We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rent a Car?

Which Kuta hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney
Rent a Car?

Hi , me and friend are going to Bali in the end of march and we would like to rent a car to get around. We are going for 1 week and want to get around. I read a lot of bad experiences with car rental on Bali. But i still would like to have the freedom to go where i want when i want.

We stay the first 2 nights in Kuta. And i have an international drivers license. So i would like some tips and if somebody knows a place to rent around kuta please let me know!

Thanks from a world traveler!

the Kimberley, West...
reviews: 1
1. Re: Rent a Car?

I use Gede from http://autobali.com/. His cars are well-priced, in good condition and his staff are very reliable with drop offs and pickups. And they will drop off and pick up from anywhere, anytime including the airport.

Edited: 9:54 pm, January 28, 2013
Sydney, Australia
reviews: 22
2. Re: Rent a Car?

Pointless getting a car whilst staying in Kuta as it is faster to walk. A scooter is a good option though as you can weave in and out traffic. We once used Kuta Car Rental and it was pretty good as we picked it up and dropped it off at the airport.

Wouldn't do it again though as for not much more you can have a driver on standby. Works out better as you can look around and relax. The traffic is pretty heavy so you really have to concentrate which I found tiring after a while. Since you are only hiring for a week you are only talking about saving $100 if that driving yourself.

Sydney
3. Re: Rent a Car?

The plan would be to rent a car in Kuta , leave Kuta and travel around the island and explore Bali this way. But if i would have a driver, he only can get you from one location to another. I have the feeling i would miss out on a lot. Please let me know if this is not the case. Thanks

the Kimberley, West...
4. Re: Rent a Car?

You will find self-drive a very polarising topic on this forum. Personally I love to self-drive as I get to go and see what I want, in my own time, without the responsibility of a driver. Many of the criticisms come from people who don't self-drive, feel safer using drivers and have developed relationships with drivers over multiple trips. Not everyone is the same.

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 22
5. Re: Rent a Car?

You can get a driver to do anything you want. Some do resist and want to take you to "their" best places ie where they get a commission but many don't. I suppose another good reason having a local to drive you around is they can advise you on things to see you may not have thought of. Wiether you take them up on it is up to you.

Sydney
Destination Expert
for Seminyak, Bali, Canggu, Kerobokan
reviews: 154
6. Re: Rent a Car?

Hi Wendy

Have you been to Bali before or is this your first trip?

Chickchili, I believe you have been many times to Bali so may feel quite happy driving here - I know I do but it took me quite a number of years before I did!

Cheers

the Kimberley, West...
7. Re: Rent a Car?

I drive in whatever country I visit regardless of it being my first time. I don't think it makes any difference and Indonesia, at least, drives on the same side of the road as I do at home, so its easier than many other countries.

Sydney
8. Re: Rent a Car?

I think i am definitely the self-drive kind of person. I did the same on my trips to Thailand, Croatia, Australia's Outback.

I have read that there is a big risk to be involved in a car accident and when this happens you can end up in Jail or pay up a lot of money. Can this be solved by taking on an etra insurance when you rent a car?

Sydney
9. Re: Rent a Car?

Hi Ilab, it will be my first time in Bali. But i love to be adventures!

I just want to be sure that i don't get ripped off and that i know what to do

if things don't go according to plan.

Forster, Australia
reviews: 2
10. Re: Rent a Car?

if you hire a car does it have insurance and is the insurance real