We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Delhi - Agra - Jaipur - bus, train or private car?

Which Agra hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Virginia
reviews: 34
Delhi - Agra - Jaipur - bus, train or private car?

I have 4-5 days free and wanted to do Delhi-Agra-Jaipur next weekend. I am travelling alone, and need some guidance on how best to get the most out of this last minute trip.

Planning to fly to Delhi on a Friday, hire a car & go around New Delhi. I can consider taking a late afternoon train to Agra so I can catch the sunrise at the Taj Mahal. Or alternatively, next day, take the Shatabdi train to Agra. Any ideas whether it is foggy around this time of the year at sunrise?

Then I want to head for Jaipur. What is the best way to do this? Is it easy to take the bus? or is hiring a car to Jaipur with stops to Fatehpur Sikri a better option? What would it cost me to hire a car to Jaipur?

How far is Jaipur from Delhi? Is it better for me to head back to Delhi to catch a flight to Chennai? Or should I just try to find a flight from Jaipur to Chennai?

Any help/advice would be appreciated!

Hyderabad, India
Destination Expert
for Hyderabad
reviews: 14
1. Re: Delhi - Agra - Jaipur - bus, train or private car?

As you are coming next weekend and further travelling alone and if you have time please use the Trains for journeys between Delhi-Agra-Jaipur. Being fog seasons the flights have been unpredictable. About the trains as a first step please goahead and do the reservations from the website www.irctc.co.in this website works as per indian timings 5am to 11.30pm As you were enquiring the on which trains i would say to book which ever is available and have pleasant journey.

Delhi-Agra by Shatabdi is 2hrs

Delhi-Jaipur and Agra - Jaipur is approx 5hrs journey.

SpiceJet has flight from Jaipur to Chennai, this is a lowcost airlines www.spicejet.com

Hackensack, New...
reviews: 1
2. Re: Delhi - Agra - Jaipur - bus, train or private car?

We just came back and FOG can be very bad this time of year.. mostyl Delhi and Agra... Jaipur mifhr be somrehat spared

We took express train Delhi to Agra. We had reservation for train Agra to Jaipur but we changed that leg of the trip and ended up hiring a car and driver from the Agra hotel to take us to Jaipur with a stop in Fatehpur Sikri

Virginia
3. Re: Delhi - Agra - Jaipur - bus, train or private car?

I'll check out the train schedules then. By the way, RK, pproximately how much did it cost you to get a car for your trip to Jaipur from Agra? Any hotels in Jaipur that you would recommend?

Ratna - The flight from Jaipur to Chennai looks like a great time saver. And will save my butt on the long journey back to Chennai.

Thanks for the advice.

Hackensack, New...
4. Re: Delhi - Agra - Jaipur - bus, train or private car?

We had trouble finding hotels available in Jaipur during the time we were going to be there... high travel season... We looked into the Sheraton but decided against it since it was a little removed from the city... The Rampaugh Palace was recoimmended but again it was booked... We ended up staying in The Raj Palace... the place was quite nice and the room OK... would be much better if they had new towels to go with all the remodeling they have done... The staff was very helpful, corteus and could not do enough to make our stay pleasant and make us feel welcome...

We hired a car for the drive from Agra to Jaipur through hotel Amarvila (Oberoi) in Agra, consequently, it was high priced but right now I cannot find the amount... The driver was very pleasant and I would not hesitate to recommend him... He might be able to arrange something for you.

His name: Pramodkumar Yadiv

cell: 098 37 848 952

home: 05 62 652 4890

Happy travels

Washington DC...
5. Re: Delhi - Agra - Jaipur - bus, train or private car?

i took the shatabdi express from delhi to agra and then a commuter bus (for 135 ruppees) to agra. what a bargain -- and a great experience at the same time. i was glad that i didn't wind up spending a night in agra as it was my least favorite stop of my trip. i loved the taj mahal, don't get me wrong, but the rest of agra really didn't do it for me.

i had an awesome driver in delhi, his name is atma and i'll give you his contact info if you're interested -- please let me know.

rowephotography@comcast.net

i had a super {rickshaw} driver in jaipur as well, i have his phone number if you need it.

heidi

Virginia
6. Re: Delhi - Agra - Jaipur - bus, train or private car?

Many thanks for your travel tips! It was a great last minute trip, and it was only made possible by the helpful advice I got from everyone at Trip Advisor.

Heidi - thanks for your suggestion on using Atma in New Delhi. He was most helpful. I'd use him again when I go back to New Delhi for a longer visit.

delhi
7. Re: Delhi - Agra - Jaipur - bus, train or private car?

hi

travelling in India itself is a big adventure.

so its all up to you how would you like to travel around as there is every mean of transport available to take you around to these places.

if you want your tour to be planned once u get there the best option would be to hire a car which would take you around and it would be at your disposal so u can even stay longer if u wish to stay at one place but car might cost and very expensive but the car hire would be approximetly $200.

if u want to be own ur own and take it as it comes the best mode is train and bus there is a train every morning for delhi to agra and bus from agra to delhi to make it more interesting from agra get into a local jeep which would charge u 20 rs to fatehpur sikri and another 30rs from faethpur sikri to bharatpur bird sanctury and from bharatpur there is a bus which will take u to jaipur for 150 rs.

thanks

rajan

Washington DC...
8. Re: Delhi - Agra - Jaipur - bus, train or private car?

excellent! i'm glad it worked out great for you!!!!

Yorks,England
9. Re: Delhi - Agra - Jaipur - bus, train or private car?

Rajan2925

Hi sorry to hijack but can you tell me more about the bus from Bharatpur to Jaipur? How often and what time does it run and how long is the journey time?

I can only find one train from agra to jaipur, thats the 2988 dep 17:40

arr 22:20. Does anyone know if theres anything earlier?

Thanks

Hyderabad, India
Destination Expert
for Hyderabad
10. Re: Delhi - Agra - Jaipur - bus, train or private car?

Jaypee : There are more than 2 Trains from Agra to Jaipur the only difference is that some of the Trains pass thru Agra Fort Railway Station and the one you have checked i guess is from Agra Cantt. Railway Station.

There are overall three Agra Railway Stations, Agra City, Agra Fort & Agra Cantt. though Agra Cantt and Agra Fort being the main for Express Trains.

2988 GWL JP INTRCITY *AGRA FORT 18:20 JAIPUR 22:20

Starts from Agra Cantt and also stops at Agra Fort.

4863 MARUDHAR EXPRES *AGRA FORT 06:10 JAIPUR 11:30

(On Mon, Wed, Fri, Sat) Starts from Agra Fort

2307 HWH==JU==EXP *AGRA FORT 19:35 JAIPUR 00:00

Starts from Agra Fort

2985 SDAH JP EXPRESS *AGRA FORT 18:50 JAIPUR 23:30

(On Saturday only) Starts from Agra Fort.

Note the other trains mentioned above are long journey trains passing thru Agra Fort.