We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

shopping?? Has it changed?

Which Kuta hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney
reviews: 17
shopping?? Has it changed?

Hi the last time I was in Bali is 2004 just wandering if the shopping has changed much is there different items to buy? What are they selling these days?

thanks sheen

Sydney
Destination Expert
for Seminyak, Bali, Canggu, Kerobokan
reviews: 167
1. Re: shopping?? Has it changed?

Hi Sheen

The shopping is much the same as in 2004 but fashions change! I was in a shop about 1 year ago wearing sandals I had bought about 2 years previously. It was really funny as the shop owner said" You bought those sandals here!" "Yes, I did" I replied, to which he replied "Old style - about 2 years ago!" I was quite taken aback as I thought they were just the normal sort of beaded sandals that are always available. It put me in my place!

Having said that the shopping is much the same, there are more and more shops. In Seminyak there are a lot more upmarket clothes shops, especially in JL Laksmana (or eat street).

The huge French supermarket chain, Carrefour, opened in April I think and it is really worth having a look there - there are lots of bargains available. There are also other shops in the gallery apart from the supermarket.

I am not sure if Discovery Centre was open in 2004 but if it was and if you have already been there, you will find a lot more shops than when it opened. The 2 side galleries have opened and are almost full of shops. The shopping there is quite good.

Matahari in Kuta Square is just the same - great cheap sandals though and good menswear too.

It doesn't matter how many times I go to Bali I always return with a full suitcase and I checked my passport on the plane the other day and I have made 10 trips since June last year!

If you want to know more about shopping just ask me! I was born to shop! :-)

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 8
2. Re: shopping?? Has it changed?

I agree a lot of the same stuff although each year there are some different things also.

Remember when the dreamcatchers were everywhere? Then they had the tin ornaments that you put the tea candle in. One year it was small wind chimes. Last few years there are paschminas. I find the necklaces change a little bit each year too. Of course there is the same stick but someone thinks of new ideas. I'm always on the lookout for something new or the next craze. Sometimes you see things and don't bother then a few months later they are here and you wish you had bought them.

The surf clothes change a bit too.

I'm sure you will find lots to buy. I usually go 3-4 times a year and always manage to fill my bag.

Sanaa, Yemen
reviews: 43
3. Re: shopping?? Has it changed?

More shops have opened in Discovery Mall like Marks & Spencer, Dorithy Perkins, Top Shop, SOGO Etc...Also the New Carrefoure isnt bad.

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur, Macau, Hong Kong
4. Re: shopping?? Has it changed?

Hi, besides the usual beaded sandals, surf wears, home furnishings are centered on sculptured glass,and some real chic and cool designs for washbasin.

From my findings the Marks and Spencer store located at the basement of Discovery is priced higher than in KL, Singapore,and also Thailand,and even HK.

And clothing are from previous season.

Do have an inkling that most garments are from Bandung, where the FOS are, e.g. Edward Forrer shoes are from its factory from Bandung.

There is this shop- Bagus Watch(Kuta Square),selling really high end branded watch, but at fraction of prices of original timepieces.

Sydney
Destination Expert
5. Re: shopping?? Has it changed?

Bagus Watch is good and there is another one similar in the Carrefour shopping centre. I go there as I find the staff are much more friendly and I never have a problem if I return something even without the receipt - they just know it comes from their shop and are happy to exchange.

w.a.
6. Re: shopping?? Has it changed?

no i am quite sure i saw the same tshirt last month that was there in 1981 when i first went hanging up in kuta market. the outlets have changed and you can get a lot of different things if you hunt but just looking --- im sure its the same stuffl.lol

Sydney
Destination Expert
7. Re: shopping?? Has it changed?

Of course, in some places they have the same things they had years ago eg. the T-shirts printed with "Osama don't surf" and "Bintang" etc etc. Some things never change but at the Kuta and Melasti markets I don't think the stall holders are much interested in fashion :-)

Sydney Australia
8. Re: shopping?? Has it changed?

Hi there,

Is the ne Carrefour in the Centro shopping centre in Tuban. Im a bit confused between Centro and Discovery. Can you advice. Thanks

Sydney
Destination Expert
9. Re: shopping?? Has it changed?

No, the new Carrefour Commercial Centre is on Sunset Road on the right coming from the airport.

Sanaa, Yemen
reviews: 43
10. Re: shopping?? Has it changed?

Pashlili, Alot of people get confused between centro and discovery hehe...Centro is actually a department store that is in the second floor of Discovery mall... The mall consists of 4 levels if im not wrong and has a good range of high end stores like Nine West, CK, Guess, Espirit, Sogo, Top Shop and a few jewelery stores.