We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nilgiri railway - how to get the best from it

Which Ooty hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Gloucestershire
reviews: 14
Nilgiri railway - how to get the best from it

Hi

Has anyone done this trip ? Where is the best place to get on to get the maximum from it all ? Is one night in Otty enough please for a single middle aged traveller ? Many thanks

sue

Pune
reviews: 7
1. Re: Nilgiri railway - how to get the best from it

Dear Gloucester Girl,

Nilgiri Railway start from Mettupalayam & ends at Ooty though never traveled by that train. There are many tourist spots around Ooty. So 1 or 2 days would be sufficient. I would recommend Kodiakanal its really amazing place to be.

Regards,

Mayur

Gloucestershire
2. Re: Nilgiri railway - how to get the best from it

Many thanks, thats much appreciated.

I wanted to do the overnight train journey before the Mettupalayam start of the Nilgiri railway. I was wondering where I got the train to Mettupalayam from, that I understand is overnight arriving just around 7am and I am told that you then cross the line to pick up the Ooty train ? I am coming from England and I dont want to miss any chance to be on the overnight or Ooty trains. Any further thoughts, and many thanks again for your input.

sue

India
reviews: 27
3. Re: Nilgiri railway - how to get the best from it

hi Sue

This Train is known as TOY TRAIN. I had a great experience with this train. As far as I know there is no overnight train from OOTY to Mettupalayam or the other way. As Mayur said it starts from Mettupalayam to Ooty. You can catch it from Ooty in the morning and can get down at Coonor. Coonor is on the way to Mettupalayam, it’s a nice half day tourist place. You can catch a train at 8:00 am or may be after that. There are three trains which runs between the Origin and the destination. I am not very sure about the time but ya I remember there was a train after 8:00am also which was the last train from Ooty. Lot of scenic beauty on the way. Nice Tea estates, Tea plantation on the hills.

I must say 1 day is not enough to visit Ooty. You need atleast 2 days + 1 day to ride the train. So Plan accordingly.

Gloucestershire
4. Re: Nilgiri railway - how to get the best from it

Hi

Many thanks.

From what I have read when you fly in from the UK you can get an overnight train to somewhere (dont know quite where !) and you arrive at 7am in the morning, just in time to get the 7.30am train to Ooty. I think the train journey is about 4.5 hours isnt it to Ooty, and I think I will book a couple of days there now as it sounds great. Supposingly then you get a taxi or something back down to Mettupalayam, which I presume is the start of the Toy Train journey ?

Any more information you have would be much appreciated. What month do you think it would be best to go also, I dont mind heat !

sue

New Delhi, India
5. Re: Nilgiri railway - how to get the best from it

Dear Gloucestergirl

If you are travelling from UK to Ooty, you can consider these points:

Day1. Catch a flight from London to Bengaluru (Air India and Kingfisher operate direct flights daily). stay in Bangaluru (if you wish).

Day 2. Catch a bus/car to Ooty. If you have a car, it gives you flexibility of visiting places of your choice. Hiring a car in Ooty could be more expensive.

Day 3. Catch a morning toy train to Coonoor. Come back to Ooty by the afternoon. If train timings don't suit you, you can go there by train and come back by bus/car. The train journey is amazing.

Day 4. Madumalai forest is nearby, known for elephants and tigers. Not worth missing. You can make it as a day trip or visit while going back to Bengaluru.

For information and reservation relataed to Indian Railways, please visit:

www.irctc.co.in

Gloucestershire
6. Re: Nilgiri railway - how to get the best from it

Hi

Many thanks, much appreciated.

sue

Chennai
Destination Expert
for Chennai (Madras), Tamil Nadu
reviews: 26
7. Re: Nilgiri railway - how to get the best from it

Hi Sue

Would suggest you fly from London into Chennai.

Spend the day at Chennai (visit Mahabalipuram, St.Thomas Mount, Santhome Bascillica, Kapaleeshwara Temple) and take the night train from Chennai to Mettupalayam.

The train is Nilgiris express, also called the Blue Mountian express (train Number 2671, departs Chennai 21:00 hours arrives Mettupalayam next day 06:30 hours). You can walk across the track to board the Mountain train (also know as the toy train).

Check out some info about this here:

www.go2india.in/tamilnadu/ooty-train.php

You can make your reservations for the trains at this site:

www.irctc.co.in

Ooty holds quite a wide variety of choices, both for sight seeing and for stay. Depending on your interest (Nature, Wildlife, Heritage etc, you can choose from a range of options). From Taj Savoy (a 5 strahotel part of the Taj group) right up to budget options, there's a wide range to chose from as well. Do let me know your preferences and i can suggest a few options.

hope this helps

regards

Rajan

Gloucestershire
8. Re: Nilgiri railway - how to get the best from it

Rajan

Thank you very much for your informative email, that has helped a lot and answered the questions I needed answers to. I so want to do the toy train bit, but thought I might as well do the overnight train also. I saw it all on the TV and it looked great. So, thank you so much.

Sue

Gloucestershire
9. Re: Nilgiri railway - how to get the best from it

Your information has made all the difference to my planning, thank you so much.

Kindest regards

Sue

Chennai
Destination Expert
for Chennai (Madras), Tamil Nadu
reviews: 26
10. Re: Nilgiri railway - how to get the best from it

You are welcome anytime . . . . . have a wonderful trip

regards

Rajan