We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time traveller to ooty

Which Ooty hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bangalore
First time traveller to ooty

first time driving to Ooty and would like to know:

(1) Best and safest route to Ooty without entering Mysore, preferablyone that is easily pliable.

... (2) Is there any route from Srirangapatna whereby I can go to

Nanjangud and Ooty? I need details.

(3) How safe is it to drive through Masinagudi or Gundelpet

(onward/return travel) ?

Coimbatore, India
Destination Expert
for Chennai (Madras), Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu, Thekkady
reviews: 100
1. Re: First time traveller to ooty

Hi explorer104,

Welcome to Trip Advisor.

Mysore becomes a pivotal point in that stretch and I feel you may avoid entering the city through the ring roads. The options otherwise seem bleak. That is a good highway and you might not face though traffic. The roads are good to drive and best done in day time.

Feel free to revert for any clarifications,

Regards

Prasanna

Bangalore, India
reviews: 62
2. Re: First time traveller to ooty

If you want to avoid Mysore, you can take the Kanakapura road, ie. Bangalore - Kanakapura - Malavalli - Kollegal - Chamrajanagar - Gundlupet - ooty. Its a undivided 2 lane highway with nice green vegetation on the sides. The roads are good too, can keep a constant 90 -100 km/hr.

You can take two ways from Gundlupet to Ooty. One is through Gudalur which is 40 km extra but there are no/few hair pin bends. The other route is via Masinagudi which has 30+ very steep hair pin bends(uphill towards ooty).

Especially if you are travelling with full car, I would recommend you to take the Gundlupet road during onward journey, that way you can visit Pykara lake which is on this route. Take the Masinagudi route on return(downhill towards Bangalore).

Read my recent travel blog on Ooty drive from Bangalore -

…travelpod.com/travel-blog/…tpod.html

Kochi (Cochin...
reviews: 20
3. Re: First time traveller to ooty

HI,

I think the better rout as said by prasnna.you will get good timings and good road .

regards

KERALA DAYZ

4. Re: First time traveller to ooty

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:17 pm, June 22, 2013