We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

urgent. heard all temples are closed 29,30sep,1stoct

Which Varanasi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco...
reviews: 24
urgent. heard all temples are closed 29,30sep,1stoct

someone local from varanasi tells me that there is curfew after dussera n i shud not go on these dates

is it true

Varanasi
reviews: 17
1. Re: urgent. heard all temples are closed 29,30sep,1stoct

what a weird thing to hear from someone local saying these things.I wonder why would someone say that.

Dear loverhodeisland,I am sure that someone is playing a naughty game.

I don't see anything going wrong over here and people are delighted and enjoying the upcoming festival'Dussehra".Obviously ,I don't know what will happen in future and I think that nobody knows what will happen tomorrow.

I think that you must visit Varanasi as like all the tourists over here.They all are enjoying their time over here and hope that you will also enjoy!!!

I wish you all the best .

Be brave and be prepared for your trip!

Stay blessed..............

San Francisco...
reviews: 24
2. Re: urgent. heard all temples are closed 29,30sep,1stoct

thanksso much. but is it true that all shops will remain closed on sep29 and 30 and all lanes will be restricted for traffic becuase of the durga immersion. i heard we cannot travel as on normaldays to visit temples.

Varanasi
3. Re: urgent. heard all temples are closed 29,30sep,1stoct

Well,there will be a huge crowd on the road full of childrens,youngones and olders on the 27,28th of september when everyone gathers to see the festival,but it won't totally finish on 28th,some of them clelebrate it for few more days .

Of course they will restrict the big vehicles such as cars,or truck etc on these days on the main popular roads of Varanasi like Dashashwamedh Road,Godowlia,Girza Ghar and few other roads around,but you can easily walk and see people dancing on the road and enjoying themselves.You will probabely enjoy it also.

Just be careful ,with few of them as some are really drunk and they can be rude and aggresive if you are not careful(mostly take care of your cameras and stuffs as it might break if you dance with them),just watch the festival from the corner of the road or somewhere from the top of the roof.

I would say that you must experience this great festival of India in Varanasi.

Enjoy...the festival!!

Cheers

Varanasi
4. Re: urgent. heard all temples are closed 29,30sep,1stoct

temples and alleyways are totally open ,no traffics and restriction(only a lot of people and that's it),but shops and government offices are closed such as Banks,Post Offices etc. until the 28th of september,they will get on to the work from the 29th of september again as like everyday.

5. Re: urgent. heard all temples are closed 29,30sep,1stoct

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, March 26, 2010