We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas in Madurai

Which Madurai hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Naples, Italy
Christmas in Madurai

What's it like around this time there? Why is it a peak season? Last Q: how are non-Hindus treated at Meenakshi temple in terms of access?

Thanks in advance,

atikomal

Groningen
1. Re: Christmas in Madurai

Hello!

We were in Madurai November 2004. Great place! people don't bother you when you go into the Meenakshi temple. Not all parts are accessible for non_Hindus. Most of it is.

Paul

kampala
2. Re: Christmas in Madurai

Any one can visit temple irrespective of relegion and/or relegions. Peak season is mid jan which is called pongal-farmers day.

Bangalore, India
3. Re: Christmas in Madurai

December is peak tourist season all over India, mainly because it is winter and the weather is pleasant.

Madurai is a fabulous place. The temple is impressive, but the previous poster is incorrect about access for non-hindus. Non-hindus may enter certain sections (most) of the temple complex, but NOT the inner sanctum. I know this from personal experience...I was just there in January. You may be able to talk your way in or whatever, but I didn't attempt it. The town of Madurai itself is wonderful...fun to wander around the streets and back lanes. Can't say as I had any really fantastically memorable meals there, but many of the hotels have rooftop restaurants, which are great in the evenings.

The sound and light show at the old palace can be skipped...it's a bit lame and we had a cloud of mosquitoes hovering over our heads the whole time.

The surrounding countryside is gorgeous. We took some drives to villages and places outside Madurai and it was a lot of fun and very beautiful.

kodaikanal
4. Re: Christmas in Madurai

Access to the temple should not be a problem. Consider visiting Kodaikanal which is only 120 kms away and stay at Cinnabar bed and breakfast. www.geocities.com/cinnabarfarm