We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting during Ganga Mahotsav / November

Which Varanasi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Denver, CO
reviews: 27
Visiting during Ganga Mahotsav / November

I am a photographer traveling to Varanasi in November and hoping to get some portraits of the Sadhus and Aghori. With my November schedule I am not sure if I will be able to make the Ganga Mahotsav festival, and would have to arrive within days of it ending. Would this be a bad time to visit with many Sadhus that made the pilgrimage for the festival leaving Varanasi? or would it be better time to be there with less crowds and a more peaceful setting?

I am also a bit concerned that if I were able to make the festival that the crowds would make it difficult to find accommodation etc without some advanced planning.

any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

agra india
Destination Expert
for Agra, Jaipur, New Delhi
reviews: 7
1. Re: Visiting during Ganga Mahotsav / November

Varanasi is very holy city for Hindus and any time you go there you will find sadhus and aghori babas. If you plan to go during any festival better to book accomodation in advance.

deepak

New Delhi, Delhi...
reviews: 20
2. Re: Visiting during Ganga Mahotsav / November

As mentioned already..

U will find sadhus and aghoris all year round in Varanasi ..

Now ,

For accommodation I will recommend , to stay in one of the ghats instead of the city..

Way better and u'll get the real vibe of the place as well..

Assi ghat is a good option.. It's got cheap hotels and home stays as well .. And got some good hotels too..

Varanasi, India
reviews: 2
3. Re: Visiting during Ganga Mahotsav / November

Dear Friend

Ganga Mahotsav is the biggest festival of Varanasi. Millions of Pilgrim and thousand of photographer are waiting for this impotent festival. It is also knows as Dev Dipawali. It means dipawali of Godes.

I will would like give same impotent suggestion.

You also check this place..

Kedareswar Bed & Breakfast

4. Re: Visiting during Ganga Mahotsav / November

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, May 23, 2014