We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

madurai-rameshwaram-pondichery-tirupati-chennai trip

Mumbai (Bombay...
reviews: 1
madurai-rameshwaram-pondichery-tirupati-chennai trip

Dear All,

pl. advice us on foll. i ternary. we r group of 5 adult & 2 children.

day 1 -reach madurai at 21.00

day 2 - meenakshi temple, rameshwar

day 3 - thanjavur, trichy, night stay at pondichery,

day 4 - pondichery (do we get early morning bus to tirupati so that we can reach by 11 a.m.)

day 5 -tirupati (taking afternoon darshan pass)

day 6 - chennai

day 7 - evening departure from chennai

my query,

1) is it advisable to hire innova or tavera for full trip or we drop down car at pondicherry & than took train or bus to tirupati?

2) is any other place we can do enroute from madurai till pondichery.

3)3 star hotel name suggestion.

4)Instead of going to tirupati from pondi, if we do chennai-tirupati-chennai, is it feasible from travel time point?

we thank u in advance to all destination expert & fellow travelers.

71 replies to this topic
Kodaikanal, India
reviews: 91
1. Re: madurai-rameshwaram-pondichery-tirupati-chennai trip

1) is it advisable to hire innova or tavera for full trip or we drop down car at pondicherry & than took train or bus to tirupati?

Hire Innova for thr Whole trip

2) is any other place we can do enroute from madurai till pondichery.

Madurai - Trichy - Tanjore - Kumbakonam - Chidabaram - Pondicherry

3)3 star hotel name suggestion.

Madurai - Royal Court , JC Residency

Kumbakonam - Fortune Hotel, Hotel Samgam

Pondicherry - Le Royal Park, Hotel Green Park, Ginger,

Tirupathi - Hotel Bheema

4)Instead of going to tirupati from pondi, if we do chennai-tirupati-chennai, is it feasible from travel time point?

Nowadays there is No Bus Service to Tirupathi since from Telugana Issue, Pondicherry - Tirupathi train is Passenger Mail that too Unreserved & Daily 5 trains from Chennai - Tirupathi that too Always waiting list.

i Suggest you to go by Cab

Your's Traveller Friend

$ichot

Coimbatore, India
Destination Expert
for Chennai (Madras), Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu, Thekkady
reviews: 102
2. Re: madurai-rameshwaram-pondichery-tirupati-chennai trip

Hi vipul99,

IMPO, this itinerary of yours seems a little too ambitious. By naming the places, are you just going to put a tick mark or plan to do something there. You have not mentioned the age of the kids and the mix of the group. Are there any senior citizens? Let me explain what I personally feel and how practical it is going to be,

Day 2 - Madurai Temple - Breakfast and depart to Rameswaram by 9.00 AM. Reach Rameswaram earliest by 12.30 or 1.00, if you go non stop. So, what are the plans for Rameswaram, just visiting the temple or do you have plans for the famous holy dip in the 22 wells (this can be done only in the mornings)? Overnight at Rameswaram

Day 3 - Leave after breakfast, may be by 8.30 AM, a minimum 5 hrs journey. Hence, arrive at Tanjore by 1.30 PM, lunch and visit the Big Temple (check on the temple timings). Leave for Trichy by 4.00 PM and it is roughly an hour drive, reach by 5.00 PM. What are the plans for Trichy or are you just passing by? Trichy to Pondicherry is again a 4 hr drive. So, if you just pass by Trichy also, you will reach Pondy only by 9.00 PM to retire for the day.

Day 4 - Depart early to reach Tirupati. Why are we going to Pondy is the question here? After reaching Tirupati, the plan seems to be in order.

My questions to you are as follows,

1. What is the purpose of the trip?

2. Are all these places to be visited compulsorily or some be avoided?

3. Practically, the first leg till Tirupati seems very difficult. Is there any idea behind this?

If you can be a little more detailed, the plan can be reworked which will make the trip more relaxed, comfortable and cost effective.

The above are my personal opinions and not intended to be taken in any other sense. Please feel free to revert for any further clarifications.

Regards

Prasanna

Mumbai (Bombay...
3. Re: madurai-rameshwaram-pondichery-tirupati-chennai trip

thaks sichot for ur suggestion.

Mumbai (Bombay...
4. Re: madurai-rameshwaram-pondichery-tirupati-chennai trip

Dear Prasanna,

thx. for ur concern. ans. to ur question as follows:

we r group 5 adult incl. my 73yrs. mother & two children of age 12 & 7 yrs.

1)What is the purpose of the trip?

Its religious for us & educational trip for my children.

2. Are all these places to be visited compulsorily or some be avoided?

there is no compulsion & we can avoid the place as well add also.

3. Practically, the first leg till Tirupati seems very difficult. Is there any idea behind this?

no idea, we thought that since we r hiring car so better to show historical places like tanjore, pondichery, mahabalipuram, etc. to our child.

we would be very much appreciate if u give ur kind suggestion. pl. note that we have taken our 5th day morn. darshan pass.

pl. also let us know how can we cut cost of our travelling?

once again thanks. waiting for ur reply.

