We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Four Seasons vs Ritz?

Which Jimbaran hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York
Four Seasons vs Ritz?

I'm planning my honeymoon and looking for the quintesential southeast asian luxury trip. As the Ritz looks great, it also seems very large and may cater to families- not the most intimate of settings. In addition, the rooms look to have a "western" look on the website.

I seem to be leaning toward the Four Seasons but some of the reviews mentions poor views of the airport and villas not being so "private" as others can easily peer in.

Any help in making this decision would be MUCH appreciated. If there's another beach hotel, other than these two- suggestions are welcome.

*planning on staying 5 nights at four seasons sayan to start our trip and looking for spend the last few nights at one of the beach resorts.

Australia
reviews: 4
1. Re: Four Seasons vs Ritz?

Hi. We spent 10days at the 4 Seasons about 4 years ago and loved it. It was a very quiet, intimate setting although even then the villas were starting to get a little shabby. Its true that some villas are rather exposed. but you can request some that are more private. In April we are spending a week at the Ritz - so depending on when your honeymoon is - I can always give you a comparison!

good luck.

New York
2. Re: Four Seasons vs Ritz?

Thank you! Honeymoon won't be until late '08. Comparisons after your trip in April would be excellent. Enjoy!

New York
3. Re: Four Seasons vs Ritz?

Thank you! Honeymoon won't be until late '08. Comparisons after your trip in April would be excellent. Enjoy!

bali
4. Re: Four Seasons vs Ritz?

Hi Iyosha,

Not sure you've heard of Amanusa. I haven't stayed there (stayed at Amankila and it was my BEST hotel experience) but went to see the villa when we had our dinner there. They have 30 villas, I think. All basically are the same. The only difference is the view and private pool. Apparently some villas don't have the private pool. But the room looks very nice. Quite modern without losing the Balinese touch here and there. They have an outdoor shower, large private pool (book the pool suite), the beach club is wonderful with white sand and bales. The main pool, which is located in the center of the resort is huge!! We had our dinner next to it. But what really special about Amanresorts I learn is the service. They told us that they have around 200 staffs for the 30 rooms they have. So imagine the kind of personal service you'd get. They're a bit pricey. I think more expensive than both Four Seasons and Ritz, but if service, privacy and beach is your main consideration, I would recommend this place..

Anyway, good luck with your honeymoon planning. Have fun! :)

Cheers,

DeZ

just outside NYC
reviews: 37
5. Re: Four Seasons vs Ritz?

We just stayed in Sayan -- what level of room are you booking? You cannot beat the river villas for privacy and for a honeymoon, I would imagine they would be your best choice. You look out from your room onto a deck around your own private plunge pool, outdoor living and dining, at the river and ravine going up the other side. The duplex suites in the main building are very nice, but for a honeymoon I would want the outdoor private space at the villas. It was our 19th wedding anniversary and the whole experience had me thinking about coming back for our 20th and having a ceremony there.

The Ritz at Jimbaran is a larger hotel complex than the 4Seasons. I just wrote a review of our stay there. The villas are all built along a Balinese village concept, with winding paths between them. They go up a hillside so some are more private than others and have better views. We met a couple who had started out at the 4S, then tried the Ritz and they came back to the 4S -- so that may tell you something. I think it will also really depend on things you can't control ie. who else is staying there when you are (mainly couples, a group of travellers or families), and how booked the resorts are. The 4Seasons is also refurbishing their villas on the south side this year, and I believe just did the ones we stayed in as there was nothing remotely shabby about the rooms/furnishings, etc.

The airport is across the bay from the 4 Seasons in Jimbaran, but the Ritz is just a bit further south on the same bay.

We had lunch at Amankila one day (out on the east coast of Bali and very isolated). I found it a bit austere for my taste -- I like the wrap around cocoon-like gardening concept and winding paths of the 4Seasons design over all the angles, planes and marble of Amankila. And the Aman Resorts are definitely more expensive.

Australia
reviews: 4
6. Re: Four Seasons vs Ritz?

Well. We've just got back from the Ritz and as promised I said I would give you my honest opinion. Which is;-

DEFINITELY choose the Ritz Carlton. It was much better overall. the villas were gorgeous & HUGE - much bigger than the 4S, the spa was infinitely superior and the the 90% of the restaurants at the Ritz were vastly superior to the 4S.

Having said all of that - there are afew noteworthy things:- The Ritz is a very big property. If you want an intimate feel, this is not the place. Especially not the hotel rooms as opposed to the villas.

The 4 Seasons certainly gets more stars for Service. There people do seem far better trained - especially in the little touches.

We did go back to the 4S for a visit, an inspection & a treatment. I would still recommend the Ritz Carlton. In fact, we are planning another trip there next year!

Also, the 4S was about 20% more expensive overall - especially their glasses of Champagne! very important on honeymoon!

Please let us know what you decide.

ps: The Ritz does fabulous weddings!!!

Cheers

Tokyo, Japan
reviews: 106
7. Re: Four Seasons vs Ritz?

I have also stayed at both and can say I prefer the 4S. I suppose the overall reason is the resort and villa design, with the plunge pools that each have a view of Jimbaran bay. The 4S also has a private beach at one end of the white sand Jimbaran beach which is a nice launch point for romantic walks. jogs, etc. No vendors here. Also, because of the way the hotel is built on the side of an ocean facing hill, every villa has a view. The airport is not an issue.

I'm 50-50 on the restaurants. PJ's at the 4S is one of my favorite Bali restaurants, due to its location on the beach and menu. Taman Wantilan serves fancy Indonesion fare, good but expensive. I just read somewhere that a new chef was appointed and the menus have all be updated.

The Ritz Carlton has a new villa annex thats fantasic, so if you stay at the RC stay there. Its a buggy ride away from the main hotel. There is also two of my favorite Bali venues located here - Dava and The Martini Club. Ritz Carlton is built on a cliff, so its a different layout that the four seasons.

If you are looking for pure indulgence, there is also The Bulgari, located further down the road in Uluwatu. More $$$ I think.

Overall, in my view, the Four Seasons sets the standard that other Bali hotels try to acheive. I don't think you can go wrong with either resort!

just outside NYC
reviews: 37
8. Re: Four Seasons vs Ritz?

We met the new chef at the 4S in January -- he's the one behind Six on the Beach and quite a few of their new offerings. Food was absolutely stunning.

As an aside, has anyone else gotten a personal message from the people at any of the Aman resorts after posting here? I found that a bit creepy to say the least.

9. Re: Four Seasons vs Ritz?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:18 pm, August 31, 2009