Personally, my daughter, son-in-law, and 1yr old gr/daughter are off on 17 May, staying at Melasti BR, then a short stay at a villa in Ullawatu, and I would never let them go if I had any concerns abt their possible safety. I know, if anything happens,be that injury, bali-belly, or whatever, they will contact my local friend/driver, and he will do everything possible to help them. And most Balinese are like that, they will do all they can to help.

We always feel that we are a 'better people' when we come back (maybe only a little, in my case) and personally closer to whoever we went with.

My biggest worry is them driving to the a/port here, with 'crazy' Perth drivers, than in Bali itself.

Go, wear a smile, have a great time, meet some lovely local people, learn some basic Bahasa and try to have a chat,relax, have a daily massage, eat, drink and be merry. You'll be happy you did.

It can be a great place.

Cheers

Mark

Perth
reviews: 8
9. Re: safety in bali

I have to agree with you about Northbridge. Wouldn't go near the place of an evening. One thing my daughter loved when we were over last was the freedom to walk the streets in the evening. BAli at night time is just wonderful. Is cool enough to just walk for miles and we would finish off the evening by grabbing an icecream at Macca's (yes I know) while wandering back to our hotel. It really is the best place. Do yourself a favour and visit and I am sure you won't be dissapointed.

10. Re: safety in bali

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:55 pm, May 09, 2008