Coimbatore, India
Destination Expert
5. Re: madurai-rameshwaram-pondichery-tirupati-chennai trip

Hi vipul99,

Don't mention. I was only concerned as I definitely thought Senior Citizens might be there. One good thing is that the children are grown up and they would not be much of a concern, just that they need to be entertained.

You basically need to decide which are the places you want to do based on the logistics I have given, choose the places you want to do. You may avoid Pondy as you are already doing Rameswaram, which is a seaside destination, and Pondy also is a deviation from the plan. Instead, you may consider Madurai, Rameswaram, Kumbakonam, Thanjavur, Trichy, Tirupathi and Chennai(incl Mahabalipuram).

Do you plan for the dip in the wells in Rameswaram?

Will consolidate the same based on your choices.

Regards

Prasanna

Mumbai (Bombay...
6. Re: madurai-rameshwaram-pondichery-tirupati-chennai trip

Thanks prasanna for prompt reply,

we would like to go for dip, but we don't know time reqd.

can u guide us for whole trip car hire or we can roam around madurai with car for 3 days & than leave for chennai by train from car hire cost cutting.

waiting for ur reply.

Coimbatore, India
Destination Expert
7. Re: madurai-rameshwaram-pondichery-tirupati-chennai trip

Hi...

My suggestion would be as follows,

Day 1 - Madurai Local sight seeing. Meenakshi Amman Temple and other temples of your interest(I would recommend Thiruparamkundram) and Library (again if interested). These may be completed before lunch if planned correctly. Post lunch, leave for Rameswaram. You have the options of seeing the historically famous temples of Thirupullani, Uthiragosamangai and Devipattinam (do your research before deciding).

Overnight in Rameswaram

Day 2 - The dip in the 22 holy wells would take close to an hour and half depending on the crowd. I normally plan Rameswaram in the following fashion. Start early for the 4.30 Am darshan of the Spadiga Linga(not required to have a bath before) and then come back to room, refresh and reach the Agni Theertham (the sea, which is considered the first well) by 6.30 or 7.00 Am. Carry a set of dry clothes in a plastic bag. Then, you would go in the queue for the entire stretch of wells and then you may change in the enclosures inside the temple itself and then have the darshan of Lord Ramanathaswamy. Then you proceed to your room and may plan breakfast enroute. The main Rameswaram part is done before 10.00 Am. After this it is upto you on what all you want to see and do. I would not recommend Dhanushkodi for this trip as timelines are short. You may consider looking at the other spots if interested, else may relax for sometime and leave for Kumbakonam. Chidambaram is very far and in case you want to do it, then you can plan Chidambaram, Pondicherry, Mahabalipuram and Chennai. This is one route. Else you can consider Kumbakonam, Thanjavur, Trichy & Chennai. The option would be based on your interest.

Leaving Rameswaram, do Kumbakonam & Tanjore and overnight at Trichy. Else you can also reverse the same as Rameswaram - Trichy (overnight in Trichy) in which case you need to leave a little early from Rameswaram as the drive would take 5 - 6 hours. Do important temples of Trichy, namely Rockfort and Srirangam.

Day 3 - Depends on what you have chosen to do on Day 2. If in Trichy, leave for Tanjore / Kumbakonam / Chidambaram and overnight in Pondicherry.

Day 4 - Pondicherry local sight seeing and leave for Tirupathi. Overnight Tirupathi.

Day 5 - Tirupathi Darshan and proceed to Chennai.

As i have given some options, you may now do your research on the places you want to see and revert, so that we can firm up the final plan and also ascertain the vehicle requirement.

Regards

Prasanna

Mumbai (Bombay...
8. Re: madurai-rameshwaram-pondichery-tirupati-chennai trip

thanks prasanna,

sorry for late reply as I was not in town.

pl. note that As mentioned eariler, day 2 rameshwaram is ok.

we want to cover thanjavur, mahabalipuram,pondichery provided if it comes on the way to tirupati. we took trichy as only night halt, if it is not come in way than we may skip.

can u guide us for whole trip car hire or we can roam around madurai with car for 3 days & than leave for chennai by train for cutting car hire cost.

Coimbatore, India
Destination Expert
9. Re: madurai-rameshwaram-pondichery-tirupati-chennai trip

Hi...

Shortlist the places which you want to see, so that I can suggest an itinerary.

Regards

Prasanna

Mumbai (Bombay...
10. Re: madurai-rameshwaram-pondichery-tirupati-chennai trip

thx. I have already mentioned above.

we want to cover thanjavur, mahabalipuram,pondichery provided if it comes on the way to tirupati. we took trichy as only night halt, if it is not come in way than we may skip.

can u guide us for whole trip car hire or we can roam around madurai with car for 3 days & than leave for chennai by train for cutting car hire cost.

waiting for reply as I think, I have to finalise hotel.

can u let me know how's TTDC hotel?

Reply to: madurai-rameshwaram-pondichery-tirupati-chennai trip
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted